What Are You Watching On NETFLIX, Amazon Prime & Hulu? (All things Streaming)

Ace Nova

3 hours ago, soon said:

It didnt strike me that way. but now that you mention it I can understand where you're coming from. Im not sure that they make out "so much" according to anyone but you and Hopper though :lol:. But it certainly is more then is typical.

Yeah, it wasn't that much but they couldn't keep their hands off each other, and that's all cute and what not, but to me they are still really young kids and I don't really want to watch kids that young making out... I guess I'm just getting old! What happened to a kiss on the cheek at that age and nothing else? Haha.

3 hours ago, soon said:

Ep 1 observations:

Reveal hidden contents

The opening sequence is a very cool Star Wars reference 

its in the infamous year of 1984... and we already have Dustin surveilling the Soviets.

The cassette tapes shown were both Canadian - Cory Hart and Bryan Adams. Just saying.

When Hopper says "Im going in" to talk to the kid about their kissing, Im confident its a reference to the 'behind the scenes' stuff from last season where it was revealed that the actor who kisses 11 whispered "Im coming in" as a courtesy when they filmed their kissing scene.

Im not into seeing sad Dustin. And I think Steve would have a bit more confidence with the ladies after saving peoples lives by slaying interdemensional monsters! And youd think word would get around? So I imagine that their setting up for Dustin and Steve to be having lots more bro time. And that I can at least get behind.

Does Max speak to anyone in the gang other than Lucas?? She's not just his tag along gf, she's part of the crew. Maybe she does and in one viewing I didnt notice?

The Romero reference is a nice touch imho to set the true tone of that era. Parallels the Mall killing all the local small business, nicely. The mall is a monster too. And its very much a commentary on consumerism that kids who survived the trauma of monsters stalking them and killing their loved ones want to watch a monster flick, because thats whats been marketed to them.

The episode has a lot of exposition and set ups and for me I'd doubt it will become a classic episode, but its fun and Im interested in the various yarns... Well, a demon-possessed-rat-stashed-cougar-shagger might be a bit much if thats where that is headed.

Ryder doesnt age!! These kids will look older then her in no time!!

I also noticed a poster of R.E.M. in Jonathan's room... that's kinda cool, would be even better if they played some R.E.M. music instead of that cheesy 80's music.

I agree with what you said about Ryder, she looks just as fine as she did in the 90's.

37 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yeah, it wasn't that much but they couldn't keep their hands off each other, and that's all cute and what not, but to me they are still really young kids and I don't really want to watch kids that young making out... I guess I'm just getting old! What happened to a kiss on the cheek at that age and nothing else? Haha.

Speaking of getting old, I watched episode 2 just now and Im wearing the same tank top as Lucas. This made me seriously question if my shirt was age appropriate! :lol: 

Episode 2 and the second that I saw of ep 3 are pretty heavy at some parts. Lots of stuff is (for me) fairly graphic. I think that really reinforces your point about the kids kissing - everything seems a bit blunt. I guess one asks if its gratuitous or honest, and what role honesty even plays in in big tv. 

Spoiler

I can say that I dont think Hoppers reaction is a great part of his character development. I think they missed the chance to do something better with the subject. But I guess that its maybe accurate to the era?

51 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I also noticed a poster of R.E.M. in Jonathan's room... that's kinda cool, would be even better if they played some R.E.M. music instead of that cheesy 80's music.

They played a madonna track so they must be monied enough to get anything, so yeah, the soundtrack couldve been cooler. REM sold a staggering number of albums in the 80's, up there with the pop acts! Incredible! I believe that the Who are part of this seasons soundtrack!!

• Like 1

On 6-7-2019 at 1:14 AM, soon said:

Hide contents

I can say that I dont think Hoppers reaction is a great part of his character development. I think they missed the chance to do something better with the subject. But I guess that its maybe accurate to the era?

It's not, but he went from being a grumpy bachelor mourning the loss of his daughter to being responsible for a teenage girl who grew up in a lab and trained to kill people with her super powers. That has bad news written all over it and he is obviously going to make bad decisions. Anyway, I liked the second episode more than the first. It's nice to see Dustin and Steve team up again, they're a good duo.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's not, but he went from being a grumpy bachelor mourning the loss of his daughter to being responsible for a teenage girl who grew up in a lab and trained to kill people with her super powers. That has bad news written all over it and he is obviously going to make bad decisions.

When you put it that way... yeah, great point! Poor Hop. I never thought about his own sexual frustration too, making it that much less pleasant to witness romance.

30 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's nice to see Dustin and Steve team up again, they're a good duo.

