Axl Rose : The greatest front man of all time

No, Axl is the greatest front man in history. If you think Steven Tyler is the greatest front man in history, you're an idiot.

Why is that? Just a devoted Aerosmith/Steven Tyler fan.

He's taking the piss (see his earlier comment).

I'm not the biggest Aerosmith fan, but it's amazing how Tyler has held up over the years. Those videos of him performing with Slash at Howard Stern's bday bash were seriously impressive.

• Like 1

That's the kind of fanboy comment that results in endless bickering and arguing.

If me, making such a statement like, "I believe Axl Rose is the greatest frontman of all time" makes me a fanboy, then so be it & I have no shame. That statement is my honest-to-God belief and opinion. He's my favorite singer in my favorite band, then & now. Honestly sorry if it bothers anyone, but he's never done any wrong in my eyes.

It doesn't bother me, at all. It's just that I love Internet forums and I have to say that more often that not these endless arguments begin with someone saying: X is the greatest Y in history. Thereupon, someone says: No, Z is the greatest Y in history. If you actually think X is the greatest Y in history, you're an idiot. Then, hilarity ensues.

I suggest you try it. For instance, go to a Star Trek forum and say: J.J Abrams' Into Darkness is the greatest Star Trek movie ever, then sit down and enjoy the show.

Michael_Jackson_popcorn.gif

:awesomeface:

haha that scenario actually reminds me of the time I went to a Metallica forum shortly after Death Magnetic was released and I was like, "Meh. Sounds like Load..." hahaha.

:lol:

EDIT: The Internet wouldn't be as much fun if there weren't angry keyboard warriors like fanboys ready to defend their tastes.

Edited by TombRaider

No, Axl is the greatest front man in history. If you think Steven Tyler is the greatest front man in history, you're an idiot.

Why is that? Just a devoted Aerosmith/Steven Tyler fan.

He's taking the piss (see his earlier comment).

I'm not the biggest Aerosmith fan, but it's amazing how Tyler has held up over the years. Those videos of him performing with Slash at Howard Stern's bday bash were seriously impressive.

I enjoyed watching their performance too.

Steven is awesome.

Axl seems to see saw though, doesn't he?

There were concerns about his voice (and weight) when he came back to live shows at the start of the 00s...then when we saw him again in 06 he was back to fine form-then 09 he's back to "fat" and then recently he was "fat and cant sing"...

I wouldn't be surprised if he came out lean and in great voice this time...well actually I might be but it isn't unprecedented and definitive statements like "he cant sing anymore" have been levelled at the dude since the UYI tours...

Guest Len B'stard

The greatest frontman of all time is Mick Jagger, one of the top selling, literally created the fucking archetype, he's still going too, bigger and badder than all of his competition, he was the biggest wrong un out of em all too, arch-fucking shagger and drug taker and troublemaker, considered a seriously fucked up influence on society in his time, evoked the best most hardcore responses from his audience and he's better and more energetic now pushing 70 than 99.9% of his counterparts, there really is no competing with Mick on the frontman stakes, not even close, doesn't even bear assessment.

Mick dwarfs any and every other challenger for this title if we're talking specifically about the frontman thing. Also, Mick can actually dance, which is more than can be said for a lot of these other frontman that though can dance just go through their little routine of things that, you get the feeling, they just invented.

I've never really seen Axl work a crowd, as good as he was, i've never seen the crowd in the palm of his hand in the way i have with Mick, in the way where he can bring an entire arena to a hush...then BANG! It's masterful. ANd like many a good thing, most of it comes from James Brown.

Edited by sugaraylen

Axl is an awesome performer, but best frontman of all time..? No chance, take your pick from Freddie Mercury, Mick Jagger,Robert Plant. Bruce Springsteen, Alice Cooper etc etc. Hardcore fans will argue this, but reality is that Axl blew this chance with his strops, cancelling gigs, dissapearing for years etc etc

Guest Len B'stard

Axl doesn't have enough respect or regard for the audience to be a great frontman or rather the greatest frontman. End of the day, a frontmans effectiveness is reflected in audience response. Out of all the aforementioned, who do you think has left audiences a little annoyed more than entertained, out of say Axl, Mick, Plant, Mercury? I'm willing to guarantee its Axl. It's all well and good having an amazing voice and looking good and being able to move good but part of being a professional and leaving audiences satisfied, which Axl has failed to do on many an occasion, what with riots and all this shit.

