Let's take a moment to appreciate that Axl is NOT doing something like this...

You know, there are so many things that can be criticized related to GN'R over the past few years (and indeed such things do get criticized here on a daily basis), and I've never exactly been one who's always able to look at the glass as being half full when it comes to some of these issues, so I'm not trying to sugarcoat anything with this thread. But I am a huge fan of the musician Prince and I just read this article today and it made me think, things could really be worse for us fans of Axl:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jan/27/prince-sues-internet-users-alleged-bootleg-recordings

Prince is suing 22 internet users believed to be among his fans, accusing them of sharing bootlegs of his concerts. The musician is demanding $1m (£605,000) each from the owners of websites and Facebook pages that he claims enabled the free distribution of recordings of his concerts.

The 21-page lawsuit was filed last week at San Francisco's US district court, reported Consequence of Sound. The mostly anonymous defendants are accused of engaging in "massive infringement and bootlegging of Prince's material", with each web page contributing to "up to thousands of separate acts of infringement and bootlegging".

The targets aren't bootleg factories in Asia or eastern Europe, but websites with links to download decades-old live recordings

I guess the upside there is that Prince continually records music whereas Axl doesn't, but at least Axl isn't actively suing his fans for spreading bootlegs of thirty-year-old concerts, eh? This isn't exactly the most pertinent GN'R-related topic but there's not much to talk about right now anyway and I wanted to provide this article so that we could maybe be appreciative of the fact that this kind of thing isn't going on. :lol:

Imagine being the poor fan getting that letter in the mail demanding 1 million pounds for sharing a decades-old bootleg. Mind-boggling. I love Prince but he is a sheer idiot when it comes to his fanbase. Axl may do a lot of things (seemingly) ill-fated but at least he was cool about the Internet and its effect on fans bootlegging concerts.

• Like 4

He has such a weird relationship with his fans/the Internet/making money. On the one hand he pulls off shit like this, on the other hand he gives away albums with tabloid papers in the UK. Running an award-winning website, then pulling it down weeks after winning said award. Who knows what goes on in that man's head.

I don't know man, is it cool to be hosting 1000's of his concerts on your page? it's one thing to be a fan and share a few but if your gonna have that many available to download you think that's not gonna draw some attention?

Still kind of a dick move to pull the lawsuit, he coulda just had them taken down

Edited by PITBOSS

I don't know man, is it cool to be hosting 1000's of his concerts on your page? it's one thing to be a fan and share a few but if your gonna have that many available to download you think that's not gonna draw some attention?

Still kind of a dick move to pull the lawsuit, he coulda just had them taken down

But technically most of these people didn't host the files. Not all of them are named in a lawsuit, but the one website that is named was a blogspot site which featured links to third party websites (probably stuff like Mediafire). So none of the files were hosted or transferred through the site itself. He probably will end up getting most of his lawsuit thrown out of court, but it's more the thought that counts.

Unless these people were actively trading bootlegs for money and selling them to fans -- which seems unlikely in today's Internet-exchanging era of concerts -- then it wasn't as predatory as he's making it out to seem. I think it's fucked up.

Axl doesn't murder people either, as far as I know. Let's give him some credit. :lol:

Yeah, but I'm just posting this because it's a current news topic about another highly divisive musician and it got me thinking about how much it would suck. :lol:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140126/22483926006/prince-sues-22-fans-1-million-each-linking-to-bootlegs-laughably-confused-complaint.shtml

this sums up why i think it'll probably get thrown out, but imagine how much it would kill your spirit as a fan of an artist to get sued for a million bucks for trading shitty-quality bootlegs.

on the other hand he gives away albums with tabloid papers in the UK.

Still making money, very shrewd move.

He's not making as much as if he was selling them for £10+ each, surely?

Think about how many people buy a weekend Mirror, versus how many people buy CDs.

Edited by NGOG

Perhaps the title should be Axl hasn't done anything like this...yet. It might give him ideas, what better way to erase Slash than get rid of all the old band bootlegs from the Internet. ;-)

If Axl did, he would be hurting some of his most ardent fans. Dudes like Esteban devote their lives to following and promoting GNR.

I hate to disagree, but if this was happening with GnR old concerts, do we really think that Axl/Beta wouldn't be all over getting it shut down? That crazy maribeth got thousands of GnR fan recordings shut down on youtube and Beta/Axl approved of that.

Prince has always been crazy and a little weird about things like this. And it does seem like a dick move on his part to go after fans. But in his defense, he has given away his music, he has released music through his fan club and the guy has literally released around 50 albums worth of material for his fans to enjoy. Including live albums.

Axl has given us nine albums? I could be missing one. Appetite, Lies, 2 Illusions, SI, 2 live, greatest hits and CD. Prince has released 50.

I guess I don't really care if the guy is a complete prick in real life. Releasing 50 albums worth of material for your fans to enjoy.........I'll take that any day over a singer who wants to be my best friend and who loves puppies and kittens and who smiles all the time!

Prince is a control freak to the nth degree. I think because he is often so generous with fans (I saw him play for $25 in 2011 FFS), he feels his (completely untethered to reality) desire for his material to basically not exist online without his permission, should be honored. It looks like a dick move (and from most artists it would be, and maybe it is), but I doubt that's the perspective he's coming from. Also, he's known to have a hair up his ass about this stuff, so these guys were taking a risk in the first place.

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 1

Prince (and every other artist) should just do the "official bootleg" thing and sell the recorded shows for profit. I would gladly pay for any Gn'R show I've seen, regardless of performance.

Yes but with GN´R it would be mission impossible. We´re still wating for the official Vegas DVD. Can you imagine what it would be wating for the bootlegs to be officialy released?