Yes!!! Love it!! Id be down for a spin off show at this point

• Like 1

Ep 6 of ST3 is incredible!!! I dont recall ever being more thrilled and entertained by a tv show. And Im crushing on Robbin.

Spoiler

The cold open is so fun! And how do they cover so many textures and story in one episode and have it all feel so well paced?

Im really enjoying watching young people kick the shit out of adults!! 'This is for climate change!! This is for 2008!! This is for ISIS!! You got a mortgage and supported a family with a grade 12 education because you worked at a strong union that you contributed nothing to and even voted against - and youre upset with me that the economy you handed me doesnt support that utopia - and I'm the soft one?? Take that!!! Karate chop!! :headbang:

Mike was absolutely right in being cautious about Elle. Max is wrong and knows nothing about the situation.

Fuck yeah Dustin with the cattle prod!!! And Lucas' sister is really growing on me.

The actor playing Billy is nailing it! And what a sad story.

Thralls are one of my favourite beings from the monster pantheon. I hope we still see more now that they are assimilating into the flayer.

16 minutes ago, soon said:

Ep 6 of ST3 is incredible!!! I dont recall ever being more thrilled and entertained by a tv show. And Im crushing on Robbin.

Reveal hidden contents

The cold open is so fun! And how do they cover so many textures and story in one episode and have it all feel so well paced?

Im really enjoying watching young people kick the shit out of adults!! 'This is for climate change!! This is for 2008!! This is for ISIS!! You got a mortgage and supported a family with a grade 12 education because you worked at a strong union that you contributed nothing to and even voted against - and youre upset with me that the economy you handed me doesnt support that utopia - and I'm the soft one?? Take that!!! Karate chop!! :headbang:

Mike was absolutely right in being cautious about Elle. Max is wrong and knows nothing about the situation.

Fuck yeah Dustin with the cattle prod!!! And Lucas' sister is really growing on me.

Thralls are one of my favourite beings from the monster pantheon. I hope we still see more now that they are assimilating into the flayer.

Thanks for using the hidden content, I'm watching episode 5 tonight. I like her too, I just found out she is Ethan Hawke and Uma Thurman's daughter in real life!

• GNFNR 1

23 hours ago, soon said:

Reveal hidden contents

I finished Season 3 on Sunday. I liked it FAR better than Season 2. 

• Like 1

One documentary that really hit me recently was Last Breath on Netflix.

Can you imagine a more inhospitable environment to find yourself in? Bottom of the ocean, alone, pitch black, knowing you will die in 5 minutes. Terrifying because this really happened :cry:

On July 10, 2019 at 12:07 PM, RussTCB said:

I finished Season 3 on Sunday. I liked it FAR better than Season 2. 

Finished season 3 last night. Agreed. I liked this season a lot!! Id kinda wondered what was taking so long for a new season, given what 2 was. But it all makes sense now - amazing production throughout. Pretty great writing. Loved the editing too.

So, y'all wore those shorts the kids wear throughout?? :P

My reflections, real spoilers.

Spoiler

I feel dense having to ask someone, but Hop is in the other realm now right? Or was he incinerated?

The look on Hops face as he consented to his fate was powerful. What amazing acting!!!

When Elle leaves the mall and realized that Hop is gone, I cant belive that Ryder (and Mike if he saw) wouldnt run to her and embrace her. Reminds me of Chewie getting ignored after Hans death in SW.

Billy's death was too real. My heart broke for Max. Lower class white men having been moaning to have their heros back in film. Now they have two, and both teach sacrifice for the diverse community.

I love when a character is there right before my eyes, but it kinda sneaks up on me about just how central they are. Murray was that. Murray and Alexie were so amazing in ep 7!! (and if his role as a sleeper plot line is a thing, he instigated the sexual relationship that might produce a baby that Nancy and Johnathan just might have... wild guess)

In political discourse theres the term "circular firing squad" or "Firing squad in the round." It is a critique / warning about well, firing at someone in the round because the potential for collateral damage. Im not sure if they were trying to allude to this prominent Twitter issue, but Im all for circular firing squads (the social ones) and the kids on the mezzanine at the mall sure did me proud. Good for Lucas to sticking to his guns.

During the US militaries siege, I was really distracted that they landed their helicopters on a largely mysterious Russian Base!! Yeah, Im pretty sure theyd be repelling in from a bit more of a distance, with the choppers ready to maneuverer and fire at all comers. Likely they went with landing because they needed Paul Reiser inside the mall promptly and couldnt get him repelled out of a chopper. :lol: Also, being black budget spec-op Im sure they wouldve binged Dustins location near the coms tower and had one helicopter intercept him. Yeah, who cares its a fun tv show!! And I guess that could've been off screen and will pick up in season 4

Robbin is even sexier in the fast forward!!! :drool:

Many of my ancestors were held - with many dying - in Gulags. Looking forward to seeing them get theres next season.

