What Are You Watching On NETFLIX, Amazon Prime & Hulu? (All things Streaming)

Ace Nova

Im watching Alt-Right: Age of Rage

Its okay, would likely illuminate the situation for those who haven't paid attention. Not sure what conclusions it will draw, if any.

One of the interview subjects is masked and identified by his title of "Alt-Right Meme Artist" :lol:. If I only learn one thing from this doc its that "Alt-Right Meme Artist" is Alt-Right lingo for "Incel living with Mom." :lol:

1 hour ago, soon said:

Im watching Alt-Right: Age of Rage

Its okay, would likely illuminate the situation for those who haven't paid attention. Not sure what conclusions it will draw, if any.

One of the interview subjects is masked and identified by his title of "Alt-Right Meme Artist" :lol:. If I only learn one thing from this doc its that "Alt-Right Meme Artist" is Alt-Right lingo for "Incel living with Mom." :lol:

Is there one for SJWs too? those are just as bad.

19 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Is there one for SJWs too? those are just as bad.

"Just as bad" in regards to murder, hate crimes and dreams of racial segregation? That would be news to me.

Do you mean is there a documentary about a slang term for overprivileged undergrads with underdeveloped politics? Im not sure if there is. But the interview subjects in this documentary who speak against the Alt Right are very well spoken and informed people. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, soon said:

"Just as bad" in regards to murder, hate crimes and dreams of racial segregation? That would be news to me.

Do you mean is there a documentary about a slang term for overprivileged undergrads with underdeveloped politics? Im not sure if there is. But the interview subjects in this documentary who speak against the Alt Right are very well spoken and informed people. 

I watched it a few days ago.  It's obviously biased.  When one of the main people in the documentary is an open and proud member of Antifa and that is regarded as "normal"....then yes, you have an openly biased documentary.

That and the fact that they labeled the entire "Alt-Right" as a new name for white supremacy shows the clear bias. Although I'd imagine some white supremacists as being part of the alt-right, not everyone in the alt-right is a white supremacist....not even close.

They make it out to be some large segment of the population and nothing could be further from the truth.

7 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I watched it a few days ago.  It's obviously biased.  When one of the main people in the documentary is an open and proud member of Antifa and that is regarded as "normal"....then yes, you have an openly biased documentary.

That and the fact that they labeled the entire "Alt-Right" as a new name for white supremacy shows the clear bias. Although I'd imagine some white supremacists as being part of the alt-right, not everyone in the alt-right is a white supremacist....not even close.

They make it out to be some large segment of the population and nothing could be further from the truth.

Possibly some Muricans are erroneously identifying as Alt Right, when they arent then? Also the documentary film makers didnt even give the definition, Gavin Mccain who identifies as Alt-Lite gives the definition. The Alt-Right is absolutely a rebranded white nationalist movement.

Researching and educating about white nationalist organizations for 20+ years is an absolutely "Normal" thing to do.

The Documentary shows us how the two men who originated the term Alt-Right openly share their racism and want a white ethno state. No way you watched the doc and missed that? People dont get to redefine the term they coined.

The fact that the racist pigs come off looking bad doesnt show bias.

43 minutes ago, soon said:

Possibly some Muricans are erroneously identifying as Alt Right, when they arent then? Also the documentary film makers didnt even give the definition, Gavin Mccain who identifies as Alt-Lite gives the definition. The Alt-Right is absolutely a rebranded white nationalist movement.

Researching and educating about white nationalist organizations for 20+ years is an absolutely "Normal" thing to do.

The Documentary shows us how the two men who originated the term Alt-Right openly share their racism and want a white ethno state. No way you watched the doc and missed that? People dont get to redefine the term they coined.

The fact that the racist pigs come off looking bad doesnt show bias.

It's pointless having this conversation with someone on the far left.  You can't see the obvious bias because you are biased.

