What's with all the abhorrence of So Fine?

Shotgun Blues is the worst of both worlds: shitty hook, shitty lyrics, vulgar, ugly, and right dab in the middle of the record. A real drag.

:no:

Get better taste.

I know, right? i think it's great, i really like all of it, the hook is great, it has a real, for want of sound desperately unimaginative in my description, really punk rock. Not even that so much, just frenetic. And it's just like...broken down to like...base emotion. The chorus is great, I can imagine it just working so well with some not-quite-in-sync backing vocals when done live, the chorus seems so crammed inthere, like he had to say it fast just to fit all the shit in.

Yeah it's vulgar, yeah its ugly, it's supposed to be, it's addressing an ugliness. Can you seriously tell me that the bit on the tail-end of the solo where it's raging through it and it comes back round to the riff and a voice goes 'C'MON!' before it kicks back into the main bit doesn't get your fuckin' heart pumpin'? It's weird, these were some of the early songs i got into with GnR.

You sure this isn't just more of your propensity for being a contrarian, lenny? :lol:

I actually like a great deal of Spaghetti Incident and I don't have a problem with the whole punk thing whatsoever. I don't oppose sweetness' idea that the band could have benefited from something more back-to-basics. But the over-production of the Illusions kind of undermines Shotgun Blues -- if they were going for the angle you claim they were, it shouldn't have been so squeaky-clean -- and the lyrics aren't just vulgar, I find them embarrassing. Broken down to base emotions? Come on, man, it's Axl telling a guy to suck his ass. I do like Garden of Eden and musically I do like Get in the Ring as well but as for Shotgun Blues, I just think it's pretty much the worst GN'R song -- on the Illusions records, at least. My World is worse but it's such an afterthought on the album that it's hard to hold much against it.

ER needs to get better taste because he doesn't like Shotgun Blues? Lol. What a fucking idiotic post.

Could be worse. I could be that guy who frequents a Guns N' Roses forum yet constantly acts like he's too cool to still listen to "dadrock" :jerkoff:

While I appreciate bacardi defending my stance I have always liked and respected you as a poster so we're all good as far as I'm concerned!

Shotgun Blues is the worst of both worlds: shitty hook, shitty lyrics, vulgar, ugly, and right dab in the middle of the record. A real drag.

:no:

Get better taste.

I know, right? i think it's great, i really like all of it, the hook is great, it has a real, for want of sound desperately unimaginative in my description, really punk rock. Not even that so much, just frenetic. And it's just like...broken down to like...base emotion. The chorus is great, I can imagine it just working so well with some not-quite-in-sync backing vocals when done live, the chorus seems so crammed inthere, like he had to say it fast just to fit all the shit in.

Yeah it's vulgar, yeah its ugly, it's supposed to be, it's addressing an ugliness. Can you seriously tell me that the bit on the tail-end of the solo where it's raging through it and it comes back round to the riff and a voice goes 'C'MON!' before it kicks back into the main bit doesn't get your fuckin' heart pumpin'? It's weird, these were some of the early songs i got into with GnR.

You sure this isn't just more of your propensity for being a contrarian, lenny? :lol:

I actually like a great deal of Spaghetti Incident and I don't have a problem with the whole punk thing whatsoever. I don't oppose sweetness' idea that the band could have benefited from something more back-to-basics. But the over-production of the Illusions kind of undermines Shotgun Blues -- if they were going for the angle you claim they were, it shouldn't have been so squeaky-clean -- and the lyrics aren't just vulgar, I find them embarrassing. Broken down to base emotions? Come on, man, it's Axl telling a guy to suck his ass. I do like Garden of Eden and musically I do like Get in the Ring as well but as for Shotgun Blues, I just think it's pretty much the worst GN'R song -- on the Illusions records, at least. My World is worse but it's such an afterthought on the album that it's hard to hold much against it.

ER needs to get better taste because he doesn't like Shotgun Blues? Lol. What a fucking idiotic post.

Could be worse. I could be that guy who frequents a Guns N' Roses forum yet constantly acts like he's too cool to still listen to "dadrock" :jerkoff:

While I appreciate bacardi defending my stance I have always liked and respected you as a poster so we're all good as far as I'm concerned!

Yeah no kidding man I figured you knew I wasn't trying to be hostile :lol:

The lyrics to Shotgun Blues are awful and probably among Axl's most immature, I like them though for the same reason I enjoy certain hip hop lyrics. They're anything BUT trying to be taken seriously, I think they're pretty funny.

I agree about the production too, but over the years I've sort of embraced UYI for all it is, I love both albums a ton way more now than I ever did when I first got into them.

I love how Nobody puts baby in a corner fans always think it's a "coolness" thing with anyone who doesn't like their music. I see it in an opposite manner, particularly with posers like you who do the whole long hair/stoner thing. Yeah, I'm the one trying to look cool. :rofl-lol:

As for frequenting a GNR forum, yeah. I love GNR. They're a pleasant breath of fresh air in a pretty stale category of music. I'm pretty sick of them at this point but I'll always have respect for them.

I love how Nobody puts baby in a corner fans always think it's a "coolness" thing with anyone who doesn't like their music. I see it in an opposite manner, particularly with posers like you who do the whole long hair/stoner thing. Yeah, I'm the one trying to look cool. :rofl-lol:

lol, where did you get that?

Look, I'm not interested in trading insults with you. I am concerned about our fellow forum members though, I'm afraid somebody might cut themselves on the edge of one of your posts.

Guest Len B'stard

You always say that to me man :lol: I think my affection probably has something to do with the age i heard it at, Shotgun Blues was my favorite song as a kid. That sounds ridiculous but...look, i got into GnR as a kid cuz they were the fuckin' bad kids on the block, my friend dumps this album UYI 2 on me and i'm going through all these songs thinkin', OK, this sounds good but where's the 'badness'? It was in Shotgun Blues (his sister dubbed the tape, she removed Get in the Ring thinkin' it'd be a bad influence, remember, we were 10 yr olds here, really little kids) and the songs that basically appealed to me were Shotgun Blues, Locomotive, 14 Years, Pretty Tied Up and You Could Be Mine. I don't mind admitting i pretty much skipped the ballads altogether, were it not for the videos of them coming out and me being desperate to see this band i listened to visually represented I probably would've taken a lot more time to get into them. But those songs, to me, I'll always have an enormous affection for, Shotgun, Loco, 14 Years, Pretty Tied and YCBM and like...sometimes when you get into something through unorthodox methods then you see something of their appeal from a different angle. Now i think about it my later affection for punk rock might've come from that, I'm trying to think what other raging fast guitar based song i listened to in my life before Shotgun Blues, i can't think of anything so it very well might be.

As far as good lyrics in general, i don't think Axl writes good lyrics generally speaking anyway so... :shrugs:

Edited by sugaraylen