Best guitarists GNR has had in order

'Best guitarist' is completely different to best musician/songwriter, so with that in mind:

Buckethead

Bumblefoot

Richard Fortus

Robin Finck

Slash

Dj ASHBA

Izzy Stradlin

Paul Tobias

A best musician/songwriter list is completely different:

Slash

Buckethead

Izzy Stradlin

Robin Finck

Paul Tobias

Bumblefoot

Dj ASHBA

Richard Fortus

Bumble

Bucket

Robin

Richard

Paul

Dj

Izzy

Gilby

Slash

Edit: Forgot about Izzy and Gilby

Gilby ahead of Slash?

Slash..........came up with the music for Estranged, Coma, Civil War and handed those to Axl for lyrics and his input. Slash helped write, create and perform iconic songs that are regarded as Hall of Fame material. He is loved by millions of fans. He is a critically acclaimed guitar player. Other musicians love to work with him.

Gilby...........basically a sessions guitar player, hired gun, etc.. Didn't write any music for GnR.

Please give us your reason why you think he is a better guitar player (for GnR) than Slash. Walk us through your thought process. I'm pretty sure Gilby would even laugh in your face. We know Volcano is just trolling with his answer. I hope you aren't doing the same thing. Please tell us why you think Gilby was better than Slash.

Edited by Groghan

Slash

Izzy

Both awesome.

Out of Post-mortem hirelings, I like Finck and can appreciate honesty of Bumble. But then, I don't think these ppl really should count. It'd be like listing "People Lenin has met" and happily mixing up people he met while still alive and those who have oggled at his embalment corpse.

Without a doubt Bucket is most talented guitarist to have ever worked with GNR.Thing is,if technical skillz is only thing you appreciate in rock musican, you are too much of an engineering robot to like rock anyway.

wfuckinga, i'd like to hear your opinion as to why one of the founding members of the band and one of the most influential guitarists of all time could be at the bottom of your list. I mean, he's down there for a reason in your opinion, right? Below rhythm guitarists? Let's hear your opinion and reasoning.

• Like 3

Slash and Izzy top the list, of course. They mightn't be the "best" from a technical perspective (as in who can shred the fasterest) but their combo was 2/5 of what made GNR what it was (magic) and those songs never sound better than when played by those guys together.

Where Izzy is lauded as the songwriting genius/ Axl's writing partner in the old band, that role seemed to have been taken up by Paul Huge in the nu GNR era, yet he obviously didn't look cool enough + the infamous Rocket Queen solo + what Slash said about him sees him relegated to almost invisible.

For all the shit chucked at Paul Tobias for his guitar playing, I think he was/is a better guitarist than DJ Ashba and I have absolutely no doubt he is the better songwriter.

So for the new GNR period I'd put Bucket, Robin and Paul all together just like Izzy and Slash.

Yes, Bucket wins in the technical (and creative) stakes but Robin also brought great stuff to the table so I'll put them together and Paul's songwriting can't be written off (if you like Chinese Democracy stuff)

Gilby, Richard and Ron are all "troopers" but they haven't had a chance to show what they re capable of original music wise so they go in a different category.

You know damn well he's trolling.

Him and Volcano CAN'T be trolling. On a daily basis they complain about people trolling......so for them to do the same thing would make them both complete hypocrites. So they must be serious.

I'm really curious to hear either one of them explain their reasoning. Keeping in my the topic isn't "favorite" guitar player, but "best." If these guys are just trolling then they need to stfu with their constantly complaining about other posters and I'll find it hard to ever take either one of them seriously again.

^^

LMAO

Thats a reply thats never coming..... :P

Really?? Damn I was looking forward to an amazing explanation behind putting one of rocks greatest guitarists of all time on the back seat. Oh well.

PS: Chill with the subtle troll bait shit, wfa

Maybe I'm naive and don't quite do the internet right but what is the point of trolling? You literally just look like a fool to everyone and that in turn gives the person a few chuckles, as they sit alone behind their computer.

There has got to be less sad and more fun things to do with your time.

Talent wise...

Bumblefoot

Richard Fortus

Buckethead

Robin

Izzy

Paul

Dj

Tracii

Gilby

Slash

Talentwise.... and Slash is at the bottom, for god sake! you have no idea what you're talking about. Paul tobias is better is he? Gilby is better no bloody way, and DJ is not a more creative or skilled guitarist than slash. You're list is compiled out of hate for Slash that's all, fact is you would kiss his ass if you ever got within sniffing distance of him - you also have no real beef with him, that's someone else's life (unless you're Axl rose) so grow up, you say you like what he did in GnR, well that means he's a talented guitar player and he wrote parts that you love... what has DJ, Traci or Paul done to deserve a higher ranking than one of the most iconic and influential guitarist of all time?

Volcano you have no grip on reality, Slash is the best GnR guitar player because he is (along with Axl rose) GnR.the rest of the list is Izzy as he's also a vital par of what made that band (and you don' have to be a lead guitaist to be a good guitarist), Bumblefoot, Richard, Gilby, Finck and finally it would be Dj. tobias does not make the list as he's not a talented player nor has he had any influence on music in general.

Edited by Tom2112

Best guitarist list should have Bumble, Bucket and Rich on top, no if's - all of the others would be well below them. However, if we're talking about musicianship, Slash takes Rich's place, but not Bumble's and Bucket's. They put themselves on the top of the new generation of guitarists solely based on their solo career.

Best GnR guitarist would be tough... Slash and Izzy up front, Bucket, Robin and Paul below them and then Bumble, Gilby, Rich and DJ.

Edited by Bruno P.

First list is in order of what they've brought to the band - songs...

Slash
Izzy
Robin
Buckethead

none of the rest have written songs that we have heard so can't judge them on that ... so, the below list is on who I like (for whatever reasons, they are my own)

Slash
Izzy
Buckethead
Robin
Richard
Gilby
Bumblefoot
Paul
D.J.

Not gonna include Tracii, Dave Navarro, Gary Sunshine, Wes Arkeem or anyone that has played a minor role in a GN'R song or performance over the years.