Have you reached the "Fuck this band" point yet?

I have nothing against the lads in the band, God love them in fact.

You could argue they're enabling him though. If nobody would put up with Axl, then he would have to face the consequences. In the end he loves his lavish lifestyle, so I don't think he would like giving that up. But instead he rakes in the big money as the boss, and pays his employees their fee.

Pretty much. I'll always be interested in whatever they do or release though. There's some fascination there. Somehow you want them to work out. But it won't. Which makes GnR a terribly frustrating "what could have been" band.

I wrote this about roughly the same subject a short while ago:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/203554-when-is-it-time-to-let-go-of-a-reunion-or-an-older-lineup/page-14#entry3594349

Edited by username

I dont think fuck this band because I really just dont care anymore. Ive always been a big fan of the real GnR and when Axl re-emerged with the Bucket lineup I was genuinely excited. Im not one of the people who complained about Bucket and co because I thought Axl had done exactly the right thing at the time. Because of how huge and iconic the original band was I saw the only way to carry on would be to do something drastically different. I was really looking forawrd to seeing what those guys could do and had the album been released back then I think things would have been very different.

The problem these days is that as technically acomplished as the current line-up is they simply dont excite me in any way. Yes they play the songs (mostly) well but to me it just seems like theyre going through the motions. Back in 2000(ish) I got the impression (whether rightly or wrongly) that there was a genuine functioning creative entity rather than simply a bunch of session players going through the motions. Basically these days its just tour after tour with (mostly) the same set list and no sign of new music to get excited about. Axl seems increasingly disinterested and out of shape and the performances are suffering accordingly.

For me to take a genuine interest in this band again Id have to see Axl make a real effort to get in decent physical and vocal shape and give the impression that this band are capable of writing, recording and releasing good new music. Thats about the size of it really. The other guys in the band get a lot of unfair (other than DJ :lol:) criticism and thats not going to change until they get the opportunity to show what they can (or cant) do when given the chance. Until then I might go see them live if they come to my city, Ive got nothing better to do and the tickets are reasonably priced. But even then Id be thinking twice about whether I want to pay to see the same old show only with a slightly weaker performance and smaller attendance. :shrugs:

The problem these days is that as technically acomplished as the current line-up is they simply dont excite me in any way. Yes they play the songs (mostly) well but to me it just seems like theyre going through the motions. Back in 2000(ish) I got the impression (whether rightly or wrongly) that there was a genuine functioning creative entity rather than simply a bunch of session players going through the motions. Basically these days its just tour after tour with (mostly) the same set list and no sign of new music to get excited about. Axl seems increasingly disinterested and out of shape and the performances are suffering accordingly.

1374945961hit-the-nail-on-the-head-jpg.j

I'll probably still pay to go see Axl if the circumstances permit - and I'll always have a small part of me hoping that he'll surprise us and do something right - but I lost faith the day CD came out. It was clear to me that, somewhere along the line, Axl had lost it.

I reached the "Fuck this band" point twenty years ago. I was still a teenager and for me, GNR was everything. I bought all the magazines I could find, played the music day and night, saved up to buy bootlegs... Bought tickets to the concert, but it was cancelled, due to Duff having stomach ache, so the flyer I received at the venue said. I cried all night, but maybe that was my Fuck This Band moment. After that, my interest faded, I discovered other bands and my GNR-obsession was something I became rather embarrassed about. When the band fell apart, I wasn't surprised.

Recently, I rediscovered GNR and I enjoy hearing it again, I like CD too, much to my surprise. I would like to hear new music, but I don't hold my breath. If nothing comes, I'll be alright. I would still like to see Axl succeed.

I don't think I'll ever reach the Fuck This Band moment again, because it's not that important to me anymore.

I think the problem is the setlist hasn't changed much - a few songs change here and there. It's almost at the point where people are going to choose seeing the tribute bands over GNR just so they can hear the songs Axl never do live, and for a lot less money.

2002 was the big "fuck this band" year once the tour dates were cancelled.

I think this forum is better than the "band"..more interesting to see your posts and shit :lol: To be honest my dissapointment was CD and the musical direction Axl and Co. decided to take..The change from the early 90's to CD in 2008 is just too wide me to cross :wacko: To me (and for many) it just ain't GnR..where is the "world's most dangerous band" I used to LOVE?? I don't like this alternative future of GnR :shrugs: Only reunion can save GnR at this point...why I'm even entertaining the idea since it's not gonna happen since Axl is what he is..blaahhh

Edited by gunnari

My interest was high in the Bucket days, and 2006 and when C.D. Was released. Loved the album, can't believe we're still hearing the cretinous 'its not GNR because GNR was a blues rock band' tardument. Yeah, I thought over a decade had been spent making a garage album. Pfft. Besides which, Appetite is punk/blues influenced, Lies isn't really, UYI is grand, epic Queen style stuff with a harder edge...If C.D. had sounded like Appetite I'd have lost all respect for Axl. Not every band needs to be AC/DC, Motorhead and Bon fucking Jovi making the same tired album over and over again.

