When did Slash become a disinteresting mascot/nostalgianovelty/whatever for you?

I think every member from 87-92 hasn't made an album that rivals their GnR material. Let's stop the BS that Axl made an album that is greater or equal to his past.

Now I am one that followed Axl over the other members simply because Vocals are way more important to me than musicians but Axl wasted his prime years on an album that really wasn't worth it. I hear a song like "Since I don't have you" and he sounds amazing on it and it saddens me that he could have had an album which he sounded like that but like I said wasted potential.

Which also brings me to say Axl is a front man and not a solo artist and he fronts a weak or lame band for the past 20 years I'm guessing. So yes Axl needs slash and co. and they needed him in order to make classic music.

Slash isn't a songwriter.

He is, however, a superlative lead guitarist. In the right context (like working with izzy and Axl), slash is phenomenal.

Same goes for Axl. He's a phenomenal singer, lyricist, and songwriter, but he needs the right people around him.

Same goes for izzy.

They were incredible together and only together.

Yes. YES! A thousand times yes!
  • Like 1

For me, this already happened in the nineties, when I heard the first Snakepit things.

It was ok material from many angles, but ultimately, if Slash didn't have his GNR past, they'd never even landed a (major) record deal.

It became blatantly obvious that all the mysticism surrounding him and his guitar playing was mostly born out of his image in the now legendary overblown GNR videos. Sure, he could do a decent showing in his own style and what he does, but a great guitarist or an interesting artist it doesn't make out of him.

He had the look but he is even less of a songwriter than Axl is.

I tried to get excited by Velvet Revolver when it was happening but no, there just wasn't much there to be found. It was just a simple dig at easy glory on the collective back of the accomplishments the musicians involved had done in their past.

if you start with the premise he was a novelity mascot etc..then you will finish with that pre concieved idea as well. Slash has a distinct tone and unique style that is recognized by true guitarist. People that actually study the instrument and expand their talent. Having observed the Hollywood sound and the era he came from I think its safe to say without any disdain that he has accomplished something remarkable. You question his iconic image as being his key to success... no. its his talent and his just doing what he does. His image is his trademark....say oh then thats the only reason people take him into account- then take a long hard look at BH and Fink and ask yourself if they are not mascots or novelty as well? DJ has his trademark look... BBF has his as well... most entertainers do. Axl is still characterised by his 90's look. Long hair and a red bandana etc. To say that about Slash you would have to also say that about AXl. look at how many pages have been dedicated to HOW AXL LOOKS NOW?

I mean.. BH didnt even bother to change his image or his presentation when he was in Guns and Roses. You got a 2 for 1 when you went to the 2001 shows. BH did his gig right inside and along with GNR. Aside from his amazing talent... some of his fans love him for his whole chicken thing and are drawn to his macbre way of expressing himself. Its all a get up.

If anything Slash stayed true to his talent. He appeals to those that he appeals to and it works at a level that keeps his career going when many many guitarist of his era are no where to be found. That so many artists have requested him to play..for what ever distasteful reason or another the case may be.. he is what he is and it works. He continues to cater to his fan base.. has no pretentious ideal that he has to accomplish or achieve previous glory and enjoys staying in the game.. how could anyone begrude that? I think that what gets the millineal generations panties in a twist is that its a throwback look to that era... so its easy for the mindless to dismiss talent for appearance.

Am I missing something or is Anastasia just a cool riff and a cool solo? It's really not much of a song, is it?

The lyrics aren´t very impresive nor important in this case. But Slash intro and solo are based on classical music. Toccata and Fugue in D minor by J.S. Bach. That´s what makes this song amazing to me. It was love at first sight. How good Slash combined Bach with rock. The Bach version last around 9 minutes. And it was made and perform in organ. World famous piece. After this I want Motzart :lol: Nah I won´t ask Slash that much

Edited by Padme

For me, this already happened in the nineties, when I heard the first Snakepit things.

It was ok material from many angles, but ultimately, if Slash didn't have his GNR past, they'd never even landed a (major) record deal.

It became blatantly obvious that all the mysticism surrounding him and his guitar playing was mostly born out of his image in the now legendary overblown GNR videos. Sure, he could do a decent showing in his own style and what he does, but a great guitarist or an interesting artist it doesn't make out of him.

He had the look but he is even less of a songwriter than Axl is.

I tried to get excited by Velvet Revolver when it was happening but no, there just wasn't much there to be found. It was just a simple dig at easy glory on the collective back of the accomplishments the musicians involved had done in their past.

Awwwwh. Did somebody make this tread because mean people were saying bad things about Axl and you wanted to strike back by insulting Slash? :lol:

I've been shitting on Axl ever since I joined this forum, probably around ~1600 or so of my 1800+ total posts, are, in their basic form, me being very critical of Axl/nuguns/chinesedemocracy.

So your joke kind of fell off from there I'm afraid.

Wanna get on topic? Or keep making a fool of yourself?

Didn't create this topic to talk about myself so you shouldn't do that either.

