How much money do you think the band made when YCBM was played during the Superbowl tonight?

Axl, izzy, slash and duff all got paid.

Axl has songwriter credit and publishing rights.

Izzy has songwriter credit, but not publishing rights.

Slash and duff both have publishing rights.

No other player, past or present, got a dime out of it.

I'd imagine each person got like $500-1000 out of it.

Edited by niceguy
  • Like 1

Does Matt not get anything? That's one song where his drumming really stands out.

Edited by Amir

Does Matt not get anything? That's one song where his drumming really stands out.

Nobody got fuck all..Niceguy has no fuckin' clue what he posts.

• Like 1

I thought they showed Duff right before the kickoff as it was playing, but it might have been a guy that looked like him, or my imagination. Either way it was surprising to hear considering they usually play Jungle if they play GNR

Duff was there. He has been saying he was going during last week. He even wrote an article on nfl.com. And he was interviewed in NFL network a few days ago.

• Like 1

Cool I missed that but many times I've heard "Welcome to the Jungle" played at different football games, so I'm sure the original members are getting paid.

I don't think you can use a song without the writer's consent and you don't want to mess with Axl, because you will be hearing from his lawyers

Nope, he's pretty bang on with respect to which individuals were likely to get paid.

Any venue that plays a recorded song must pay royalties. Doesn't matter if it's a stadium, arena, or bar. It's why ASCAP exists (the Canadian equivalent is SOCAN).

If you have songwriting/recording/publishing rights to a song, you are owed money when it is played at a venue for an event.

No clue how much each person makes for a song that appears at a sports game, but I can't see it being a ton of money. I think $500-$1000 is on the high side.

I'm also unsure if the importance of the event matters as well. The fact that it was the Super Bowl may not have brought in more money for those owed money for its performance. Again, we're talking about the paid rights to play the song at the venue. Had the broadcaster wanted to use the song in one of their promos, then you're talking tens, perhaps hundreds, of thousands of dollars.

Edited by downzy

Amir:

Matt gets zero out of it. Royalties don't work that way. Matt was paid a flat-fee for performing that song and he gets nothing in the way of songwriting or publishing royalties, ever. Not from album sales, public performances, licensing, zero.

Remember that song by Meatloaf, "I would do anything for love"? Yeah, the chick who sang the counterpoint to Meatloaf got paid a flat fee and nothing more. It may seem harsh, but it's business. Matt gets nothing.

Volcano:

I feel no need to justify why I'm pretty accurate in my post, so I won't list how I know how these things work.

Obviously, I don't know the precise details of GNR's legal arrangements, but I'm likely very close. This is how these things work.

Perhaps you would feel better if I said DJ gets $100million every time someone utters the word GNR. So, fine, DJ and BBF got all of the money. OK, happy now?

Edited by niceguy

Amir:

Matt gets zero out of it. Royalties don't work that way. Matt was paid a flat-fee for performing that song and he gets nothing in the way of songwriting or publishing royalties, ever. Not from album sales, public performances, licensing, zero.

Remember that song by Meatloaf, "I would do anything for love"? Yeah, the chick who sang the counterpoint to Meatloaf got paid a flat fee and nothing more. It may seem harsh, but it's business. Matt gets nothing.

Volcano:

I feel no need to justify why I'm pretty accurate in my post, so I won't list how I know how these things work.

Obviously, I don't know the precise details of GNR's legal arrangements, but I'm likely very close. This is how these things work.

Perhaps you would feel better if I said DJ gets $100million every time someone utters the word GNR. So, fine, DJ and BBF got all of the money. OK, happy now?

Do you understand English? I said nobody got fuck all. Maybe Black Frog but even then....I'm pretty sure the stadiums pay a fee in lump sum to the labels.

So I am maybe wrong...the label profits from shit like this, not the artist.

[?

Do you understand English? I said nobody got fuck all. Maybe Black Frog but even then....I'm pretty sure the stadiums pay a fee in lump sum to the labels.

So I am maybe wrong...the label profits from shit like this, not the artist.

You're parroting Axl's paranoia. The "labels" don't count for much anymore. Not only that, but Axl, slash, and duff actually negotiated huge power and control over their work. This is partly due to their savvy (all 3 are pretty damn savvy), partly due to the fact they were so huge that the execs had no choice but to cave to their demands.

They did indeed get paid. And sync fees for the Super Bowl are likely significantly larger than normal games.

• Like 1

I want to say the NFL pays a flat fee to Axl, Duff, and Slash for GNR songs at the beginning of the year but I don't know how that would work with individual stadium licenses.

Look up what ASCAP is and what it does and you'll have your answer. The NFL, or any other sporting event, does not negotiate with certain artists to play their songs at their games. The venues are responsible for paying a royalty each time a song is played, which is collected by ASCAP, which in turns pays the artist (or whoever owns the recording/publishing rights).

The label would get a piece for the recording rights, and whoever owns the publishing rights would get a piece. It's why if you ever hear a band perform a cover at a concert, the venue is still responsible for paying the person who who holds the publishing rights to that covered song. If the venue is playing the actual recording (for example, over the venue's sound system prior to the band hitting the stage), then the person or entity owning the recording rights would get a cut.

In other words, Volcano is talking out of his ass again.

Edited by downzy