Not to start a WAR

He's the only one who has stuck to his values and beliefs, Axl '86 is still Axl today.

Factually wrong.

Axl in 1991: "I'll tell you a little bit about the show. There might be a delay between... different songs 'cause, we just have this big fuckin' list and we pick which song we're gonna play next as we go... to see how it feels best with you. That way, we don't get bored, and you don't go: 'I saw that show in... Toledo!' Fuck that shit! Also, we'll be playing a lot of new stuff, you people have been waiting a really long time for the new album to come out, and it'd be kind of a really pussiest thing to do to just come up here and play Appetite For Destruction, it's kinda like jerking off."

Axl from 2001 to 2014: 1 album of original material since 1991. Playing Appetite from Destruction songs nonstop in every gig. Setlists are almost the same since the early 00s.

The lateness issue is crucial for a lot of people, casuals, in their dislike of Axl. I have been amongst casuals at concerts and you hear the grumbling, booing, lots of ''wanker'' when it gets to about 10pm and ginger has not turned up. I think the lateness is more important than the name issue (although Slash does cast a heavy shadow) or lack of new material (casuals only want the 'hits' anyhow). It hurts ordinary people directly you see, logistically, financially, and there is no satisfactory explanation for it except for the whims of a pampered egotistical rock star. Even the voice issue is not that important really as crowds tend to get carried away with the general, joie de vivre of the live spectacle that is a rock concert (the reason Axl sounds better live and worse on you tube: you are not truly objective when you are there yourself).

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

Because Axl is.... an easy target.

Let's review some of his failures....

-Always starts late.

-Cancels concerts over little things.

-Destroyed the original lineup, came back with the perfect lineup of experienced musicians, destroyed that lineup.

-Spent $14 million and took 14 years to release an album that was an overproduced failure to most of the public.

-Fought for the band name only to release one album

Here's the biggest one though...

-He never gets his side of the story out there. You know why the majority of the public take Slash's side? Because slash TOLD his side. We've heard little/nothing from Axl about the breakup of the old band. Slash does interviews all the time, in the history of the new band, axl has done what? 5?

I'm on Axl's side, I defend him a lot, however, it's clear that he's done all these stupid things that make people not like him.

• Like 2

Because Axl is.... an easy target.

Let's review some of his failures....

-Always starts late.

-Cancels concerts over little things.

-Destroyed the original lineup, came back with the perfect lineup of experienced musicians, destroyed that lineup.

-Spent $14 million and took 14 years to release an album that was an overproduced failure to most of the public.

-Fought for the band name only to release one album

Here's the biggest one though...

-He never gets his side of the story out there. You know why the majority of the public take Slash's side? Because slash TOLD his side. We've heard little/nothing from Axl about the breakup of the old band. Slash does interviews all the time, in the history of the new band, axl has done what? 5?

I'm on Axl's side, I defend him a lot, however, it's clear that he's done all these stupid things that make people not like him.

And yet if he had done everything right, and if we knew everything about him then nobody would care. Sometimes we hate Axl for all the reasons we love him.

But the amount of hate & ignorance shown towards Axl on almost every "facebook" post or aticle in the comments, is absouletly disgusting. Is their any reason why he stays away from social media and a recluse? Anyone else would of given up a long time ago. It makes me sad that no matter what he does that 90% of the media portray him in a bad light, the usual comments that follow are

"Axl's fat"

"Wheres slash"

"He cant sing"

"He ruined GNR"

"Axle axle axlle"

Why the fuck does it come across as no-one respects outside of the core fanbase ? No wonder he's heisitant to release new music.

#endrant

crybaby.png

BOOHOO PEOPLE ARE MEAN TO AXL BOOHOO!!

• Like 1

Duff talked about the exact same issue where he was hurt by comments made about him on a music website until he found out the poster was 14 years old and just acting out.

Its part of the job now, check what people say about Bono, Metallica, Beiber, GaGa, its RIVERS of hate all over the web. If you're the guy with the house on the hill, you're going to get it in the neck from the fuckers down on the road.

I don't think you need to get yourself too upset for poor millionaire Axl who barely works for a living and enjoys a life of enormous privilage.

Duff talked about the exact same issue where he was hurt by comments made about him on a music website until he found out the poster was 14 years old and just acting out.

Its part of the job now, check what people say about Bono, Metallica, Beiber, GaGa, its RIVERS of hate all over the web. If you're the guy with the house on the hill, you're going to get it in the neck from the fuckers down on the road.

I don't think you need to get yourself too upset for poor millionaire Axl who barely works for a living and enjoys a life of enormous privilage.