As far as the term "alt-right" it was coined initially by people who wanted an "alternative" to the standard politics of the right.  It was then adopted by that Spencer guy and it took a more extreme meaning.

Since then the media uses the term to describe just about anyone who is on the right and supports Trump.  

Now there's terms like "alt-light" etc to distinguish the moderate to extreme elements within.  Using their own analysis, they state that maybe 10% within the alt-right as being the extremist/racists/white supremacists.

So if the broader term of alt-right makes up about 25% of the population, 10% within that 25% are the extremists, etc...which would make it around 2.5% of the overall population.  

The documentary makes it seem as if 30-40% of the US population is part of that extreme group and that's false.  It's not even remotely close.

Edit: It's actually substantially less than I estimated.

According to this study, roughly 24 million Americans share "alt-right" beliefs. 

https://www.google.com/amp/nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2018/08/study-24-million-white-americans-have-alt-right-beliefs.html

So 10% of those would be roughly 2.4 million people that are the extremists.

That's less than 1% of the overall population.

That's a far cry from what the documentary was attempting to portray.

Edited by Kasanova King

30 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

It's pointless having this conversation with someone on the far left.  You can't see the obvious bias because you are biased.

As far as the term "alt-right" it was coined initially by people who wanted an "alternative" to the standard politics of the right.  It was then adopted by that Spencer guy and it took a more extreme meaning.

Since then the media uses the term to describe just about anyone who is on the right and supports Trump.  

Now there's terms like "alt-light" etc to distinguish the moderate to extreme elements within.  Using their own analysis, they state that maybe 10% within the alt-right as being the extremist/racists/white supremacists.

So if the broader term of alt-right makes up about 25% of the population, 10% within that 25% are the extremists, etc...which would make it around 2.5% of the overall population.  

The documentary makes it seem as if 30-40% of the US population is part of that extreme group and that's false.  It's not even remotely close.

Edit: It's actually substantially less than I estimated.

According to this study, roughly 24 million Americans share "alt-right" beliefs. 

https://www.google.com/amp/nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2018/08/study-24-million-white-americans-have-alt-right-beliefs.html

So 10% of those would be roughly 2.4 million people that are the extremists.

That's less than 1% of the overall population.

That's a far cry from what the documentary was attempting to portray.

I disagree, as does the Doc. For instance the man who originated Alternative Right, prior to the web site Alt Right is featured heavily through out the doc. But me pointing that out apparently doesn't matter since you think I cant be objective. I hope you see the irony in that at least.

Let your Country fall apart, see if I really care :lol:

12 minutes ago, soon said:

I disagree, as does the Doc. For instance the man who originated Alternative Right, prior to the web site Alt Right is featured heavily through out the doc. But me pointing that out apparently doesn't matter since you think I cant be objective. I hope you see the irony in that at least.

Let your Country fall apart, see if I really care :lol:

Do you even read what you write?

Your post, just like the scare tactics of the documentary, is nothing but sensationalism.

"If you don't stop the alt-right and that 1% of the US population within the alt-right,  that shares extremist beliefs, your country will fall apart".

Like seriously?

:facepalm:

:lol:

Edited by Kasanova King

7 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

Do you even read what you write?

Your post, just like the scare tactics of the documentary, is nothing but sensationalism.

"If you don't stop the alt-right and that 1% of the US population within the alt-right,  that shares extremist beliefs, your country will fall apart".

Like seriously?

:facepalm:

:lol:

The idea with putting quotations around words is that the words that fall between the quotation marks are supposed to be words I actually said. Your words that you placed inside those quotation marks are you arguing agsint the incorrect statement you made about how the numbers fall. I sidestepped that completely. Never spoke to it at all.

What I am talking about is how all the racists in the doc called for a White Ethno State. The founders of the Alt-Right go on camera and espouse white nationalism. Like Ive already said there may be a lot of Muricans getting confused and erroneously self identifying as Alt-Right. Alt-Right is white nationalism, not because this simple lil doc for the masses highlights it, but because its founders say so. The fact that you can watch this doc and come out swinging in defence of the Alt Right is kinda gross TBH.

