26 years ago...

This was the first GNR bootleg i've ever heard and get hooked easily with the bands live performances after...

Since then i've heard tons of GNR concert bootlegs (almost all of the avaiable shows) and i agree with some posters here: this was far from their best (ven from the AFD-Lies era), but it's a legendary show

• Like 1

I think the Ritz is incredible. You are all just been elitist wankers. What is not to like? guys invading the stage; pulling at Slash's headstock; Axl stage-diving and seeing his Thin Lizzy top ripped to shreds; Axl storms off during the last song; the music is raw and greasy. It is an incredible show.

• Like 1

Thr Ritz concert in 88 was a defining moment for GNR. To say it was the best or even one of the best shows as far as band playing and Axl singing it was not a good night.......

But if you look back at it SCOM just hit and all everyone was hearing and reading is how wild and crazy GNR was and the Ritz show captured that. They played the damn show on MTV all the time and people loved it.

We where all use to seeing the pretty boy image all the time back then and GNR where a shock to the whole system.

You take Moltey Crue who where considered before and even at that time where considered the bad boys of RNR and then GNR hit and they make Motley Crue look nothing more than a hair band with some attitude and next thing you know GNR is get the name of the Most Dangerous Band in the World!!! I bet that got under Motley Crue's skin.

Now don't get me wrong MC was a good band but for me there first record Too fast for love was the best one they put out with SATD being 2, theatre of pain, I know this album had Home Sweet Home but to me that song sucked and the album had only one or two goods song and it was much of the same from there on out for me anyway. I don't judge any album by it's hits I listen to every song and most of the time back then I felt cheated because the 2 songs they release where the only good one's.

In the Ritz show GNR showed there hungry, raw, reckless and crazy side and they played good enough it was still listenable.

I liken the Ritz show to Metallica Seattle 89 shows, it was a live recording of 2 nights mashed into one release. It really showed that Metallica as a band had really come of age and updated there sound on the and justice for all album and applied the new different sound to the old songs live which worked great live!!!

Metallica did however use audience participation alot better and used there energy in a positive way where as GNR did very little audience participation other than KOHD it was like GNR was doing a "show" and the audience should get into it just because we are GNR where Metallica would try to work them into a frenzy every night.

Metallica was more polished at that time and really performed there songs great and the crowd was crazy. Metallica showed there recklessness also but it wasn't the same as GNR.

Fast forward with metallica and when you get to the load and reload albums they went to having just a few good songs per album but I will give credit where credit is due with Death Magnetic they redeemed themselves to point.

I was just using the Ritz and the Seattle show to compare how different the 2 bands where on there way to super startum..

There are so many great bootlegs of GNR out there it is hard to pin point which is "the best" and most of us will like different shows for whatever reason. I am glad all this is out there so we can just go downnload it or just got to youtube and pull up your performce of this or that song and for most of us I would there would be several shows we would pull from to make one perfect for us.

Edited by bigcountry

Guest Len B'stard

Peoples dislike for this gig is indicative of why you will never ever get a decent rock n roll band ever again, for as long as there is a consensus of kids raised on pop music to believe that clean and crisp is the same thing as better than something thats wild, sloppy and passionate, you will never get a decent rock n roll band again cuz that is exactly the heart of what made rock n roll good and passionate and explosive and unpredictable. Rock n Roll, at its heart, is the sound of kids struggling with their instruments (oo, err). The greatest rock n roll bands of our times, any of em, all of em, The Who, The Beatles, The Stones, The Sex Pistols, The Kinks, all of em were sloppy as fuck, ramshackle, pissed as farts most of the time but driven by an absolute love for music and a gung ho devil-may-care attitude that shone through in the music and made it fucking electrifying.

For as long as you fuckin' snotty little student types going around like 'oh well look how sloppy it is' or 'oh, look, he missed a note, FAILLLLL' then you basically ain't getting the fuckin' point and whatever you go on to do with rock n roll you're gonna fuck it up because you don't have an understanding of the core of what got right into peoples fuckin' bones about this music.

It's sad, REALLY sad, REALLY REALLY fuckin' sad that i'm sitting here in 2014 and there's kids that grew up after the fact lookin' at the Ritz gig going 'thats naff, look how sloppy they are!' honestly, thats one step shy of goin' 'y'know, they could do with a haircut and a decent make up artist too' you have absolutely no idea about this fuckin' music and quite frankly, you don't deserve a band like Guns n Roses (THE Guns n Roses) and thats why you don't have one, cuz you probably wouldn't recognise em if they opened your cheeks and snuck up your arse one by one, instruments in hand ;)

• Like 4

The most overrated GNR gig

Rock in Rio 3

Rock am Ring 2006

Rio 3 was when this band was BACK, it is not overrated at all, in fact I'd go far as to say it is underrated as a concert. That was when Axl was back, when he was proud of what he made and wanted to share it with the world. It was back when he gave a damn. I would LOVE to see him at Rio banging out some more new songs but sadly I don't think it will happen.

Rock Am Ring: Eh, kinda. I prefer other 06 shows personally, such as Download (That Nightrain :drool:), but still, in 06 Axl seemed to care. another tour where new songs were played, Axl and the band were on fire, and Axl wanted to share what he made with the world

Not surprising, but always weird to see, how we get from this

It's been 26 years since that concert. Anyone from here was there? Any comments?

For me, one of the best shows of Guns N' Roses in their history..

to discussing/bashing/(whatever you'll call it) the new band in not even one page. :shrugs:

You just know the Axl weirdos will prefer some shitty gig from 2006 rather than the genuine article. Tell me, would you choose The Bootleg Beatles over the Beatles 1963; or how about some shitty Elvis act from Blackpool rather than seeing the real thing in 1956?

You just know the Axl weirdos will prefer some shitty gig from 2006 rather than the genuine article. Tell me, would you choose The Bootleg Beatles over the Beatles 1963; or how about some shitty Elvis act from Blackpool rather than seeing the real thing in 1956?

I for one think the AM Ring concert was one of the best GNR performances in any incarnation!!!!

Before you bash me I was around in 87 I seen the old band several times and there best show as far as me attending was the first time I seen them and this was before SCOM was ever released.

I am all for everyone feeling one way or another about 87-93 and 94-present GNR. I like both.

Sure in a perfect world they would have stayed together but that is not what we live in.

I look at like I like the new band and the current line up is my favorite as far as the new band goes you may agree or disagree but tha is how I feel.

I will support GNR in any form. Just because I like the new band don't mean I think they are a better band than the orginal and it is unfair to compare any of GNR band line ups and say there where the best because each band was different.

Yes they are more acomplished musicians but that don't mean better.

To me BBF is the best MUSICIAN to every be in GNR. He knows his craft and can play any song in the GNR catolog better than anyone that has been in GNR, now I don't expect slash to shred but BBF can play note for not, note for note with his own flar, which he should.

For me living in the past and not giving the new folks a decent chance is not what being a GNR fan is to me. GNR is what it is and no matter how much people bitch and moan it ain't going to change a thing. If you don't like the new band then move on it's that simple either accept it and take it for what it is or choose not to be apart of it.

19880202ticket.jpg

Disclaimer: no I didn't go, but I thought this was pretty cool.

I remember there was mention of the video crew being there to shoot Great White, and I think the same thing happened when GNR shot SCOM and Great White made "Once Bitten Twice Shy" or another video.

Edited by dalsh327
  • Like 2