But yeah, after the frosty reception the album got I knew we likely wouldn't see another one any time soon, something went out of Axl, his fight I guess. Now there's clearly no project, no album and no direction and Axls not just wasting his own talent but that of his entire band. To me there is no band really, I'm sure as shit not paying top dollar to see the same show I've seen for 12 years yet again but with a half-arsed out of shape frontman. Both in 2001 and around C.D.'s release Axl seemed to have intent, purpose and a clear idea of what the current band was about. Now I don't think he has a clue or even cares. Consequently, neither do I.

Here's what Guns N' Roses/Axl are about in 2014:

About $50 overpriced

About a stone overweight

About as stale as last month's bread

About as likely to put out an album as I am to shit out a gold nugget

About as motivated as a stoner on pay day

Always, always about to implode

And just about out of time.

• Like 1

Anyone who claims to have a "fuck this band" attitude while actively checking their forums would change their tune if a confirmed release date for a new album came out.

You were supposed to be up there with Bono, Bon Jovi, Hetfield etc Axl you dumb fuck, not down there with Britney Fucking Spears Elton John, Motley Crue, Garth Brooks, Bette Midler, Deadmau5, Def Leppard, Frank Sinatra, Rod Stewart, Prince and Elvis Presley.

Fixed.

Really?

If you're happy that Axl ended up where Elvis finished his days, bloated and exhausted.

Where Def Leppard and Motley Crue go to to mop up the last dollars from their 1980's heyday.

Where Britney Spears will mop up the last dollars from her heyday..

Where Garth Brooks, Bette Midler, Frank Sinatra and Rod Stewart went to make money off the Hawaiiaan Shirt roly-poly blue-rinse contingent then...

Good for you.

For me, GNR should be touring at a level that Bon Jovi , U2, Bruce Springsteen, the Stones or Metallica go out on. Not this shit. Not this shit at all.

Edited by Intercourse

Guest Len B'stard
Thats about the size of it really

16 stone and round is about the size of it these days :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Anyone who claims to have a "fuck this band" attitude while actively checking their forums would change their tune if a confirmed release date for a new album came out.

You were supposed to be up there with Bono, Bon Jovi, Hetfield etc Axl you dumb fuck, not down there with Britney Fucking Spears Elton John, Motley Crue, Garth Brooks, Bette Midler, Deadmau5, Def Leppard, Frank Sinatra, Rod Stewart, Prince and Elvis Presley.

Fixed.

Really?

If you're happy that Axl ended up where Elvis finished his days, bloated and exhausted.

Where Def Leppard and Motley Crue go to to mop up the last dollars from their 1980's heyday.

Where Britney Spears will mop up the last dollars from her heyday..

Where Garth Brooks, Bette Midler, Frank Sinatra and Rod Stewart went to make money off the Hawaiiaan Shirt roly-poly blue-rinse contingent then...

Good for you.

For me, GNR should be touring at a level that Bon Jovi , U2, Bruce Springsteen, the Stones or Metallica go out on. Not this shit. Not this shit at all.

Sinatra MADE Vegas, and it was a different place back then in terms of clientele, big time. Granted, the rest of your point stands, but as a Sinatra fan myself I'm damned if I'll see him mentioned in the same sentence as Rod Stewart and Garth Brooks. ;)

If so, when was it? I hate the lack of communication, the lack of releases, the lack of a real management, the lack of musicians who can play their parts, the promises of something soon all the time only to never get it, and the fact that the band seems to hate its fans for wanting new music. I'm getting tired of it, I just want something new from my favorite band. I want to keep supporting Axl, but he is making it so fucking hard by not doing anything. I love CD, I love the new lineups, they're better than the old ones. But I am at a point where I'm beginning to lose faith that Axl cares about us. He never does interviews so we don't know his thoughts, but what are yours?

:rolleyes:

(Bare with me, this is related to the topic, I promise, and wfa don't take this personally, I see what you're saying)

CD is not Guns N' Roses, its just not. The name on the jewel case might say Guns N' Roses, but that's really only because Axl has the rights to the name. Guns N' Roses was a blues based, punk inspired, hard rock band. CD is not that, it's not bad, but it's not GNR. Axl's band maintain horrible PR, antagonizes the fans, and operates on a level of secrecy that intelligence analysts would be envious of. The last time Axl could really sing consistently was 2006, the band is unstable (members come and go quicker than albums are released), and there are supposed hordes of music sitting locked in a vault in some studio/Axl's house. It's a bleak picture, but it's reality.

