If a reunion happened would that change how you feel about Axl/Slash?

I don't think either would change even for a reunion.

It's a tough call. One part says they have to make amends at some point. Another part says they are done, this thing they got going on cuts deep and might be past repair.

GNR are more successful because velvet revolver were never a headlining band. They played a few arenas if they were lucky but mainly theatre shows. So finacially GNR were more successful. Chinese also sold more than contraband and the follow up album flopped.

Im annoyed because in 2003 slash created his own GNR. What did slash leave GNR to do? Nothing (96-03).

I admire slash for burying VR and his new band is better. I wish Axl could be half as social as slash and I admire slashs desire to release music.

As a slash fan I am happy, but dissapointed that he left GNR to make music of a lower quality. As a guitar player he has matured greatly, but songs are mediocre.

You say you're a Slash fan and then say he did nothing from '96-'03? OK. Hey, you know what Axl did during that same time period? Got himself arrested for having a pussy fit in an airport.

And it's your opinion he's made lower quality music since he left GNR, just like it's my opinion Axl has done the same. I'd put Street Child, Slither and Fall To Pieces on par with anything classic Guns, and over everything in nuGuns.

So why did slash leave? You signatures quotes slash why he left, but the truth is Axl has played the bigger stages and have the bigger touring contracts - they would have been even bigger with slash in GNR. Slash couldn't deal with Axl and left because he thought he was better than that. Guns N' Roses fans suffered. Slash never cared about that.

You may like slashs' solo on street child, Slither and Fall to pieces, all of which came out in 2003. Were those songs REALLY worth waiting 7 years after quitting GNR? would you trade those songs to have slash make more albums with GNR during that period? Maybe you would but personal I could sacrifice those songs. Slash on Chinese democracy would have been phenomenal, and it would have been released far sooner.

I look at like they're grown men. If they don't want to ever get over it and never speak to each other again until they die, that's their business. If they can bury the hatchet at some some time, that would be great too. Either way I will still listen to their shit and like both of them.

Pardon the stupidity, but what is Slash's straight up, public reason for having left the band? Has he detailed it?

in public his answer kind of shifts, as time passes his attitude towards Axl is softer. He claims everything he has to say about GNR is in his book which details two key points. One was the overdubbing On sympathy for the devil, and the second a meeting in 1996 where Axl wanted slash to sign a contract where Slash would essentially become an employ of Guns N Roses. Axl insisted his role and significance wouldn't change at all but Slash had a problem with being considered an employee.

That's all from recollection, I could be mistaken so have mercy fact checkers.

• Like 1

If Axl was saying employee or nothing, can't really blame Slash for leaving, can you? Only question was how hard he tried to resolve things before bailing.

I don't think Axl viewed it as an ultimatum, I don't think he ever imagined Slash not being okay with it.

If Axl was saying employee or nothing, can't really blame Slash for leaving, can you? Only question was how hard he tried to resolve things before bailing.

I don't think Axl viewed it as an ultimatum, I don't think he ever imagined Slash not being okay with it.

So that's the big question for me, then. How did this employee thing go down? Thy Sympathy for the Devil thing is a shit move on Axl's part, but that's a fight to be had and gotten over.

I remember I read somewhere that up until 2006 there was a chance of Slash working with Axl again. I'm not sure if that meant Slash rejoining Guns or only guest spots. :shrugs:

I think between the lies in his book and the lawsuits trying to keep CD from being released were the last straws.

Which lawsuit trying to keep CD from being released?

• Like 1

Pardon the stupidity, but what is Slash's straight up, public reason for having left the band? Has he detailed it?

In the epilogue of his book, Slash lists three reasons:

1. Axl's constant lateness to shows and his overall lateness and slowness.

2. Axl demanding that Slash sign a contract which, in essence, would make Slash an employee of Axl.

3. With Steven and Izzy both gone, it wasn't really GNR in Slash's mind anymore.

That's what he writes in the book, crystal clear.

Ugh, Chinese Democracy didn't fail. I was referring to one the many reasons of the delay.

Since you clearly have a copy of the lawsuit on your desk, could you scan it and upload it here?

Or better yet, can you put your buddy Axl on the phone and have him tell us what he told you? You know, the stuff about Slash filing a lawsuit to prevent Chinese from being released.

2. Axl demanding that Slash sign a contract which, in essence, would make Slash an employee of Axl.

3. With Steven and Izzy both gone, it wasn't really GNR in Slash's mind anymore.

I can see the first 2 reasons being legit, but the 3rd one doesn't hold up so well to me. He talked quite a bit of shit about Izzy after they replaced him with Gilby. Not saying they haven't made up since, but I don't see it as a contributing factor at the time.

I think a big part of it was that Slash thought he could do pretty well on his own without the GNR name as well, think Marc said something to that effect.

There's also the musical direction thing; Slash, Duff, and Axl all agree that Slash essentially wanted It's Five O'Clock Somewhere to be the basis for a new GNR album. Axl probably didn't have CD in mind at the time, but he didn't see IFOS as GNR-worthy material (which I'd agree with), at least not without working on it a bit.

• Like 1

I think a big part of it was that Slash thought he could do pretty well on his own without the GNR name as well, think Marc said something to that effect.

This always blows my mind on this forum. Here we have Slash's exact words (or at Canter Banter, we get Marc's exact words), and some people still insist that Slash or Marc is wrong and then the poster offers up what REALLY happened.

You weren't there. I wasn't there. Slash was there, Marc was there, and it's far more likely that they know what really happened than we do.

Exactly. That's why I was referring to something Marc said about Slash getting a bit bigheaded at the time and thinking he could make it on his own. Just saying we shouldn't take Slash, or anybody else's word as gospel, best to take different sources and see what seems most logical.