Edited by soon

17 minutes ago, soon said:

The idea with putting quotations around words is that the words that fall between the quotation marks are supposed to be words I actually said. Your words that you placed inside those quotation marks are you arguing agsint the incorrect statement you made about how the numbers fall. I sidestepped that completely. Never spoke to it at all.

What I am talking about how all the racists in the doc called for a White Ethno State. The founders of the Alt-Right go on camera and espouse white nationalism. Like Ive already said there may be a lot of Muricans getting confused and erroneously self identifying as Alt-Right. Alt-Right is white nationalism, not because this simple lil doc for the masses highlights it, but because its founders say so. The fact that you can watch this doc and come out swinging in defence of the Alt Right is kinda gross TBH.

I'm not defending anyone.

My entire point is that the documentary is biased and uses sensationalism and scare tactics in making the extreme elements of the alt-right as some large segment of the population and justifies groups like Antifa...making them out to be some sort of heroes ...when they are really fighting against less than 1% of the US population.  It's a joke.

What hurts the US the most (since you seemed to be concerned) is that most that view this documentary and documentaries like this, will think that everyone who voted for Trump is some sort of crazed, extremist,  neo Nazi.    And that's 💯% false.

Do you not see a problem with that?

Edited by Kasanova King

14 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

I'm not defending anyone.

My entire point is that the documentary is biased and uses sensationalism and scare tactics in making the extreme elements of the alt-right as some large segment of the population and justifies groups like Antifa...making them out to be some sort of heroes ...when they are really fighting against less than 1% of the US population.  It's a joke.

What hurts the US the most (since you seemed to be concerned) is that most that view this documentary and documentaries like this, will think that everyone who voted for Trump is some sort of crazed, extremist,  neo Nazi.    And that's 💯% false.

Do you not see a problem with that?

Oh, I see. We are talking across purposes here. No, Im not concerned with the movie showing a bias or being sensational. All the interviewees get equal screen time - expect maybe the "Alt Right Meme Artist" lol. If this was peoples first glimpse into the subject of the Alt Right I'd say its better than living in US and having no exposure to the subject what so ever.

I fear that you yourself have succumbed to sensationalism surrounding "Antifa." The rise of white nationalism, radicalized violence and murder absolutely does justify opposition. Dudes been working and researching organized hate for 20+ years before youth in NA took on the European moniker "antifa." His father raised him with in the civil rights culture. He's not masked. He's not anonymous. He's a smart, well spoken guy who does Gods work documenting racist figures and organizations. The only reason that he comes of in a good light and the racist dogs come off poorly is because of the content of each persons character.

18 minutes ago, soon said:

Oh, I see. We are talking across purposes here. No, Im not concerned with the movie showing a bias or being sensational. All the interviewees get equal screen time - expect maybe the "Alt Right Meme Artist" lol. If this was peoples first glimpse into the subject of the Alt Right I'd say its better than living in US and having no exposure to the subject what so ever.

I fear that you yourself have succumbed to sensationalism surrounding "Antifa." The rise of white nationalism, radicalized violence and murder absolutely does justify opposition. Dudes been working and researching organized hate for 20+ years before youth in NA took on the European moniker "antifa." His father raised him with in the civil rights culture. He's not masked. He's not anonymous. He's a smart, well spoken guy who does Gods work documenting racist figures and organizations. The only reason that he comes of in a good light and the racist dogs come off poorly is because of the content of each persons character.