I never lost faith in GNR because GNR ended a long time ago. I will say I started losing faith in Axl's band around 2005, then that tour in 2006 reinvigorated me, followed by CD's release. I thought CD was okay, and from there on out I started to lose interest/"faith." Now the band is a joke with guitar players complaining about not being able to play parts, management making statements that they're going to make statements, and just witnessing the thousands+ pages of discussion on this board all discussing pure speculation, guesswork, estimations, and conspiracy theories. Axl can do whatever he wants with his band, if he releases new music great, if he doesn't: cool, I don't really care. But this whole pretend game that Axl's band is somehow Guns N' Roses is really ridiculous. And don't try to argue that Deep Purple or Van Halen went through member changes but were still considered the same band; the difference is, they didn't completely change musical directions. And generally they had more than 1 original member... and they didn't dissolve their partnerships... the list goes on.

I sort of feel sorry for those who are eagerly awaiting new music from Axl, I can't believe so many people put up with it to be honest. You pay what? $80-$120 to go see them in concert, then you pay it again and again every time they're in the area, but no new music is released (even though it's talked about by band members), seems like a pretty big "FU" to me. I get that Axl has issues, but plenty of other artists have as well and they progressed with their art just fine.

I'll keep this short and sweet.....they are Guns N' Roses whether you like it or not.

Led Zep, Beatles, Deep Purple, Depeche Mode, Pink Floyd, Radiohead to name a few all changed their sound drastically and some if not all were more popular after.

• Like 1

If so, when was it? I hate the lack of communication, the lack of releases, the lack of a real management, the lack of musicians who can play their parts, the promises of something soon all the time only to never get it, and the fact that the band seems to hate its fans for wanting new music. I'm getting tired of it, I just want something new from my favorite band. I want to keep supporting Axl, but he is making it so fucking hard by not doing anything. I love CD, I love the new lineups, they're better than the old ones. But I am at a point where I'm beginning to lose faith that Axl cares about us. He never does interviews so we don't know his thoughts, but what are yours?

(Bare with me, this is related to the topic, I promise, and wfa don't take this personally, I see what you're saying)

CD is not Guns N' Roses, its just not. The name on the jewel case might say Guns N' Roses, but that's really only because Axl has the rights to the name. Guns N' Roses was a blues based, punk inspired, hard rock band. CD is not that, it's not bad, but it's not GNR. Axl's band maintain horrible PR, antagonizes the fans, and operates on a level of secrecy that intelligence analysts would be envious of. The last time Axl could really sing consistently was 2006, the band is unstable (members come and go quicker than albums are released), and there are supposed hordes of music sitting locked in a vault in some studio/Axl's house. It's a bleak picture, but it's reality.

I never lost faith in GNR because GNR ended a long time ago. I will say I started losing faith in Axl's band around 2005, then that tour in 2006 reinvigorated me, followed by CD's release. I thought CD was okay, and from there on out I started to lose interest/"faith." Now the band is a joke with guitar players complaining about not being able to play parts, management making statements that they're going to make statements, and just witnessing the thousands+ pages of discussion on this board all discussing pure speculation, guesswork, estimations, and conspiracy theories. Axl can do whatever he wants with his band, if he releases new music great, if he doesn't: cool, I don't really care. But this whole pretend game that Axl's band is somehow Guns N' Roses is really ridiculous. And don't try to argue that Deep Purple or Van Halen went through member changes but were still considered the same band; the difference is, they didn't completely change musical directions. And generally they had more than 1 original member... and they didn't dissolve their partnerships... the list goes on.

I sort of feel sorry for those who are eagerly awaiting new music from Axl, I can't believe so many people put up with it to be honest. You pay what? $80-$120 to go see them in concert, then you pay it again and again every time they're in the area, but no new music is released (even though it's talked about by band members), seems like a pretty big "FU" to me. I get that Axl has issues, but plenty of other artists have as well and they progressed with their art just fine.

I'll keep this short and sweet.....they are Guns N' Roses whether you like it or not.

Led Zep, Beatles, Deep Purple, Depeche Mode, Pink Floyd, Radiohead to name a few all changed their sound drastically and some if not all were more popular after.

Only Axl is Guns N' Roses for me..others are his employees :P

To Canon's point, they ARE Guns. I mean, the posters don't say Axl Rose, they say Guns N' Roses. My copies of CD don't say Axl Rose, they say Guns N' Roses. The concerts I attended weren't billed as Axl Rose, they were billed as Guns N' Roses.

You have a point but he did have a partner and co-founder with him at one time in Izzy.

To Canon's point, they ARE Guns. I mean, the posters don't say Axl Rose, they say Guns N' Roses. My copies of CD don't say Axl Rose, they say Guns N' Roses. The concerts I attended weren't billed as Axl Rose, they were billed as Guns N' Roses.

That's because Axl could get paid alot more money by the label if he turned in albums as "GNR".

You can argue over semantics until the end of time but you will always remain in a tiny minority of people who ever gave GNR the time of day.

• Like 2