Mick can still work a crowd, and Axl admits he feels a bit silly dancing about when he's not singing, but the reason Axl gets top frontman for me is sheer passion and that insane intensity. Never seen any other performer get that into their music.

3:55:

Edited by Amir

Axl is a great live entertainer still, he can also have great shows vocally when the stars align. Back in the day he was truly great, unhinged and just all about going for it, today as he says it's a bit more restrained and keeping within the realms of what he can and can't do.

For me Axl is definitely in the top 10 greatest rock frontmen. I'm not sure if I could give him number one but he definitely breaks the top 10.

Freddie, Tyler, Plant, Axl, Lynott, B. Johnson, Tom Petty, Springsteen, Hetfield, Bono

Personally, I'd take 88-93 Axl over anyone ever.

This Axl is tops over most anyone. I'd put Axl in his prime ('89-'93) up against anyone else in their prime. Dickinson would be a very close 2nd. Axl just sang with so much anger & passion and he literally gave 100% night after night. He never mailed it in. Edited by Snowmass

Never seen any other performer get that into their music.

Ever heard of Iggy Pop? Little Richard?

Yup, and I still rate Axl above them. It's that thousand-yard stare thing he gets going on, not just the screams.

Guest Len B'stard

Gotta disagree with you both there, Iggy is 10 times the frontman Axl was, he's 60 something now and still as energetic as even a young Axl, the stuff Iggy has done on stage in the way of making a show just fuckin' beggars belief, you can't seriously compare someone like Axl to Iggy, not on any day of the week, Axl doesn't have the nerve or the guts to be a frontman like Ig'.

I mean you guys go on about passion and intensity...all goes for a toss when someone chucks a bottle or something, doesn't it? Iggy fuckin' just tears through music, THATS passion, when people are pelting you with shit and you're egging them on and whirling like a dervish and dancing in this totally fuckin' deranged free and easy 8 yr old going mental way, when you roar your fuckin' lungs and perform with no regard for your personal safety or anything, when you're just trapped in the fucking music and possessed by it, THAT to me communicates passion, not Axl going through a bunch of set rote dance routines that he's been doing since forever, it's hard to convey passion through something so heavily designed and coregraphed looking.

Ig', today, as an older man than Axl, would blow him off any stage in the world...and a young Iggy? Fuckin' forget about it, Axl ain't worthy of mention in the same sentence.

When I compare things like "Greatest of all time" at this or that, I always think of the person in their prime. When people talk "Greatest of all time" in any other industry, they always compare stats based on the person in their prime.

So for me, Axl Rose is easily the greatest front man of all time.

Guest Len B'stard

When I compare things like "Greatest of all time" at this or that, I always think of the person in their prime.

Which is sort of a cop out, isn't it? Limiting the parameters to accomodate for a serious drop off in whatever period.

When I compare things like "Greatest of all time" at this or that, I always think of the person in their prime.

Which is sort of a cop out, isn't it? Limiting the parameters to accomodate for a serious drop off in whatever period.

Considering the rest of my post, I don't think it's a cop out. Like I said, people do the same thing when it comes to sports and what not.

Iggy is 10 times the frontman Axl was

To you.

I can't think of the last time Iggy crossed my mind. Axl is the only frontman that occupies my thoughts on a semi-regular basis. Therefore I'm naturally going to regard Axl as the greatest.

Guest Len B'stard

Considering the rest of my post, I don't think it's a cop out. Like I said, people do the same thing when it comes to sports and what not.

I do, i think it's an awful cop out, it's like judging a boxer only on his victories. 'He was great for 6 years', yeah, what about the other 30? :lol:

To you.

I can't think of the last time Iggy crossed my mind. Axl is the only frontman that occupies my thoughts on a semi-regular basis. Therefore I'm naturally going to regard Axl as the greatest.

With respect fella, i don't think crossing your mind is really the standard upon which these things are judged on. The proof is in the pudding though.

And in terms of Jagger, fuck me, to even suggest that Axl is comparable is slightly ridiculous.

Edited by sugaraylen

I do, i think it's an awful cop out, it's like judging a boxer only on his victories.

No, to me it's like judging a boxer based on when he was in his prime. We see it differently obviously.