I actually think he did come out in a good light.  For starters, he was open about his beliefs and being in Antifa...which is rare...considering that the vast majority of Antifa hide behind masks, etc.  I had no issues with him stating his beliefs etc.  I may not agree with his tactics but this is a free country and he is entitled to do what he wants (outside of breaking the law).  And my issue isn't even with Antifa.  They have rights to protest etc.  I don't like them protesting others' rights to free speech but again, it's a free country and outside of breaking the law, they also have the right of free speech, protest, etc

My issue is that the documentary takes a miniscule % of the population (on both sides) and makes it out to be potentially some sort of future civil war.  And the danger in that, is that if enough people believe it, it could create even more extreme divisiveness...based on people believing there are a larger amount of extreme elements on opposite sides...when in reality there really aren't....and most Americans are much closer together ideologically than this documentary wants you to believe.

What this documentary fails to realize is that the opposite of love is indifference...not hate.  So when you combat hate with hate, all you are doing is giving the other side further credence.

Edited by Kasanova King

5 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

I actually think he did come out in a good light.  For starters, he was open about his beliefs and being in Antifa...which is rare...considering that the vast majority of Antifa hide behind masks, etc.  I had no issues with him stating his beliefs etc.  I may not agree with his tactics but this is a free country and he is entitled to do what he wants (outside of breaking the law).  And my issue isn't even with Antifa.  They have rights to protest etc.  I don't like them protesting others' rights to free speech but again, it's a free country and outside of breaking the law, they also have the right of free speech, protest, etc

We agree here. Id actually like to get some mentoring from the guy... and grab a pint.

My issue is that the documentary takes a miniscule % of the population (on both sides) and makes it out to be potentially some sort of future civil war.  And the danger in that, is that if enough people believe it, it could create even more extreme divisiveness...based on people believing there are a larger amount of extreme elements on opposite sides...when in reality there really aren't....and most Americans are much closer together ideologically than this documentary wants you to believe.

I didnt have the same take away as you I guess. An Alt Right personality (an alt Liter whom Im sure we can agree is viewed on his tv show by many Alt Righters) defined the Alt Right with a basic chart. And then the Alt Rights founders talked at length about White Nationalism. Unless the accusation is that them speaking in there own words about themselves is self-sensationalization? 

I have no recollection of the film makers citing what percent of the population is Alt-Right. I dont think that happened but correct me if Im forgetting something?

The film showcases anti fascist voices other then antifa, including victim/survivor communities of white nationalist violence.

most Americans are much closer together ideologically than this documentary wants you to believe.

I dont think they want the viewers to believe that. They give the last word to Daryl who says "...We aren't divided..." to close out the film.

Also, err, you engaged me saying 'its no point in talking to far lefties because they have no objectivity' or whatever... so... ;)

What this documentary fails to realize is that the opposite of love is indifference...not hate.  So when you combat hate with hate, all you are doing is giving the other side further credence.

I dont think that by featuring someone from the SPLC they are preaching the spread of hate?

And I agree with you in general. 'Loving back real hard' is basically a platitude. Love is being driven by love to research, expose, educate about and undo fash infrastructure. That is what it takes to beat hate. Which is what Daryl and the SPLC do :shrugs:

There is a long standing decentralized network of Anti-Racist Action in NA. One of its public figures is Scott Crow. This interview with him and former Panther Malik Rahim gives a sober and accurate look at what antifascist organizing looks like day to day. After Katrina these two co-founded Common Ground. They offered medical clinics for 1000s. They cleared debris and helped rebuild the town. They also had to defend against white people who - on camera in this news feature - describe driving around shooting Black people in the chaos following the storm as "pheasant season." Common Ground did amazing work and were infiltrated by the FBI for their troubles, whereas none of the lynching squads were brought to justice. If you get the chance, check it out.

Yes its RT, but the interviewees arent. And we are discussing something from Netflix, who isnt even pretending to be a news outlet :) 

Edited by soon

On 2/13/2019 at 10:07 AM, lukepowell1988 said:

But you know there just going to ruin the franchise with a third movie.

Going to be like the original TMNT 3 all over again what a crock of shit that was 

Eh, I don't think the third film will be worse than the live action series from FOX. Now THAT was a disaster.