True.

And what's also important, when you're a famous person, you better be prepared to people having an opinion about you. And it's not going to be all nice things either. It goes for musicians, actors, politicians, royals, athletes, socialites and whoever else is somehow a public figure. No matter what you do, there will always be people who disagree with what you're doing or how you're doing it. Some of those opinions are very valid and objective, others just plain spiteful. But they're all there, and it's in people's nature to voice them. To discuss it with others. And the more controversial the subject (I'd say GnR is a pretty controversial band in many ways) there more it will be discussed.

Especially these days, with the internet and all. Since the digital revolution opinions (good and bad) are both easier to put out there and reach a large audience. They're more accessible to others. It's a simple fact and there is nothing anybody can do about it.

This is why threads like this one sort of piss me off. They're pointless. It's not that complicated to work out why they will never work. And, as harsh as this may seem, people will just have to learn to deal with it. I'm not saying some of the things people put on the internet aren't extremely hateful and indecent. But they're there and whining about how hard it must be for Axl won't change that. It's just the way it works.

• Like 1

Because the internet makes people bold and cruel. I'd wager that the majority of people who make nasty and superficial comments about Axl, or any other celebrity, would never dare to do it in person - but since they're anonymous and safely hidden behind a computer, it's open war, they feel big and bad, and they get their jollies by saying stupid things about people they don't even know.

And keep in mind that I don't think it's wrong to be critical or to express varying viewpoints, and I'm not talking about those folks - I'm talking about the ones who have fun being openly nasty.

The thing is, it happens to every celebrity and a lot of non-celebs too - there's some five year old Disney actress who's been getting death threats lately. This isn't just an Axl thing. Go on any YouTube video or Facebook page and you will see tons of trolling comments. I've heard celebrities say they never Google themselves and they disable comments on their videos, and that's probably smart for their own sanity.

Agree with this, there is no accountability nor consequences for most of the faceless anonymous crowd that delights in talking smack about people they don't know, and situations they aren't aware of.

If people had to provide positive identification to post on message boards or leave comments on various sites, then the picture would change, and the internet wouldn't be nearly as popular among certain age brackets and socioeconomic groups.

Why defend yourself against anonymous commentary? The user may be some 14 year old with an attitude by proxy.

But the amount of hate & ignorance shown towards Axl on almost every "facebook" post or aticle in the comments, is absouletly disgusting. Is their any reason why he stays away from social media and a recluse? Anyone else would of given up a long time ago. It makes me sad that no matter what he does that 90% of the media portray him in a bad light, the usual comments that follow are

"Axl's fat"

"Wheres slash"

"He cant sing"

"He ruined GNR"

"Axle axle axlle"

Why the fuck does it come across as no-one respects outside of the core fanbase ? No wonder he's heisitant to release new music.

#endrant

I wish Axl would be on the cover of Rolling Stone (huge interview) or maybe the Playboy Interview (usually very huge detailed interviews) and a couple of more TV stuff like Jay Leno, Letterman, or even 60 Minutes because it's more serious - maybe a Kurt Loder style interview. I would love to see the regular people around the world knowing facts only hardcore fans know. But then again, it's Axl's choice. And in the end a lie that has been told a million times becomes the truth (reason why people believe in all these horrible topics you worte down as examples). But on the long run I think justice will be made - not 100% the way we want, but hopefully it will.

Anyway worse than regular people trashing Axl and the band is to watch FANS trashing the band. This is something I can't understand. If you're not happy, leave. It's so simple. I'm not a Slash fan since he was out. So I have no idea what this guy does these days, I don't get into his personal shit online, I have no clue if he's got a Facebook or Twitter. I just unfollow his life in general. So to the ones who don't agree with the line up, who believe Axl doesn't sing well these days, etc... don't waste your time, leave instead of doing this negative masturbation online against the one who, once upon a time, gave ya joy and happiness - well, I still have a lot of joy and happiness with Guns ! Thanks Axl !

• Like 1

His reputation for late starts and the name-stealing (fabricated as it may be) killed him with the general public. People who aren't hardcore fans are going to be pissed about the "fake" band, people who are are going to be pissed about the lack of music or information about music. People who are pissed at someone, or just dislike them sometimes call them names. It's just the way it is.

The funny thing is, a lot of those same people never liked GnR to begin with. They will now say that GnR is nothing without Slash, but called him Page-wannabe years ago. Seen a lot of that over the years. Internet is full of retards no matter where you are.

