It's better to burn out than fade away....

I think Axl has done both-

Axl burned out (1993 end of UYI tour until 2000ish when he seemingly disappeared for years)

And now he's just fading away (Vegas, bowling alleys, half empty arenas, same sets....bunch of "jams", 1 album in 20 years, voice going, looks gone....etc...) It really is sad what's become of W. Axl Rose. And he/Guns were destined to go down in history as one of the top all time bands. Like the other thread though- Axl was (in my book) The Greatest Frontman around!

This thread is stupid.

First off, Axl's classic period will always stand on its own. In the end, he's basically immune from ever being viewed generally as having "faded away". People will always refer back to Axl's classic period and know how awesome it was.

Secondly, there is a huge difference between going to a show and watching one on YouTube. I saw GNR in 2002, 2006, and 2011. 2011 was by far the best show. If I would have taken the internet or this forum seriously, I wouldn't have gone to this show. So all I can say is that recent Axl doesn't translate as well on YouTube, and that's just a fact.

All the shows I went to were either sold out or 85% full at a minimum.

Thirdly, Axl still has "it". How devastating it is when a great singer loses their range. Look at Robert Plant for example or others who are permanently different. Axl still can do it and whether he does it is more about his mood than his ability to do it.

And Axl can and usually does reinvent himself. I still think we have yet to see the best from him.

Another thing, I missed the classic era and never got to see a show. For people like myself, it's a hell of a lot better to have Axl doing something then not having anything available at all.

This poster Alterreality on Gunsnfnroses has hit the nail on the head why things have happened way they did. It seems obvious when you read it but it was like a lightbulb moment for me. When you look back at it in 80s and 90s Axl was reclusive then and only did occasional interviews same as now. It was Slash, Duff who kept the band in public eye, did interviews, after awards presss onnferences, picked up awards at ceremonies for the band. Axl with the way he is needed these guys to do the promo . When they went there was no one who to fill that role sadly and his flaws in this area have been highlighted as a result the last 20 years. Axl's never been media fan friendly. He needs personalities like Slash and Duff who are able to do that side of things. It's sad and explains nearly everything that hapened. He needed these guys to push him to do things. I know it's prob been said before but it's a good post nonetheless form this poster!

Slash in GNR was as much liked and recognized by the public as Axl and at the same time he was on the same level of authority in the band as Axl. He was a person Axl trusted with everything that had to do with band business. So Axl could stay elusive, hidden, unpredictable, whatever, whatever and still the promotion, the press, all the necessary shit that kept it rolling was being done. Anything that was happening was being explained. Axl was being costantly explained and excused for.

Slash definitely kept it all going. Axl is not able to handle the pressure and the obligations related to running a band alone. He had Slash to help him and more than often to do it for him.

Also Slash pushed him. Slash forced him to record, to tour and so on. Maybe that caused many arguments but it also caused some albums and some tours to happen. Axl, on his own, is likely to find excuses not to do things or to do them in an unforseable future. With Slash, if he didn't want to lose him he had to do it and he did it.

Edited by Janis
  • Like 1

As a fan, I just wish he'd release music more often.

Even though he has moved into cruise control and is just padding the bank account now, I still think he could release some pretty quality music that his fan base would enjoy.

Easy'er said than done. I get the impression Axl finds it difficult making music. His process appears to involve mulling over things for long periods of time, in hope, given time, enough parts of the puzzle fall into place. It's like he searches for something he is none too sure of, until it arrives, such is the creative process.

Axl doesn't care.

He just likes traveling the world, play a couple gigs, make some money, eventually disappear.

Sadly I have to agree.

I get the impression Axl is so out of touch, he really doesn't know how far out the loop he and his band have become, not that the new GN'R ever were.. At a guess, and this is only a guess, when Axl takes to the stage and see's a bunch of people waiting to see him, then all must be well (in his mind), and he need do no more..

Be honest, Axl and his current band will never equal the GN'R hey-day..

Edited by star

Yeah it's great to say that when you're 20 years old, but you notice most of those bands that felt that way are still around performing.

I remember the Who singing " I hope I die before I get old" and okay, two are dead, but Roger and Peter are still around and in their 70's now.

I think it's better to make amazing music and even if you die or retire, your music will live on and make new fans with each passing year.

Amazing line from Neil young's song hey hey my my and the last words in kurt cobains suïcide note. All we can hope is that axl stands above this all and next month proove everyone wrong and that is heydays arent over jet. Fingers crossed. But he Will forever and Always be the greatest frontman ever set foto on this planet

half empty arenas are in the US only, simply because he plays there year after year, after year.

...does he though? Was this a joke? Maybe a date here or residency there but full scale tour, multiple shows year after year? Really?

GNR have played America 10,11,12,13 and now 14. Usually the same places, they are never away from new York and Vegas. Might not play a full tour but the same places mainly.

half empty arenas are in the US only, simply because he plays there year after year, after year.

...does he though? Was this a joke? Maybe a date here or residency there but full scale tour, multiple shows year after year? Really?

GNR have played America 10,11,12,13 and now 14. Usually the same places, they are never away from new York and Vegas. Might not play a full tour but the same places mainly.

Didn't they have some dates in the Midwest? Point being, there is no way to argue that by playing in Vegas, NY, and somewhere in Ohio or something that they saturated the US concert going market and that's why they don't sell out stadiums.

I don't think they have over saturated the market in the US. The economy is shit in the US right now people are not spending the money on act that are considered older by saying this I mean a mom and or dad won't pay to go see a band of there youth but they will buy there kids a ticket to see who they like. The the big main stress singers or band that the youth of american is more interested in will pack the arenas.

James Hetfield has even said in an interview that they don't know what the deal is in the USA as far as ticket sales when conpaired to the rest of the world and they will not be touring on a large scale in the USA anytime in the foreseeable future due to the declining ticket sales.

IMHO It's the economy plain and simple!