What if the "new" material sucks?

I say "new" because of songs like the General or Atlas Shrugged or Silkworms that have been floating around for awhile.

Anyways just about every member of this forum is united by the fact that they want to see GNR release some new music sometime in the future. When will this point in the future be? Well that's another thread for another day.

But if CD is any indicator of what to expect, well, fuck. I mean, how high are your expectations for this new shit? CD was mediocre, and I have a strong feeling that whatever else will come out will probably be the same. Do you all enjoy this masochistic torture? At least the "new" bands that I like (Sheepdogs, J. Roddy Walston, Black Keys, bla bla bla) actually can release quality material on a consistent basis. THAT is something worth looking forward to.

Yea, I don't believe they held back their best songs from CD just because several of them had already leaked or been played live. They want the fans to think there is some big arsenal of "big guns" waiting to be released but The General is probably some 10 minute theatrical intro to Scraped part 2.

Silkworms.....lmao

Jackie Chan sounded like more crybaby shit.

If Going Down, new OMG, Jackie Chan and Silkworms are any indication, this next album will be better than CD :headbang: Come on Ax, I got faith in you! Get this motherfucker out and prove all these people wrong!!

Better than NO material.

If it does though, this ^

I think they held back the best songs on CD. Axl said in 2002 that The Blues, Riad, Madagascar, and CD were the less good songs. They were going to be released in ADDITION to 16-18 new songs. I think that ultimately songs that got released were based almost fully on the leaks. We know he considered CITR and Prostitute to be some of the "Big Guns", but what else?

I think The General is over hyped. From what we've heard of it in the intros, it's nothing more than another over produced ballad. Jackie Chan (a.k.a checkmate) sounds like a good song from the 20 second clip we've heard. Going Down received good reviews when it leaked. Atlas is supposed to be a good song, one of Bumble's favorites. Soul Monster is supposed to be one of Axl's favorites. Beta's Barn is one of Pitman's favorites that he described as silkworms 2.0. Daddy Can The Devil Do Mommy and Me was written at the same time as OMG for the End of Days sound track. Down by the Ocean is an Izzy song.

We know Oklahoma/Berlin was written in the mid 90's, around the time of the Oklahoma bombing. As for the others, Zodiac, Quick Song, Seven, Cuban Skies, Ides of March, Tonto, Thyme, Monstrosity, etc, We've heard pretty much nothing about.

It makes sense to release the stuff that leaked first. I mean, if he had released CD with all unheard songs and left off everything that leaked, CITR, TWAT, Prostitute, etc, we would be sitting on those songs then, which by the time they were officially released would be worthless to fans as we would've known them already.

It's like Going Down. Let's say Going Down was just a demo that wasn't going to be released (obviously not true as it was on the setlist, but just hypothetically), would it make sense to release CD II without it and then decide in 5 or 10 years to include it on the next album? In 5 or 10 years it'll have became just another unreleased song.

As for silkworms, Axl said Silkworms would not be released until CD III because the fans weren't ready to hear it. Obviously, plans have probably changed considering back in 2002 when he said that the plan was to have CD III out by 2008.

Edited by liers

He never released a bad album imo so I'm not worried about the quality.

Axl said that if you didn't like Chinese, you probably won't like the next album. I love Chinese so my concerns are if/when we'll see a release and what will be left from Bucket's and Robin's work.

I'm fairly new to this forum...but I've read enough to know...even if it sucks really, really bad...there are a few folks on here who would never admit it, will hail it as a masterpiece, and will look down their noses at the rest of us because we are just too damned immature to understand the complexities of Axl's art!

Haha, true enough.

What gets me is that if it's a bad song layering guitar solos and sound fx over it isn't going to make it "better"...take the 99 demos ( IRS and TWAT) and the 4 we got in 06, they didn't turn into BETTERER songs those years in the can (TWAT solo maybe)

I have interest in new material, I thought about it today and realized that the new material would likely sound like a more extreme Chinese without much of the "nice" songs like SOD and Catcher, I expect the next to have a lot more in common with Shacklers or Rhiad. I like Shacklers and I'd be interested to hear another song in a similar vein but do I want to hear Axl singing over a more Keyboard focused album...? No, I really have no interest in listening to Axl playing around with a bunch of synth sounds, small doses? yes, a whole album like Silkworms or OMG? No thank you (both songs being the two weakest songs I've ever heard from Axl).

It's so obvious what they need to do, but I don't think it's what they will actually do. I believe they will make the wrong next album (right for them of course) and that will be that. The wrong album being an over produced album full of shred, synth and some pretty cool songs but overall a very inaccessible album to anyone but devoted followers desperate to enjoy whatever is released.

The right album being a modern rock record with tasteful guitar (with some craziness every once in a while), and smooth synth sounds with a great strong raspy/clean vocal from Axl, not overly produced or labored over.

So people care about quantity and not quality?

When your favorite releases one album of original material in the last 20 years........yes, at that point, you'd take a little quantity over quality.

Especially when you consider that Axl hasn't released a bad album of original material yet. So not sure why people think that the man doesn't have the talent to release quality material more than once a decade.

So people care about quantity and not quality?

When your favorite releases one album of original material in the last 20 years........yes, at that point, you'd take a little quantity over quality.

Especially when you consider that Axl hasn't released a bad album of original material yet. So not sure why people think that the man doesn't have the talent to release quality material more than once a decade.

But this is a matter of opinion...on the other hand if you think CD was not all that good then you're probably not that excited about hearing new material, especially if it's just the release of the leftovers that weren't even good enough for CD.

Edited by foghat43

I have interest in new material, I thought about it today and realized that the new material would likely sound like a more extreme Chinese without much of the "nice" songs like SOD and Catcher, I expect the next to have a lot more in common with Shacklers or Rhiad. I like Shacklers and I'd be interested to hear another song in a similar vein but do I want to hear Axl singing over a more Keyboard focused album...? No, I really have no interest in listening to Axl playing around with a bunch of synth sounds, small doses? yes, a whole album like Silkworms or OMG? No thank you (both songs being the two weakest songs I've ever heard from Axl).

It's so obvious what they need to do, but I don't think it's what they will actually do. I believe they will make the wrong next album (right for them of course) and that will be that. The wrong album being an over produced album full of shred, synth and some pretty cool songs but overall a very inaccessible album to anyone but devoted followers desperate to enjoy whatever is released.

The right album being a modern rock record with tasteful guitar (with some craziness every once in a while), and smooth synth sounds with a great strong raspy/clean vocal from Axl, not overly produced or labored over.

There is no wrong or right album man. It's all in your head. Axl is an artist that makes the music he likes to make. That is his first priority.

Edited by Rovim