When did Slash become a disinteresting mascot/nostalgianovelty/whatever for you?

For me, this already happened in the nineties, when I heard the first Snakepit things.

It was ok material from many angles, but ultimately, if Slash didn't have his GNR past, they'd never even landed a (major) record deal.

It became blatantly obvious that all the mysticism surrounding him and his guitar playing was mostly born out of his image in the now legendary overblown GNR videos. Sure, he could do a decent showing in his own style and what he does, but a great guitarist or an interesting artist it doesn't make out of him.

He had the look but he is even less of a songwriter than Axl is.

I tried to get excited by Velvet Revolver when it was happening but no, there just wasn't much there to be found. It was just a simple dig at easy glory on the collective back of the accomplishments the musicians involved had done in their past.

Edited by phaeryen

Alot of what you wrote sounds like you are talking about Axl/his current musicians.

ex- "if (insert current guys) didn't have the GnR past, they'd never even landed a (minor) record deal." "He had the look...." (key word- had) "easy glory on the back of the accomplishments they'd done in their past".

I'll be the first one to admit that I have always followed Axl and the current GN'R (yes, whoever they are at any given time). But I don't hate Slash, and don't blame him at all in regards to Guns' history etc.

But Slash's biggest problem is that his position in a band is always going to be secondary to the frontman, and Axl was the best he is ever going to have. His solo albums make no sense as it's always like a singer for hire, which degrades the whole point anyway.

Slash's best hope to be successful again is to concentrate on a band, in which he can shine the same way he shone in GN'R. And his best hope for that so far is VR, that's how I see it.

• Like 1

Pretty much every album he's ever put out, I like it a lot for a couple of weeks then start to lose interest fairly quickly. They're all decent overall, but nothing special. I do really like Ain't Life Grand quite a bit, it's too bad Rod Jackson wasn't a very good singer because there are some good songs on there. I didn't mind Dover's vocals, but it's too bad the first Snakepit album was recorded so quickly. Decent but it sounds unfinished. Both VR albums are good. Not great.

Edited by axlsalinger

I haven't enjoyed most of his music post-GnR.

I've recently gotten into Anastashia and I hate to say it, but musically, that song is as good as pretty much anything on CD.

What I do really admire about the musician though is how much he loves and respects his fans.

The guy has put out 9 music releases post GnR. He has played with numerous other artists. He communicates with his fans. And he is very media friendly - IE: giving his fans interviews and information about his plans.

Even if you don't like his music, or you are one of those clowns who hates him just because Axl does, you have to admire him for the career path he's taken. Not very many other guitar players has done what he has.

• Like 1

Alot of what you wrote sounds like you are talking about Axl/his current musicians.

ex- "if (insert current guys) didn't have the GnR past, they'd never even landed a (minor) record deal." "He had the look...." (key word- had) "easy glory on the back of the accomplishments they'd done in their past".

Just because you have a hardon for hating on axl/his current musicians, doesn't make me the same.

if Slash didn't have his GNR past, they'd never even landed a (major) record deal.

No shit. Like every other musician in the history of mankind who's gone solo.

You're completely delusional if you really believe what you just said there.

Slash isn't a songwriter.

He is, however, a superlative lead guitarist. In the right context (like working with izzy and Axl), slash is phenomenal.

Same goes for Axl. He's a phenomenal singer, lyricist, and songwriter, but he needs the right people around him.

Same goes for izzy.

They were incredible together and only together.

• Like 2

Every member of classic/UYI Guns has bored the shit out of me since classic/UYI Guns broke up.

But at least those guys are trying and making an effort.

Slash, Duff and Izzy have all put out around 10 musical releases since then.

Slash and Duff are extremely fan friendly.

Wouldn't you rather Axl stepped up to the plate and took some chances - and maybe failed, rather than him just sitting at home and living off his work from 20 years earlier?

You gotta have respect for people who at least step up to the plate and give it a shot, over those who are afraid to even step in the ring.

I don't think I've liked anything Duff has done musically since GnR. But I respect the hell out of the guy for consistently putting out new music for his fans to enjoy. And for the way he interacts with the fans.

For me, this already happened in the nineties, when I heard the first Snakepit things.

It was ok material from many angles, but ultimately, if Slash didn't have his GNR past, they'd never even landed a (major) record deal.

It became blatantly obvious that all the mysticism surrounding him and his guitar playing was mostly born out of his image in the now legendary overblown GNR videos. Sure, he could do a decent showing in his own style and what he does, but a great guitarist or an interesting artist it doesn't make out of him.

I tried to get excited by Velvet Revolver when it was happening but no, there just wasn't much there to be found. It was just a simple dig at easy glory on the collective back of the accomplishments the musicians involved had done in their past.

Awwwwh. Did somebody make this tread because mean people were saying bad things about Axl and you wanted to strike back by insulting Slash? :lol:

Whether you like it or not Slash is one of the most recognized and respected classic rock guitarists out there. You may not like his material and yes I do believe that Slash is better at making someone else's song transcend than writing his own stuff. But I do love his solo material as well as VR. He's productive. So what if it's a hit and miss for some people. But at least he's out there creating loads of music solo, with bands and with other artists. People want him on their tracks. He seems eager and happy to be doing what he does. People seem to respect him for that too. He's never attempted to lean mainly on what he did with GnR did in the 80's and early 90's. That makes him a respectable artist in my book.

I'm sorry you don't like his stuff. Because those of us who do are treated regularly to new exciting material and we get to hear a load of variety when we see him live. It's a great time to be a Slash fan.

Maybe you should follow Ashba's example. He loves Slash so much that he tries to copy him all the time.

• Like 1

Awwwwh. Did somebody make this tread because mean people were saying bad things about Axl and you wanted to strike back by insulting Slash? :lol:

Whether you like it or not Slash is one of the most recognized and respected classic rock guitarists out there. You may not like his material and yes I do believe that Slash is better at making someone else's song transcend than writing his own stuff. But I do love his solo material as well as VR. He's productive. So what if it's a hit and miss for some people. But at least he's out there creating loads of music solo, with bands and with other artists. People want him on their tracks. He seems eager and happy to be doing what he does. People seem to respect him for that too. He's never attempted to lean mainly on what he did with GnR did in the 80's and early 90's. That makes him a respectable artist in my book.

I'm sorry you don't like his stuff. Because those of us who do are treated regularly to new exciting material and we get to hear a load of variety when we see him live. It's a great time to be a Slash fan.

Maybe you should follow Ashba's example. He loves Slash so much that he tries to copy him all the time.

Don't you know that there is a small section of posters on here who feel the best way to defend Axl is to insult Slash? (Seriously, they really do think that way).

He's none of these things to me. He was the lead guitarist in my favorite band of all time.

And, cards on the table time? Of all the things this GNR Civil War has wrought since 10/31/1996, the way some of you have turned against Slash solely because Axl has is completely pathetic. Its like you all think its carrying some sort of favor with the man, who...wake the fuck up...doesn't care about any of you.

I 100%, no question about it, would be my life on the prospect, believe that if Axl patched it up with Slash tomorrow, all you alleged Slash haters would fall right back into line. And that's from the people that only think anti-Slash stuff but don't say it, right on through the main offender with the / before his signature.

• Like 1