Edited by soon

33 minutes ago, soon said:

Finished season 3 last night. Agreed. I liked this season a lot!! Id kinda wondered what was taking so long for a new season, given what 2 was. But it all makes sense now - amazing production throughout. Pretty great writing. Loved the editing too.

So, y'all wore those shorts the kids wear throughout?? :P

My reflections, real spoilers.

Hide contents

I feel dense having to ask someone, but Hop is in the other realm now right? Or was he incinerated?

The look on Hops face as he consented to his fate was powerful. What amazing acting!!!

When Elle leaves the mall and realized that Hop is gone, I cant belive that Ryder (and Mike if he saw) wouldnt run to her and embrace her. Reminds me of Chewie getting ignored after Hans death in SW.

Billy's death was too real. My heart broke for Max. Lower class white men having been moaning to have their heros back in film. Now they have two, and both teach sacrifice for the diverse community.

I love when a character is there right before my eyes, but it kinda sneaks up on me about just how central they are. Murray was that. Murray and Alexie were so amazing in ep 7!! (and if his role as a sleeper plot line is a thing, he instigated the sexual relationship that might produce a baby that Nancy and Johnathan just might have... wild guess)

In political discourse theres the term "circular firing squad" or "Firing squad in the round." It is a critique / warning about well, firing at someone in the round because the potential for collateral damage. Im not sure if they were trying to allude to this prominent Twitter issue, but Im all for circular firing squads (the social ones) and the kids on the mezzanine at the mall sure did me proud. Good for Lucas to sticking to his guns.

During the US militaries siege, I was really distracted that they landed their helicopters on a largely mysterious Russian Base!! Yeah, Im pretty sure theyd be repelling in from a bit more of a distance, with the choppers ready to maneuverer and fire at all comers. Likely they went with landing because they needed Paul Reiser inside the mall promptly and couldnt get him repelled out of a chopper. :lol: Also, being black budget spec-op Im sure they wouldve binged Dustins location near the coms tower and had one helicopter intercept him. Yeah, who cares its a fun tv show!! And I guess that could've been off screen and will pick up in season 4

Robbin is even sexier in the fast forward!!! :drool:

Many of my ancestors were held - with many dying - in Gulags. Looking forward to seeing them get theres next season.

Spoiler

Personally, I think Hopper is gone. Like....really gone. Just the way they handled his long goodbye seems to mean a lot. I think it would be super cheap if they went the route of "BUT WAIT! HE STILL EXISTS SOMEHOW" in the next season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2019 at 2:38 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

Stranger Things season 3 was definitely better than season 2, but neither were as good as season 1.

I’m rewatching season 1. Id somehow forgotten how much darker it is. It also struck me as odd that when I first saw season 1 that Id remarked “look how cute those boys are!” :lol:

For me season 3 is the ‘most Spielberg’ with the cinematography. and I liked the energy level and grandeur of it all. And robin of it all. But of course season one will always be the real deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished OITNB final season. This season didnt really click with me as much even with the resonant and topical story lines. But it feels like a lifetime ago that this show started. I started watching it with my ex, in a different city, in a different job, etc. Its a strange thing how shows or movie series can mark chapters of life. Its kinda cool to say goodbye.

Spoiler

The P-Tuck story line really got to me in the last episodes.

Im watching 13 Reasons Why season 3 and am not enjoying it all that much. The new character who narrates constantly is so fuckign annoying. Why is this high school student poised as some all knowing fount of wisdom?

Also was really let down by this:

Spoiler

Jessica, a main character who was assaulted is getting back in touch with her body and sexuality. This is celebrated by a scene wherein she ties up and chokes her partner with out his consent. She also tells him to shut up during sex.

The entire premise of the show is about consent. Ridiculous.

On 8/27/2019 at 6:36 AM, soon said:

Im watching 13 Reasons Why season 3 and am not enjoying it all that much. The new character who narrates constantly is so fuckign annoying. Why is this high school student poised as some all knowing fount of wisdom?

Also was really let down by this:

Reveal hidden contents

Jessica, a main character who was assaulted is getting back in touch with her body and sexuality. This is celebrated by a scene wherein she ties up and chokes her partner with out his consent. She also tells him to shut up during sex.

The entire premise of the show is about consent. Ridiculous.

Just finished the season. Fucking terrible :(

• Like 1