Is newGnR complete opposite to oldGnR?

OldGnR released more records, had musicvideos, did press, promotion, Axl did more interviews with oldGnR, better management in the old days..

It seems newGnR does everything in reverse, for example have started to play smaller venues, releases only one record, no musicvideos, rarely does any press, bad management... :blink: And even the music seems to be from different planet LOL

Edited by gunnari

OldGnR released more records, had musicvideos, did press, promotion, Axl did more interviews with oldGnR, better management in the old days..

It seems newGnR does everything in reverse, for example have started to play smaller venues, releases only one record, no musicvideos, rarely does any press, bad management... :blink: And even the music seems to be from different planet LOL

Sadly.......this is true.

A lot of us don't want a reunion specifically because we want Adler, Slash, Duff and Izzy back in the band and we dislike the current guys (except for DJ and Pittman). It's because in the old days, Axl did all the things you mentioned. He released music. Did interviews. Kept in touch with his fans. This Axl rarely any of those.

Edited by Groghan

The old guys got tired, did way too many drugs, had big creative differences, and, likely, did very shitty things to each other.

The new guys, while clearly Axl's band, seem relatively clean, play better as a unit (it's true, don't even deny), and while some are hired hands, the others have pretty cool ideas that Axl likes working on (remixes, leaked tracks, etc.)

Why they don't get released? That's way beyond me, but I can't imagine the legal mess from past band members, bad management, faulty tours, record execs. in dying industry who are money-starved probably just want him to reunite with the older guys, etc.

• Like 2

Even if the old guys stayed together, CD would have been released in 2008.

Nothing has changed.

What makes you think that?

Together, the core group of Axl/Slash/Duff put out six albums between 1987-1996.

From 1996-2014, albums/EPs released:

Axl - 1

Slash - 9 (and another coming out this year)

Duff - 9

Izzy - 11

With the old band, on average, Axl released an album's worth of material every 1.5 years.

Without the old band.....1 album in 15 years.

Old band members.......have put out an average of 10 albums each during the same time period.

The numbers don't really back up your statement.

Nothing has changed.

Gotta disagree. Slash left and GNR was able to get away from the Appetite wanna be songs and mature into things like Maddy, TIL, Prostitute, Catcher etc

You do know that it was Slash who brought the music of songs like Coma and Civil War and Sweet Child and PC to Axl......right?

But anyway - why do you think songs like Madagascar and This I Love are more "mature" than songs from Appetite? You do realize that Axl wrote almost all the lyrics for Appetite and Illusions....right? This I Love has some of the cheesiest lyrics in the history of rock music.

I don't get it. Why is it so important to you to bash the old band? What do you get out of it? Most of us come here and can chat about the good and bad about the old band, the older-new band, and the current band. But you and a couple others don't seem capable of doing that. It's all praise, praise, praise CD and bash, bash, bash the old band, especially Slash. Is it a game or competition or some weird need to try and "defend" Axl?

Edited by Groghan
  • Like 3

Nothing has changed.

Gotta disagree. Slash left and GNR was able to get away from the Appetite wanna be songs and mature into things like Maddy, TIL, Prostitute, Catcher etc

Biggest loss to GnR was Izzy. All his stuff is at the core of the great GNR sound, and is clearly the most talented of all members when it comes to song writing.

Slash is great and taking existing songs/ideas and lifting them up to a different level, but imo a bad & cheesy song writer.

Izzy was the spine of the songs. Once he stopped contributing, it was never going ot be the same (and this is evidence in all other ex & current members work post Izzy imo).

Edited by hudsonsaul

After Slash quit, he did some "opposite of GnR" type things. Actually to be fair, quite a few of his guest appearances are cringe-worthy. This is just a taste. Enjoy!

And quite a few are outstanding. When you always work and collaborate with so many people, not all of it is going to be great.