The hate comes from famous diva stories, countless late starts or walk offs (some for god reasons, others he just wasn't "feeling it"), not releasing music, the bad press he received after the original guns went down... mainly down to Slash on that one. He get's a lot of flac because he leaves himself open to it, there's truth to a lot of what's said about Axl but there's also some things like the 'how he got the name' story that people still believe he ransomed the old band for it, he's a villain in the same way as Lars is for metallica after napster.

When you let the press make the stories about you, they choose how you get portrayed, if he went out just a little bit more and did a few more public events and interviews people would slowly see that he isn't actually as bad as they originally thought.

Now! Axl is overweight and his voice has deteriorated over the last 3 years, there's no argument there. A vocal coach and losing a stone would take a lot of heat off him and take a whole load of ammunition away from the "haters". If you insist on touring a lot and not releasing a a lot of material you're live product has to be top calibre almost every night (have to allow for disaster nights, we're dealing with humans here) that's just the way it is, people today pay upwards of €70 to see a band and they expect that band to play their balls off, guitars ripping, drums pounding and the vocals on point.

Edited by Tom2112

"Axl's fat"

"Wheres slash"

"He cant sing"

"He ruined GNR"

"Axle axle axlle"

#endrant

I wish Axl would be on the cover of Rolling Stone (huge interview) or maybe the Playboy Interview (usually very huge detailed interviews) and a couple of more TV stuff like Jay Leno, Letterman, or even 60 Minutes because it's more serious - maybe a Kurt Loder style interview. I would love to see the regular people around the world knowing facts only hardcore fans know. But then again, it's Axl's choice. And in the end a lie that has been told a million times becomes the truth (reason why people believe in all these horrible topics you worte down as examples). But on the long run I think justice will be made - not 100% the way we want, but hopefully it will.Anyway worse than regular people trashing Axl and the band is to watch FANS trashing the band. This is something I can't understand. If you're not happy, leave. It's so simple. I'm not a Slash fan since he was out. So I have no idea what this guy does these days, I don't get into his personal shit online, I have no clue if he's got a Facebook or Twitter. I just unfollow his life in general. So to the ones who don't agree with the line up, who believe Axl doesn't sing well these days, etc... don't waste your time, leave instead of doing this negative masturbation online against the one who, once upon a time, gave ya joy and happiness - well, I still have a lot of joy and happiness with Guns ! Thanks Axl !

Good post-

I particularly like the term "negative masturbation".

Because the internet makes people bold and cruel. I'd wager that the majority of people who make nasty and superficial comments about Axl, or any other celebrity, would never dare to do it in person - but since they're anonymous and safely hidden behind a computer, it's open war, they feel big and bad, and they get their jollies by saying stupid things about people they don't even know.

And keep in mind that I don't think it's wrong to be critical or to express varying viewpoints, and I'm not talking about those folks - I'm talking about the ones who have fun being openly nasty.

The thing is, it happens to every celebrity and a lot of non-celebs too - there's some five year old Disney actress who's been getting death threats lately. This isn't just an Axl thing. Go on any YouTube video or Facebook page and you will see tons of trolling comments. I've heard celebrities say they never Google themselves and they disable comments on their videos, and that's probably smart for their own sanity.

Agree with this, there is no accountability nor consequences for most of the faceless anonymous crowd that delights in talking smack about people they don't know, and situations they aren't aware of.

If people had to provide positive identification to post on message boards or leave comments on various sites, then the picture would change, and the internet wouldn't be nearly as popular among certain age brackets and socioeconomic groups.

Why defend yourself against anonymous commentary? The user may be some 14 year old with an attitude by proxy.

Maybe just maybe forums should start asking for real identification in order to be a part of it. When I'm in a hotel among other fans, everyone respects and loves the band. I'm so sure many people I've met out there are the same ones who write shit online but doesn't have the guts to do the same in person.

I'm so pro giving positive identification. Maybe this should be the answer in order to have the good old forums from the past back. But owners of forums and moderators wouldn't be interested to have less people around and haters and those who love to be anonymous would be out so ... no, it won't happen.

