How significant were Axl's visit to Jim Morrison's grave?

In APPETITE FOR DESTRUCTION: DAYS OF GUNS N' ROSES, the book that Sugerman wrote about the band, Axl tells that in 1990 he visited Morrison's grave at the Père Lachaise Cemetery, in Paris. Seems like the encounter with his idol's death beat the shit out of him: "I decided to live for myself, not to die for rock n' roll." Axl Rose is very smart and talented, but sometimes his explosive personality makes him miserable.

http://xozita.stormpages.com/axlrose/bio.htm

It could explain a lot

I could honesty see Jim turning into a current day Axl if he didn't pass away. He was already becoming a recluse, was getting out of shape, some said his voice wouldn't have been able to handle another album, and just didn't give a fuck anymore.

That's kind of how Axl has become, but we get upset because we still expect him to keep releasing music. He just doesn't care or want to. The best thing to happen to Jim's legacy, as sad as it is to say, is his death. Axl would be looked at as a controversial legend if he would have died before the breakup or before Chinese was released. The demos would have been heralded as treasures.

Few great frontmen can stay loved and respected forever, while still releasing quality music.