Give it another chance, guys.

CD as a whole was good not great but good.

I instanly liked CD, SR, Better, Riad, IRS and Prostitute

Some songs I was lke WTF is this Catcher, TIL, Sorry, Scaped, IFW and to an exstint Maddy

IFW, Sorry, SOD and Maddy never grew on me, I wish he would have sang Maddy like he did at the VMA's and that would have changed my view on the song I bet.

The songs that grew on me where TWAT, Scaped and TIL.

So from my point of view is was a 50/50 album which isn't bad.

Hell back in the day AFD there where songs my inital impressions where that I didn't like them but after a few months they where some of my favorites.

CD for the average person and die hard fans a like is not a album you can listen to once and give a COMPLETE accessment, but most don't give albums a second or third chance and those that don't do this could just be missing out on something great and I say this about every album not just CD. With CD most that listened to it did not expect the radical change in music direction and also how fragmented the songs are with no single theme that pulls the album together.

CD just had so much stuff coming at you that you could listen to it hundreds of time and hear something new and I feel that is a bad thing even though I like half the album a more stripped down version could have faired betty mainstream. But we got what we got.

If you like it that is great and if don't like that to is great but all this bashing form both sides is so fucking stupid!!!

Why do people continually post about listening to the album again and again to like it? Most of us here have heard the album dozens of times and people act as if we've just repeatedly missed something. Many of us have tried to like the album, but maybe it's just not that great.

Because some people can't fathom that people have different musical tastes than they do. And if you don't like the music they love.....it can ONLY be because you are trolling. It can't be because you simply don't like it. But they can't comprehend that fact, as they don't like anything Slash is attached to simply because Axl hates Slash. So they assume that all people think like they do. Hence - you don't like CD, it's because of Slash. I don't know if it's scary, laughable or just sad that people actually think that way.

Can you imagine judging albums/bands simply by whether or not a random rock singer likes the members of the band or not, instead of judging bands/songs by how the music sounds to your ears? :crazy:

I love CD. One of my favorite albums of all time. Doesn't make me angry that others don't like it as much. Musical taste is all personal preference.

Edited by Groghan
  • Like 1

CD is one of my favorite albums, though I think a lot of it is due to the strange story surrounding it.

It's a good album, not as good as it could've been if it was released in 2002/2003, but it's still a good album. I think there's four reasons most people don't like it.

1. They've never been bothered to listen to it.

2. Slash isn't on it.

3. They dislike Axl.

4. The giant 14 year build up created expectations that Axl was going to release some ground breaking, amazing album that would change music history forever. This was a possibility in 2002 when Bucket and Finck were around, but by the time Axl decided to release the album, the songs were dated and overproduced.

• Like 1

CD is one of my favorite albums, though I think a lot of it is due to the strange story surrounding it.

It's a good album, not as good as it could've been if it was released in 2002/2003, but it's still a good album. I think there's four reasons most people don't like it.

2. Slash isn't on it.

3. They dislike Axl.

4. The giant 14 year build up created expectations that Axl was going to release some ground breaking, amazing album that would change music history forever. This was a possibility in 2002 when Bucket and Finck were around, but by the time Axl decided to release the album, the songs were dated and overproduced.

Well there is a 5th possible reason...the most obvious one...

5. None of the above...they just don't like the music.

• Like 1

2. Slash isn't on it.

3. They dislike Axl.

Sorry - but I strongly disagree.

In today's computer world, I highly doubt there are that many people out there that like and enjoy Axl Rose's past music that wouldn't listen to something new that he put out. That doesn't mean purchase the album. But a GnR fan who specifically goes out of their way to NOT listen to a CD song on youtube? No. That just isn't a reasonable expectation.

The truth is that the majority of people were underwhelmed by the album. Sure, some extremists won't listen to it because Slash is gone or because they hate Axl. But the remaining 99.9% of rock fans - they've heard the album on youtube. And they simply didn't like the music.

Number four could have some truth to it.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure why people have to keep making excuses. The album did what it did. And it is what it is. No excuse is going to change people's opinions. Some people liked it, some people didn't. All that matters is what YOU personally think of it.

One thing about Chinese Democracy that I like is the amount of layers that go into the songs. I know most people feel Axl over produced the record, but I kinda like that he tried combining multiple sounds into the songs.

You realize he put a lot of work into it, and while it didn't always work it was something he wanted to do. If you appreciate the artist then you have to appreciate the artistic effort on the album. It doesn't mean you have to like it, but the record represents Axl's vision. He didn't care if everyone hated it or everyone loved it. I appreciate that aspect of Chinese Democracy.

