Is NuGNR the band with the most wasted potential in History?

And by NuGNR I mean the "classic NuGNR" (can't believe we've come to this), the 1999-2004 band.

Listening to this just makes me kind of sad:

Edit: I know the video is from 2007, but I believe the original NuGNR was even better than this. This is just a general idea.

Edited by ManetsBR
  • Like 1

And by NuGNR I mean the "classic NuGNR" (can't believe we've come to this), the 1999-2004 band.

Listening to this just makes me kind of sad:

Edit: I know the video is from 2007, but I believe the original NuGNR was even better than this. This is just a general idea.

Nu GnR used to have great potential. But not so much anymore. The most important people who created that potential are gone.

Totally agree, and it's something that I've always said...

The 1999-2004 band had the potential to be HUGE, they could of smashed it by dropping the album in 2002 during the US tour after the VMA appearence and NYC Madison Square Garden show. If they would of released it then, with Axl and the band FULLY behind the record promoting it, I believe we could of seen GN'R hit it big again just like the early 90's. Don't forget, MTV actually supported the Nu GN'R, and did alot of media and interviews with the guys. "MAJOR CHANCE MISSED"... :o

GN'R somehow managed to get there again, and had a second chance to hit it big during the end of the US 2006 tour. After a succesful European tour, and another huge NYC Madison Square Garden show, the band could of exploded by releasing the album in and around the 3 LA Ampitheatre shows which finished the tour (like Merck planned). Even Harvey Davidson was on board with the Better and PC versions of the Goat commercial. "FINAL MAJOR CHANCE MISSED"... :wacko:

Finck had enough and got the F out (don't blame him), and after a year and a half of silence and inactivity, the band decides to release it. And on top of that, Axl does zero promotion to support the album, as does the rest of the band (and management). With the only member giving a shit being Ron, who travels to Europe to do Meet N' Greets to try to gather some excitement, bless the poor guy. :lol:

GN'R missed 2 major chances to hit it big with CD, and they blew both of them in a major way... What a F'in waste of talent and potential. rock3

• Like 2

Isn't the real answer just Guns n Roses - with no caveat to which era.

The classic line-up - only 3.5 albums.

The Bucket/Finck line-up -part one album

The current line-up - part of one album

It's a shame that Axl Rose fans haven't gotten to enjoy more music from any of the eras. Sucks for the fans, sucks for rock music in general. The world needs more Axl Rose music. Shame that he and Beta don't see that. Or if they do - they don't care.

Somebody mentioned the touring has been successful?

I suppose in terms of making a profit or proving the band with a living.

But the classic line-up was selling out stadiums around the world, breaking attendance records.

The current band? They are playing weddings, bowling alleys, Vegas residencies and venues that hold 2,000 people.

So I suppose success depends on your own personal definition of what success is.

Edited by Groghan

Totally agree, and it's something that I've always said...

The 1999-2004 band had the potential to be HUGE, they could of smashed it by dropping the album in 2002 during the US tour after the VMA appearence and NYC Madison Square Garden show. If they would of released it then, with Axl and the band FULLY behind the record promoting it, I believe we could of seen GN'R hit it big again just like the early 90's. Don't forget, MTV actually supported the Nu GN'R, and did alot of media and interviews with the guys. "MAJOR CHANCE MISSED"... :o

GN'R somehow managed to get there again, and had a second chance to hit it big during the end of the US 2006 tour. After a succesful European tour, and another huge NYC Madison Square Garden show, the band could of exploded by releasing the album in and around the 3 LA Ampitheatre shows which finished the tour (like Merck planned). Even Harvey Davidson was on board with the Better and PC versions of the Goat commercial. "FINAL MAJOR CHANCE MISSED"... :wacko:

Finck had enough and got the F out (don't blame him), and after a year and a half of silence and inactivity, the band decides to release it. And on top of that, Axl does zero promotion to support the album, as does the rest of the band (and management). With the only member giving a shit being Ron, who travels to Europe to do Meet N' Greets to try to gather some excitement, bless the poor guy. :lol:

GN'R missed 2 major chances to hit it big with CD, and they blew both of them in a major way... What a F'in waste of talent and potential. rock3

I still would love to hear specifics about Robin & Bucket's respective departures. Until recently I was going with Bucket's exit statement ("failure to complete an album," etc.) but after reading the "inside" scoop about people treating him crappy, I have no clue what think. It's a shame, the 2002 era was so exciting (sans the shitty reviews and half empty arenas). There was a ton of potential there and hardly any info. out there on it.

