Ashba wouldn't deliver the beautiful guitar work on KOHD :shrugs:

I don't hate Ashba at all, I think he's got the right parts to play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YkNJRDdAys

On the subject of KOHD, I think this shows that Fortus can easily play Ashba's parts better.

Granted, the way that the guitars are divided up in the current lineup work, I think it'd be much stronger if Ashba got axed and Fortus took his position. Ron's got a lot of shredding ability but honestly I don't feel like he could handle the main riffs well. Fortus, on the other hand, can do that and still add spice to the sound. Just imagine their technical prowess meshing together for this wonderful dual-guitar harmony. They could easily trade off doing powerful solos also. And if Axl is still holding a grudge, this eliminates any Slash comparisons.

Note that I'm always one for trimming the excess in GNR though. But in this case, I believe by sticking to both of the guitarists' strengths, the result is a leaner, but more cohesive and stronger sound than the current 3-guitar lineup.

• Like 1

Yes. Fortus is an Excellent guitar player. He doesn't get enough praise though because he's technically only the rhythm guitarist. Him and Bumble on lead would be great. I don't get why Axl never decided to let him have lead. Supposedly him and robin were supposed to share lead before bumble joined. I would've liked it if they did that instead of hiring Dj.

The whole band could get by with Fortus and Bumble being lead and Pitman being rhythm. Pitman can do it, that would be much more useful than having him do something useless.

Edited by liers

I think the reason why Axl chose to have three guitarists is that he didn't want image and sound of the band to depends on one man. He didn't want to make a new Slash, so in case of change one lead, the band wouldn't have experienced drastic change in sound and in the fans eyes as was the case when Slash left the band.

I think the reason why Axl chose to have three guitarists is that he didn't want image and sound of the band to depends on one man. He didn't want to make a new Slash, so in case of change one lead, the band wouldn't have experienced drastic change in sound and in the fans eyes as was the case when Slash left the band.

Well hopefully a twin-lead approach would eliminate that by putting the sound in the hands of two people. And hopefully such an approach would circumvent the "Oh you have two-guitarists to replace Slash" approach since you're eliminating the rhythm guitarist/creating a new style. And if it doesn't, well fuck it that's life.

The 3 guitars thing is actually a good thing imo. The sound is fuller and more powerful. I think it works for the old Guns material but also the Chinese stuff.

My problem with it is basically DJ's abilities as a player. He doesn't have the skills to really add something great.

I really like Fortus but most of his solos lack something. I don't like his bends and some of his note choices are kinda annoying. When he's playing rhythm it's great. His Better chorus riff is mean. He's very talented, but his lead work is not interesting enough for me to make him one of just 2 lead guitarists in Guns.

Sometimes he plays really good solos like Blacklight Jesus, and he's much better then Ashba. He has that classic hard rock thing and the chops to bring Guns to a more Appetite like approach imo.

Keep it 3 guitarists but lose Ashba.