2. Slash isn't on it.

3. They dislike Axl.

I think there's a 5th reasons: they just simply don't like the songs on it, but i see your point, though

One thing about Chinese Democracy that I like is the amount of layers that go into the songs. I know most people feel Axl over produced the record, but I kinda like that he tried combining multiple sounds into the songs.

You realize he put a lot of work into it, and while it didn't always work it was something he wanted to do. If you appreciate the artist then you have to appreciate the artistic effort on the album. It doesn't mean you have to like it, but the record represents Axl's vision. He didn't care if everyone hated it or everyone loved it. I appreciate that aspect of Chinese Democracy.

Not sure I agree with this statement...I would have thought the opposite. I think Axl did care if people liked it and then the fact that it was an epic failure devastated Axl. Perhaps that is why he doesn't seem to give a shit anymore and hasn't released anything else. But granted that is mere speculation on my part. I just don't see how anyone could pour their heart and soul into something for over a decade and then not care what people thought of it.

• Like 1

Not sure I agree with this statement...I would have thought the opposite. I think Axl did care if people liked it and then the fact that it was an epic failure devastated Axl. Perhaps that is why he doesn't seem to give a shit anymore and hasn't released anything else. But granted that is mere speculation on my part. I just don't see how anyone could pour their heart and soul into something for over a decade and then not care what people thought of it.

Yea I could take that part out of my post bc I'd like to think Axl cared also and you make good points. It seems like Axl to care a lot about what other people think also.

I guess what I should have said is Axl was moving forward with his creative vision whether people wanted him to or not. He could have done a simple rock record that follows the guidelines of an Appetite type sound, but instead he went for a creative vision that in many ways turned people off. I think everyone wanted a simple rock record from Axl. He took a different path, and on parts of the album it really worked and others not so much.

I do think he would have enjoyed the aftermath of CD if it had been received better, so in that aspect my first post was wrong. I just think it's Axl's style to keep moving forward creatively, instead of going after a classic rock sound that would have pleased many more fans out there.

I have always thought some of the problem with Chinese Democracy is we all knew most of the songs long before the album came out. I think if there were no leaks, and a new album just dropped out of nowhere, we would like it much better.

Hopefully that's why there has been almost no talk of another album. Axl might feel that dropping the next record with no leaks will help the perception.

I caught myself humming Catcher in the Rye the other day while I was microwaving lunch. If I hum songs, it usually means I like 'em a lot. :huh:

This is the only song I didn't like since but I'll give it a try ( you make me listen to ChiDem album all over again).

EDIT:

Wow, I hate myself humming it right now. Not the GNR version but this video makes me like it. Thanks TombRaider :P

Edited by axlrod

There is no way to declare an album either "good" or "bad". Music isn't some sort of commodity that you can measure scientifically.

Many people don't enjoy the record, I personally do. It's a contender for a my favorite GNR album.

And might I add that simply because you personally don't like a song or album does not mean it sucks.

I caught myself humming Catcher in the Rye the other day while I was microwaving lunch. If I hum songs, it usually means I like 'em a lot. :huh:

This is the only song I didn't like since but I'll give it a try ( you make me listen to ChiDem album all over again).

EDIT:

Wow, I hate myself humming it right now. Not the GNR version but this video makes me like it. Thanks TombRaider :P

I love that video because you hear how strong the melody and lyrics are of the song. Axl singing that song in 91-93 would have nailed it, but current Axl seems to struggle to find a good mid voice for this song. I don't really like the high pitch it is sang in. I prefer the clearer voice of the guy in the video.

• Like 1

Oh, actually I'm sure many people who bash the album have tried to like it several times.

It's just not that good.

I like CD, The Blues and Maddy from RIR3. Great versions, more stripped down, love em, honestly.

Better, TWAT and Catcher have demo versions which are better than the album versions.

If the World, Schacklers, Sorry, Scraped, This I love and Prostitute are subpar material. They suck live, they suck on studio. It's hard to believe Axl wrote them, specially the lyrics. But believe me, I tried to like them, a lot. I didn't wait so many years to give up on CD after 10 listens.

You are either straight up trolling or just have horrible taste (which is fine if that's what makes you happy). Which is it?

I have great taste in music and feel pretty much the same. Your adhominem makes you a cunt. STFU and go clean your room.

• Like 1