These are killer imo:

(Thx to Moreblack for making me aware of Fields Of Joy)

Edited by Rovim

After Slash quit, he did some "opposite of GnR" type things. Actually to be fair, quite a few of his guest appearances are cringe-worthy. This is just a taste. Enjoy!

It's funny. When someone criticizes GnR your standard rebuttal is "YEAH BUT SLASH.......".

That's sort of childish. It's like a little kid who did something bad and then starts by shouting "Yeah but he.....".

Why don't you try to accept people's criticism as criticism towards GnR. It has NOTHING to do with what Slash does these days What he does now is completely irrelevant when you're comparing classic GnR and current GnR. That's what this thread was about.

Edited by username

Guest Len B'stard

To be fair, original GnR took their sweet time doing shit too, people moaned even back in the day, four year gap from debut to follow up, people thought that was a lot back in the day, what little they knew :lol:

It's funny. When someone criticizes GnR your standard rebuttal is "YEAH BUT SLASH.......".

That's sort of childish. It's like a little kid who did something bad and then starts by shouting "Yeah but he.....".

Why don't you try to accept people's criticism as criticism towards GnR. It has NOTHING to do with what Slash does these days What he does now is completely irrelevant when you're comparing classic GnR and current GnR. That's what this thread was about.

It's all they have left.

When this saga started Axl was a buff, fierce, global superstar who had a vision of music sooooo far above that of his then bandmates that they all had to go.

Exciting place for them all to start.

All they have now is a doughy, bored and artistly flatlined singer, dialling in 27 year old songs with a human backing track while his "Mom" keeps all the bad people away.

And low and behold, the shambolic alcholic cartoon of a guitar player whom everybody though would be found decaying in a flea pit hotel is still artisically productive, touring, world famous and most improtantly a happy sober family man.

Who would have thought?

It's all they have left.

When this saga started Axl was a buff, fierce, global superstar who had a vision of music sooooo far above that of his then bandmates that they all had to go.

Exciting place for them all to start.

All they have now is a doughy, bored and artistly flatlined singer, dialling in 27 year old songs with a human backing track while his "Mom" keeps all the bad people away.

And low and behold, the shambolic alcholic cartoon of a guitar player whom everybody though would be found decaying in a flea pit hotel is still artisically productive, touring, world famous and most improtantly a happy sober family man.

Who would have thought?

You're talking about Axl like he's a hobo lol. The man is rich as fuck and does whatever the shit he wants. Just because he very rarely releases music doesn't mean he's 'artistly flatlined'. For all we know there is brilliant material in the vault.

He never released a bad album of original material imo.

Edited by Rovim

http://www.youtube.com/watch ?v=dVMoEnpl66Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch ?v=oaUqIFMkm-s

Well naturally I disagree. You seem to have missed a few things and I'd say some of your logic is flawed. Let's clear that up, shall we?

Firstly, the thread asked if newGnR is the complete opposite of oldGnR. That's what the thread asked, right? Right. So when discussing something like that, sometimes it's important to explore what might also be considered the "opposite" of oldGnR.

Secondly, Slash used to be in oldGnR. Right? Right. Therefore his side projects are fair game as a reference point for showing examples of what also might be considered the "complete opposite of oldGnR". I happen to think the examples I posted demonstrate an oldGnR member partaking in opposite-of-oldGnR activities. I could be wrong.

Thirdly, as I wrote in my post (but which you didn't seem to... read), the songs I linked to were done shortly after Slash left GnR, not these days or is doing now like you said in your post. So taking all this into account, it just might be not completely irrelevant after all. Ya wanna talk about oldGnR, then ya get to talk about Slash. See how that works?

By all means though, have at it. I think it's an interesting thread- I just wanted to add my little 2 cents.

To be fair, original GnR took their sweet time doing shit too, people moaned even back in the day, four year gap from debut to follow up, people thought that was a lot back in the day, what little they knew :lol:

And that si the reason they released Lies to hold the fans over till UYI were done

Guest Len B'stard

And that si the reason they released Lies to hold the fans over till UYI were done

Still was moaned about though.