Wrong section

Don't worry about it.
It should be in Side Projects

I was considering moving this since it deals with Slash's output since leaving Guns, but I think there's some ground to consider what he's done and how people feel about it compared to when he was in Guns.

Never, I am a gnr fan and realize without his contributions, most of the great hits would not exist, and their would be no nu-gnr. Dumb topic. Unless you are too young and think this new cover band is gnr.

Edited by fabrph5

Wrong section

Don't worry about it.
It should be in Side Projects

Yep the Slash section in side projects.

Why does it even exist if we can discuss the King that can do no wrong in the D&N?

Here's your answer from a few posts before this:

"I was considering moving this since it deals with Slash's output since leaving Guns, but I think there's some ground to consider what he's done and how people feel about it compared to when he was in Guns."

Alot of what you wrote sounds like you are talking about Axl/his current musicians.

ex- "if (insert current guys) didn't have the GnR past, they'd never even landed a (minor) record deal." "He had the look...." (key word- had) "easy glory on the back of the accomplishments they'd done in their past".

You think a band with Axl Rose, Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson and Buckethead couldn't have got a record deal?! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Guest Len B'stard

The problem with people like Slash…and Axl for that matter, is that they are incarcerated in their own image, they set stringent parameters for themselves and their character and end up trapped by them. So once they've worn the mileage and novelty out of their image (and it is just an image) they hit a wall and have nowhere to go. The enduring artists of music are the ones whose music stands by itself, with or without the image, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, artists that move forward because they have the breadth to do so because they did not align themselves with or assign themselves to a particular way and establish parameters for themselves, which end up choking them.

Axl and Slash will never grow beyond Guns n Roses and i don't even think they 100% want to. It takes a special kinda courage to have the gut to put the brakes on your particular gravy train. Some people just forget there is anything else. And hey, this isn't criticism, more power to em if it's what they want, just explaining why i think that, to me, rockstars generally tend to get disinteresting eventually. 'Rock stars' as the textbook would have you understand the term.

And this is coming from someone who loves em both…I just don't have any illusions about their ability to ever step out of the very narrow parameters they have laid out for themselves, Slash will never be anything but Slash, the bluesy pop rock guy out of Guns n Roses….and Axl will never really do anything but sing on slightly accentuated or modernised or tweaked versions of the GnR template as laid out by their musical output.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

When he admitted in 2008 that VR was a joke and that all the times he said things were "going great with Scott" was just a load of bullshit press talk.

Wow, Slash trashing former band mates in the press. Who would have seen that one coming?

I'm so ignorant. Hell, I might actually be dumb. Can you please do me a favor and provide links to stories/clips where Slash is trashing Axl.

TIA

I feel like bashing Slash makes me a bigger Axl fan.

And bashing Slash somehow makes up for what Axl has done to GnR since he took sole control of the band.

True Axl fans can't also like or respect Slash.....we must bash him at every opportunity.

I feel like bashing Slash makes me a bigger Axl fan.

And bashing Slash somehow makes up for what Axl has done to GnR since he took sole control of the band.

True Axl fans can't also like or respect Slash.....we must bash him at every opportunity.

exactly! my nuts swell when I get to dig in on Slash. I get to feel closer to Axl and distance myself for "cockrock" and "hair Metal" when i do that. Everyday I want to do a thread of "whos the best guitarist threads" to try to drive home the point that this new band has some validity and has contributed to the heritage and legacy of GNR.. but Wfuckinga beat me to it.

Had Slash not left the band we all know that Axl could have had 10 albums out by now.

Instead of Motley Crue doing a "FINAL TOUR" and leaving the scene.. it could have been Guns and Roses...but no now were doomed to stil around and wait to see if these 3 new songs are in fact 3 new songs or more of the same patchworked together protools tinker toy made wall of ecclectic and interesting sounds .... waiting for the left overs.

He became a nostalgia piece after VR disbanded and he started the solo career. Even on VR's last album he was experimenting, trying different thing. He changed his entire tone for that album. After that he sort of just started putting out albums of Slash playing Slash.

Velvet Revolver was a legitimate band that was more than just a spin off of GNR or STP. They wrote some damn good songs, had major hits, and weren't caricatures of themselves. Since then Slash has spent most of his time being Slash the caricature. Which is fine by the way, I'm not passing negative judgement on it. I'm sure many musicians would kill to be able to make money simply by acting up to their persona. It's a sign people still care about his persona.

• Like 1

Thought Contraband was a solid rock album. Nothing mindblowing or anything that ranks up with real gnr. But it was certainly the best post 96 guns record so far.

Since then, it's just been pretty boring. Maybe 2-4 solid songs off each of his following records. At best. You can tell music is a part time hobby for Slash now instead of the life long passion it once was. And, to me, he's earned that right. He's not pretending to be something he's not, and horribly dragging a household name band through the trenches like, IMHO, Axl is. He's already accomplished more than most musicians could hope to, and already cemented his place as one of the all time greats.