Will Axl pull a Motley at some point? (and retire the Guns name)

Not to be a dick but Roger Waters didn't exactly have a successful solo career, his 80's albums and tours were poorly received/didn't sell so good.

It's only in the 2000s that he has enjoyed a renaissance concert wise, coincidentally focusing more on the Floyd stuff.

Fair enough...remove Waters from the list...just replace him with Ozzy, Dio, Don Henley, etc....these guys (along with those formerly mentioned other than Waters perhaps) were able to move on and have success. Ozzy may be the best example...lots of folks became Ozzy fans in the later years without even realizing that he was a former member of Sabbath. They dug Ozzy for Ozzy (or Randy Rhoads) or because they had heard Crazy Train (Ozzy's solo work)...not because he was riding the Sabbath legacy.

Ozzy is a great example. I love Ozzy (solo) and don't care for Sabbath.

If the band doesn't intend on creating any more music, then I'd be in favour of a farewell tour. If they intend on making new music I'll support them until they stop. I'd rather no Guns than a Gun that just play the hits...

Let's not get too far into this discussion though, next thing there's going to be a poll "what would be your ideal farewell setlist" if we could keep things in reality for a while it would be great ;) Aware there's buggar all going on beyond sporadic SA announcements so imaginations will run wild :D

• Sixx: The idea of not being the original band out on tour – of having possibly two different Mötley Crües being on tour? Can't have that. Man, I just want people to be proud. Our energy comes from the fact that we're a family. When Vince left the band, he was like, "Fuck you guys. I'm the singer and I'm going to go do my own stuff." We went and made more music after that: we made a great record, but it wasn't Mötley Crüe. Now I look back on that and think we were just young. To be honest with you, if I had to blame anybody, I actually blame our managers at the time, Doc McGee and Doug Thaler, for not saying, "You know what? You guys are fucking stupid, fighting right now. I don't care if it takes a month – we're going to sit down and figure this out." Knowing us, it would've probably taken fuckin' two minutes. But we were young and didn't have anybody around us that said that. We're responsible for that happening, but at the same time someone stronger should've been around us to help.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/vince-neil-and-nikki-sixx-explain-why-motley-crue-is-calling-it-quits-20140129#ixzz2rqgBTadE

Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Motley is only "retiring" to boost ticket sales and get one last big cheque. On the last tour they played a 19k seat arena with only about 7k seats sold. They are hoping to fill these arenas with a retirement tour and cash in one final time before they can only get paid to play county fairs.

Axl will never formally retire. He'll just disappear. Noone will care if GNR did a retirement tour unless their was a reunion tour first and Slash was in the retirement tour

Axl will never retire the Guns N' Roses name... After all of the problems and trouble he went through to get the name. And to continue using it with a whole host of new musicians, why would he just give it up so easily?.

He wouldn't.

That's the strange part. I thought he would try harder to make this new "band" to be recognized. And what does he do? GH tours. It's like he doesn't even like the CD songs anymore and wants to relive the past, but with a different (hired) band. It's like he has given up already.

• Like 2

The Who, Ozzy and KISS promised a "farewell tour", it's become a joke to call your concert that. Eagles called theirs "Farewell I", and their recent was the "History" tour.

Nikki's done everything he possibly could with Motley Crue.

As far as GNR go, I don't think Axl will retire unless he's unable to sing anymore. If people want a reunion tour to happen, or Axl to hang up the GNR name, just don't go see the shows anymore. People are seeing the concerts for the songs, not the band members, except the hardcore fans who supported CD and kept up with them.

The Police disbanded because they played Shea Stadium. I think Sting knew that there's no way they could follow that up, but he never announced that it was a farewell tour in the early 80s. It just happened and people went "fuck, I never saw them in concert". Gilmour disbanded Pink Floyd in the mid 90s and if anyone paid attention to what he was saying in interviews, they would have picked up that you better see the show now. He also did it because Roger Waters challenged him, and realized in the early 80s his name alone wasn't putting asses in seats.

Damn right Axl was afraid he'd be playing bowling alleys if he decided to not use the GNR name. He knows it has a lot of value to it, and it allows him to be able to put on the big shows. If he toured under his own name, over time, he'd be playing the same venues Baz, Bret Michaels, and Vince Neil do, and have to do package tours, something he's been able to avoid. I think GNR are almost at the point where they might have to co-headline as far as American venues go, but they're still able to headline festivals, so they're still doing well to not have to.

It is interesting that the announcement and the statement about farewell tours was months after they toured with KISS. Maybe Nikki had a lot of conversations with Gene and Paul about it.

Axl will never retire the Guns N' Roses name... After all of the problems and trouble he went through to get the name. And to continue using it with a whole host of new musicians, why would he just give it up so easily?.

He wouldn't.

That's the strange part. I thought he would try harder to make this new "band" to be recognized. And what does he do? GH tours. It's like he doesn't even like the CD songs anymore and wants to relive the past, but with a different (hired) band. It's like he has given up already.

Quite true…one odd fella, Mr. Axl Rose...

He wouldn't.

Quite true…one odd fella, Mr. Axl Rose...

That is the strange part. Why go through all the trouble and hassle..........to not really do anything with it?