Axl Rose is the single most wasted talent musically all time.

Agree 100%.

Such a shame too. The man still has the talent and ability to change that fact. But for some reason, he has no interest.

Can you imagine being a 30-year-old Michael Jordan and deciding to quit the NBA and just play in occasional pick-up games? Or a member of the Beatles and deciding to stop making music in the summer of 1964.

If I was as musically talented as Axl is, even if I didn't like the music business, I'd almost feel obligated to give my millions of fans the occasional treat and "thank you." As I sat back in my mansion, with all the money in the world, and every luxury I could ever need.........just out of gratitude to the millions of fans who supported me and helped me reach that level of success, I'd release music for them to enjoy every few years.

The 91 era guns probably had the most wasted potential ever. They could have been in the Stones/Zeppelin echelon of greatness.

Well, maybe not Stones-big. There's only 2 bands in history that are Stones-big. The Stones and The Beatles.

But maybe Zeppelin-big and certainly Aerosmith-big. Definitely a lot of wasted potential.

Vast Wasted potential! Had Axl even once acted like this was a going concern and showcased the band and released music they might have had a chance in doing something amazing. \. What ever the hell he was thinking he definatley screwed the pooch on the whole "this is new GNR" thing.

Personally after seeing the BH Finck Era twice... way too unfocused and way too unGNR.. BH doing his solo act in the show, Robin doing his NIN schtick didnt do anybody the favor of overwhelmingly convicing anyone that GNR were back and just as powerful.

All you have to do is listen to Chinese Democracy and that will reveal just how unfocused the unit really is. its a nice experiment and it has its moments but damn... it sounds disjointed and unfocused . When it was revealed that it was ONLY 6 weeks prior to Rio that the band had ALL played together as a unit. After all that time tinkering on the album.. the revelation that they were in fact NOT a band but a bunch of professional fill ins demonstrated the reason that an overwhelmingly amount of fans didnt buy into AXls interpretation of his own so called band.

• Like 1

Let's put it this way; very few singers have been lucky enough to have Buckethead and Robin Finck at their disposal.

I agree. It had to have been the most wasted band in history.

You have axl's great song writing, Fortus, Finck, and most of all Buckethead on guitar. You have Tommy on bass guitar, and you have Brain on drums. You have a lineup composed of HIGHLY SKILLED musicians at your disposal, and you do... ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!?

the classic NuGuns is a terrible tragedy.

Axl was so fucking pumped to get it right, to out-do slash and finally win his war, the whole world his witness.

He just couldn't pull it together.

Too much mess.

wasted time.

his people left. his band fell apart. again.

Not really, no.

Despite the revisionist history and fanboyism at work here, no one had any sort of high hopes for that first incarnation the new band.

Buckethead was little more than a curiosity, and Robin was just one of the guys in Trent's touring band. The only one of any sort of pedigree was tommy, due to his Replacements notoriety some 15 years prior.

Its only on this board and other GNR boards like it that the storyline is pushed that first incarnation of the new band was destined for greatness.

Axl Rose is the single most wasted talent musically all time.

I wouldn't call AFD and UYI wasted talent. I do agree about NuGNR though.

I'm not. I'm talking about 1993-present. We should have (solo or GnR or even the current musicians) multiple (no doubt amazing) songs & albums from the voice of Axl. All we have is CD.
  • Like 1

Not really, no.

Despite the revisionist history and fanboyism at work here, no one had any sort of high hopes for that first incarnation the new band.

Buckethead was little more than a curiosity, and Robin was just one of the guys in Trent's touring band. The only one of any sort of pedigree was tommy, due to his Replacements notoriety some 15 years prior.

Its only on this board and other GNR boards like it that the storyline is pushed that first incarnation of the new band was destined for greatness.

Agreed. Even on the GNR message boards around that time there was an overwhelming amount of people hating on the "nu" guys.

Not really, no.

Agreed. Even on the GNR message boards around that time there was an overwhelming amount of people hating on the "nu" guys.

Not really, no.

So true. I remember going to shows in 2002 and 2006 and reporting back to various boards about how great the shows were. I got bashed over and over and over, yet somehow here in 2014, 2002 and 2006 are "the good old days". What?