"Axl's fat"

"Wheres slash"

"He cant sing"

"He ruined GNR"

"Axle axle axlle"

#endrant

I wish Axl would be on the cover of Rolling Stone (huge interview) or maybe the Playboy Interview (usually very huge detailed interviews) and a couple of more TV stuff like Jay Leno, Letterman, or even 60 Minutes because it's more serious - maybe a Kurt Loder style interview. I would love to see the regular people around the world knowing facts only hardcore fans know. But then again, it's Axl's choice. And in the end a lie that has been told a million times becomes the truth (reason why people believe in all these horrible topics you worte down as examples). But on the long run I think justice will be made - not 100% the way we want, but hopefully it will.Anyway worse than regular people trashing Axl and the band is to watch FANS trashing the band. This is something I can't understand. If you're not happy, leave. It's so simple. I'm not a Slash fan since he was out. So I have no idea what this guy does these days, I don't get into his personal shit online, I have no clue if he's got a Facebook or Twitter. I just unfollow his life in general. So to the ones who don't agree with the line up, who believe Axl doesn't sing well these days, etc... don't waste your time, leave instead of doing this negative masturbation online against the one who, once upon a time, gave ya joy and happiness - well, I still have a lot of joy and happiness with Guns ! Thanks Axl !

Good post-

Thanks, gonna write a song with this title so you can be in the video.

"Axl's fat"

"Wheres slash"

"He cant sing"

"He ruined GNR"

"Axle axle axlle"

#endrant

Couple of big reasons:

its no secret that the millineal generation bear a tremndous amount of disdain for the 80's and its music. Axl is seen as a relic of that era. How many here on this forum refer to the 80's as the era of CockRock?

When was the last time GNR lead the pack? 1991-93.

Had Axl having successfully commandeered the GNR name and in turn come out in 97-2001 with a huge sound, new band and promoted the living hell out of both his new band and his new music then he might have enjoyed a continuence of his fame and fortune at some going premium . Instead his image and his percieved confusion as to how to successessfully carry on the juggernaut of GNR..just tumbled down from there. When the perception became that Axl was actually a singer in a Tribute band to GNR.. .that should have been his cue to retool his approach. So he becomes a parody of his own creation ..AXL doing an Impersonation of Axl Rose.

The media black out and the long long as wait for Chinese Democracy did absolutely no favors to his antisocial cocky public perception. If anything it comes across just like it does today at this very moment.. Axl just dont give a shit about his ownership of GNR and his very own legacy as a showman/entertainer/artitist... so he opens himself up as a target for disdain, ridicule and mockery.

But the shot between the eyes; Chinese Democracy itself..it simply didnt capture the publics imagination or its approval. The songs are appealing to only a handful of the faithful. One would reasonably think that given the level of talent and the amount of resources dedicated to the album that it should have shot to the top and stay there. It proved that talent and resources does not nessessarily make a formula for mass appreciation and mass appeal.

Even those that casually paid attention and kinda sorta knew GNR was still alive arrived at time where they just didnt give a shit... other 80's bands where trying desperately to keep in the game and unfortunately GNR fell in with that perception.

For instance during the long wait I saw : Ratt, Warrant Quiet Riot, Poison and Bullet Boys, Great White and LA Guns in fucking dive bars/clubs and county fairs..with NONE of those bands having their legacy lineups intact... Even Motley Crue.. without Tommy Lee.. and once without Vince Neil on vocals... and it just didnt jive.. it was as if they so desperate to hold on that they lost sight of why they were who they were.

But Axl for all he is and more importantly is not... pissed off a huge segment of his public by what most people pecieve (rightly or completely mistaken) by taking GNR to next to no where. His ongoing CD/greatest hits tour..no new music.. his black out of pushing the band to the spotlight.. the snipes and the gripes with the old band. His playing and relying on OLD MATERIAL ---CD now included just makes people gravitate to total write off. THe 80's and 90's are over and he simply hasnt contributed anything new to the conversation.

Jim Morrison of the Doors nailed it though when he said "they want my death" We want the Axl that is dangerous, pissed off and ranting and raving against the powers that be. We want that temper and that defiance ,, we want that primal scream and his expression...A gentleman middle aged millionaire rock star just is to confusing to accept. Its a question of expectations -vs- reality that makes Axl a target , simply put its a question of being disappointed that GNR has become what it is... you can make up your own conclusions ..I have mine.

• Like 1

Maybe just maybe forums should start asking for real identification in order to be a part of it. When I'm in a hotel among other fans, everyone respects and loves the band. I'm so sure many people I've met out there are the same ones who write shit online but doesn't have the guts to do the same in person.

I'm so pro giving positive identification. Maybe this should be the answer in order to have the good old forums from the past back. But owners of forums and moderators wouldn't be interested to have less people around and haters and those who love to be anonymous would be out so ... no, it won't happen

Good observation! I agree.

"Axl's fat"

"Wheres slash"

"He cant sing"

"He ruined GNR"

"Axle axle axlle"

#endrant

Good post-

Thanks, gonna write a song with this title so you can be in the video.

Can't wait! :D

• Like 1