1&3 are just pandering the public/majority opinion. He stayed in the band for three years after the touring/late starts, and five years after both Izzy & Steve were gone.

As for 2, nothing about this is clear. Did this really happen in late 96? Wasn't the contract first addressed a year earlier when Axl "left" the band? Here are two different stories Slash gave of when he left the band:

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slash-i-was-suicidal-when-i-left-guns-n-roses/

Both apparently took "24 hours" but couldn't have happened in the same year.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

GNR are more successful because velvet revolver were never a headlining band. They played a few arenas if they were lucky but mainly theatre shows. So finacially GNR were more successful. Chinese also sold more than contraband and the follow up album flopped.

Im annoyed because in 2003 slash created his own GNR. What did slash leave GNR to do? Nothing (96-03).

I admire slash for burying VR and his new band is better. I wish Axl could be half as social as slash and I admire slashs desire to release music.

As a slash fan I am happy, but dissapointed that he left GNR to make music of a lower quality. As a guitar player he has matured greatly, but songs are mediocre.

You say you're a Slash fan and then say he did nothing from '96-'03? OK. Hey, you know what Axl did during that same time period? Got himself arrested for having a pussy fit in an airport.

And it's your opinion he's made lower quality music since he left GNR, just like it's my opinion Axl has done the same. I'd put Street Child, Slither and Fall To Pieces on par with anything classic Guns, and over everything in nuGuns.

So why did slash leave? You signatures quotes slash why he left, but the truth is Axl has played the bigger stages and have the bigger touring contracts - they would have been even bigger with slash in GNR. Slash couldn't deal with Axl and left because he thought he was better than that. Guns N' Roses fans suffered. Slash never cared about that.

You may like slashs' solo on street child, Slither and Fall to pieces, all of which came out in 2003. Were those songs REALLY worth waiting 7 years after quitting GNR? would you trade those songs to have slash make more albums with GNR during that period? Maybe you would but personal I could sacrifice those songs. Slash on Chinese democracy would have been phenomenal, and it would have been released far sooner.

Ohh, come on! I know I'm not talking to some idiot here who doesn't know the history of the band. You know, and choose to ignore.

So you think Slash should have stayed, he should have been okay with being delegated as an Axl employee in the very band he was a major part of making one of the biggest in the world, he should have sat around for years and waited for Axl to get off his ass and finally do something. Let's not give him any credit for sticking around for 3 years, no. Let's rewrite history and pretend he just up and left poor Axl, without even giving it a try.

And what exactly did Guns do in all that time he wasted waited? When they finally got together for Sympathy For The Devil , besides the whole getting smacked in the balls with the whole Paul Huge bullshit, I remember a candid interview where he talked about how Axl didn't speak to him or even look at him, not once, while they were working on the song. It got to the point where Slash thought about going home and putting a gun to his head.

But oh yeah, what a selfish fuck he was....

Slash's choice was to make music and tour, while Axl's choice was to hibernate and stroke magic crystals. I'm not sure why you think Slash's only goal was to play bigger venues. He seemed quite content playing clubs with Blue Balls and opening for AC/DC with Snakepit. He was fine with making guest appearances on other people albums and collaborating with numerous artists. He wanted to work while Axl chose not to, and that is in no way Slash's fault. He was doing what he loved, and I disagree, the fans didn't suffer. I LOVE 5 O'clock and Ain't Life Grand, and his fans got to see and hear Slash play while fans of Axl wondered if the guy was even still alive.

• Like 2

P4A.....great post.

It is interesting how a couple guys on here have tried to rewrite history, or how they slant EVERYTHING to make Axl look good or like the victim, and to make Slash look bad or like the evil guy.

If Axl had wanted GnR to continue with Slash, Duff and Izzy......then that band would have continued. End of story.

Izzy quit the morning after an Axl blowup at a concert. He was uncomfortable around Slash/Matt/Duff's partying lifestyle and he was fed up with Axl's primma donna act, which included showing up late, starting shows hours late, and acting like a complete douche backstage. Funny how the Axl die-hards never really talk much about Axl's BEST FRIEND quitting the band.

Slash/Duff/Matt stuck around through Axl's dictatorship and lead-singer-disease (and the no-shows for concerts, the three-hour late starts, the backstage daily theme parties ran by Axl's relatives - all things that took money out of their pockets and made the entire band look like complete assholes) for various amounts of time. But when Axl then tried to make them paid employees instead of equal members of the band......that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Were Slash and Duff high or drunk a lot of the time? Yes. Did this have a negative effect on Axl? Sure did.

But how many shows were cancelled because of it?

How many shows were started late - hours late - because of it?

How many album delays were caused by it?

The answer would be zero.

Now ask yourself those same three questions, but with Axl's name in the question.

Slash/Duff might have been druggies and drunks, but they were still in the studio every day writing/recording and they showed up - on time - and played every show. Things Axl didn't do.

I think that Axl was the key member of the original Guns n Roses. The MVP. The person who pushed them from being a great band to one of the greatest rock bands of all time.

I love CD 10,000 times more than I like all of the other guy's material combined. Thought Loaded and VR were boring as hell.

I'd go see an Axl solo show before I'd watch a show featuring slash/duff/izzy/matt or steven, and some random good singer.

But these people who act like Axl is an angel, Slash/Duff are the devils, and that Slash is the reason the old band broke up and - smh - are blaming Slash for the delay of CD and for how Axl's version of GnR has now turned out..........I just don't get it. It's like logic, fact and common sense go out the window just because we are talking about Axl Rose. These people really do believe that the entire world is "out to get" Axl.