Who is Axl's vocal coach?

This is the only thing I've heard about Axl and a vocal coach in recent years (interview with Sebastian Bach translated from French from 2012):

In fact, Jon Bon Jovi introduced me to Don Lawrence from Manhattan when I was 20 or 21 years old. It gets harder and harder to sing from night to night. When I was your age, probably even younger, I used to sing without any warm-up. Now, I take it very seriously. Thus why I am dedicated to Bel Canto and I am not the only one : Tony Bennett, Dee Snider, Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga and Christina Aguilera have the same vocal coach as me. You have to realize that everyone in this business uses this technique. Except Axl Rose. I told him to go meet Don, but it made him sick seeing him.

Found it! After searching 12 pages. RON ANDERSON is his name. Also coached Tom Cruise in Rock Of Ages

http://www.ronandersonvocals.com/

Oh yeah, should have remembered that, they kept mentioning that Tom Cruise worked with Axl's voice coach in press stuff for Rock of Ages.

There's some GNR gold or platinum record thing behind Ron in this photo with Chris Cornell, wonder if this means he worked with Axl back in the day?:

chrisconnell.jpg

Should ask Troccoli if he can identify it.

Edited by Amir

Found it! After searching 12 pages. RON ANDERSON is his name. Also coached Tom Cruise in Rock Of Ages

http://www.ronandersonvocals.com/

Oh yeah, should have remembered that, they kept mentioning that Tom Cruise worked with Axl's voice coach in press stuff for Rock of Ages.

There's some GNR gold or platinum record thing behind Ron in this photo with Chris Cornell, wonder if this means he worked with Axl back in the day?:

chrisconnell.jpg

Should ask Troccoli if he can identify it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this guy was his vocal coach back in the old days, not anymore. Could be wrong though.

Axl has a very low voice, which is his natural register. When he went all out in 2010, he may have formed some nodules or strained his vocal cords singing so high at that age, possibly a bit more than usual after a tour.

There are two ways for a guy with a bass voice to hit high notes, Falsetto, and chest/head voice. He very well may have gotten a new vocal coach who encouraged a softer approach, which would be falsetto, which is not bad for your voice. His other voice (the one that people call rasp), is his head voice. He's a master at adding rasp, but doesnt actually have a raspy voice.

examples of proper falsetto screams would be anything Steven Tyler has done in the last 5 years in terms of high notes, but he is a TENOR with a naturally raspy voice, so its easy to add rasp and grit to his falsetto.

Axl meanwhile, being a BASS/BARITONE registered singer with a naturally clean voice, would not be able to add as much rasp to his falsetto without harming his cords, explaining the mickey mouse voice.

It's simply a safer voice to use, at the cost of tonal quality.

Notice in 2002 and on lots of CD, his voice is very fuckin high but not raspy (Think TWAT)? He was using his head voice without modifying it, and I have a feeling he thinks that falsetto is close enough to that voice that he uses it exclusively nowadays live.

I have trouble believing Axl would switch to a much weaker way of singing on his own, and this new technique was suggested to him by a vocal coach.

P.S do we have any fellow singers who can lend credence to this theory? I honestly don't think Axl is lazy or halfassing it live, but just being overly careful.

I've been saying pretty much this since 2011. We know he can still get the rasp when he wants to (see: You're Crazy from the Brooklyn Bowl), so it's not a matter of him not being able to get the rasp anymore

I bought a vocal coaching book about 12 years ago who claimed to have coached Axl before gnr and even presented her with a gold afd record as a thank you. Others she claims to have coached include Dexter Holland of offspring and Anthony Keidis of rhcp and even Vince Neil. it's called breaking through by Gloria Bennett

Here's a link to the book. Mentions it on the back cover

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/079357238X/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1391281221&sr=8-1π=AC_SX110_SY165

Edited by Dan_GHTM

I always wondered if this might've been the start... Don't know the name of the guy.

Alpine Valley interview

At 5.53 he starts talking about this opera voice teacher. Don't know for how long he was with him and if he continued practising with opera voice teachers?

Edited by aranrod
  • Like 1