Could the current lineup of GNR adequately perform "Free Bird"?

Fuck all y'all, Free Bird is great. In fact, it i would be it is the single.most requested song at concerts around here. I was at the Mötley/KISS gig in 2012 and after Rock And Roll All Nite someone behind me yelled PLAY FREE BIRD. At the Skynyrd gig, Free Bird was the one that probably got the loudest cheer. Even at the KISS gig in Simpsonville I heard someone yell FREE BIRD. And I can't forget all the douchebags with guitars at my school who are asked to play Stairway and Free Bird. Anyways I wouldn't mind hearing it live once by Axl. It'd be better than LALD imo :shrugs:

I saw Slash play Simple Man

that would be kinda cool.
It was. The entire Florida Theatre had lighters out and in the air and were singing along, it was pretty fuckin' cool. Slash's "Sailing" moment. And it was the only time he has played it.
That C, G, A progression in A minor was made for Slash. Would have loved to hear that.
I was on the other side of the room (Slash's side of the stage), 9 rows from the stage. It was a fun concert trip, I skipped school, drove down to Florida to see Slash.

Edited by wfuckinga

I've always felt that GnR lies was sort of their southern rock album and since then I've always wanted Axl to actually try to do a full on album with that sound. So I think current Axl would nail it and it would probably fit him more of you ask me rather than doing metal or more wailing bullshit at this point in his career.

Fuck all y'all, Free Bird is great. In fact, it i would be it is the single.most requested song at concerts around here. I was at the Mötley/KISS gig in 2012 and after Rock And Roll All Nite someone behind me yelled PLAY FREE BIRD. At the Skynyrd gig, Free Bird was the one that probably got the loudest cheer. Even at the KISS gig in Simpsonville I heard someone yell FREE BIRD. And I can't forget all the douchebags with guitars at my school who are asked to play Stairway and Free Bird. Anyways I wouldn't mind hearing it live once by Axl. It'd be better than LALD imo :shrugs:

Yeah but I thought you of all people would understand they are taking the piss when they call that...

I always tell shithouse buskers to play Paranoid, that doesn't mean I want them to play it.

Lol @ people not liking a song because a certain group of people go crazy over it (rednecks).

It's not about a group liking the song, it's about what the song makes me feel - disgusted.

Are you sure you're not thinking about Sweet Home Alabama? Which IS a white trash, racist anthem but it's complete satire.

I've always felt that GnR lies was sort of their southern rock album and since then I've always wanted Axl to actually try to do a full on album with that sound. So I think current Axl would nail it and it would probably fit him more of you ask me rather than doing metal or more wailing bullshit at this point in his career.

Lots of GNR is southern rock influenced. Izzy's writing style is born from the Stones who although aren't even from the US, are the embodiment of good, southern rock.

I've been really digging into Skynyrd for the past week and man, "Free Bird" gets me every time. I think a rite-of-passage into manhood is playing it full blast while zooming down the highway in your car.

If you've followed my posts over the past few months, you may note that I'm usually not one for rock-n'-roll excess, but Skynyrd gets an exception because they were such a tight band. I've never seen a band that could effectively straddle three powerful guitarists so well (And the other members are no slouches either).

So when I was rocking out to them earlier, it made me wonder if everyone else's favorite three-guitar band could pull it off. If you want my honest opinion, I don't think GNR could simply because all of the members in the band flail in comparison to the members of Skynyrd in their prime. Sure, the vocals wouldn't be taxing on Axl, but "Free Bird" isn't about the vocals; it's a showcase for some jaw-dropping interplay with a red-hot band. I don't think any of them (Maybe save Richard and Ron) have either the proficiency or the fire needed to play it well.

As always, what do you think?

They could play it without even rehearsing it, Free bird is not a difficult guitar song at least not in my opinion. Sounds great, feel great to play but it looks and sounds much harder to play than it actually is. Ron and Richard would both nail the song, Dj could stick to the rhythm part and he would be fine. Richard and Ron are both technically more proficient players than Allen collins and gary Rossington, that doesn't mean they are better players just that their skill level is higher. Yes current guns could pull off Free bird with enough fire and proficiency, as could old Guns wit a bit of a push from Gilby or Izzy (as both aren't the most dexterous lead players). There's no question there, it seems obvious to me. Can Richard and Ron play great slide guitar yes (Ron plays a bloody fretless!!!), can both of them burn all over the neck and know exactly what they are doing, yes. End of story!

They can barely pull off adequate performances of their own songs. So no.

You're talking about the vocals, this guy is asking can the guitarists handle it. Yes! Axl could sing this song without any trouble, he could use his don't cry voice and it would be pretty cool, I'm actually quite interested in hearing this now... yet, I hope they don't because the cover band thing will give them an almighty slap all over the internet, as it's a mainstay of any self respecting cover band..

Yeah but I thought you of all people would understand they are taking the piss when they call that...

I always tell shithouse buskers to play Paranoid, that doesn't mean I want them to play it.

It seems you're not the only one yelling Paranoid either ;) From Rocklopedia:

"It has become a popular culture cliché for the audience of almost any concert to shout “Free Bird” as a request to hear the song, regardless of the performer or style of music. There are equivalents for “Free Bird” in some countries; in Brazil, it could be translated to “Toca Raul!” (“Play Raul!”), in a reference to Raul Seixas. In Australia, the audience may shout “Play Khe Sanh!” referring to the Cold Chisel classic. In Finland, the audience is often heard shouting “Soittakaa Paranoid!” (“Play Paranoid!”) referring to the song “Paranoid” by Black Sabbath."

I've been really digging into Skynyrd for the past week and man, "Free Bird" gets me every time. I think a rite-of-passage into manhood is playing it full blast while zooming down the highway in your car.

If you've followed my posts over the past few months, you may note that I'm usually not one for rock-n'-roll excess, but Skynyrd gets an exception because they were such a tight band. I've never seen a band that could effectively straddle three powerful guitarists so well (And the other members are no slouches either).

So when I was rocking out to them earlier, it made me wonder if everyone else's favorite three-guitar band could pull it off. If you want my honest opinion, I don't think GNR could simply because all of the members in the band flail in comparison to the members of Skynyrd in their prime. Sure, the vocals wouldn't be taxing on Axl, but "Free Bird" isn't about the vocals; it's a showcase for some jaw-dropping interplay with a red-hot band. I don't think any of them (Maybe save Richard and Ron) have either the proficiency or the fire needed to play it well.

As always, what do you think?

They have a hard enough time covering Guns n Roses now you want Free Bird? (highly overrated song in my book)

People calling for Freebird at concerts is a running joke. People don't really want the band to play Freebird, they are trying to be funny. Kind of like how whenever a GnR story is published somewhere, people go post "funny" comments under the names of different forum members. It was played out about a decade ago, but people keep doing it. Kind of like people making "too soon" comments or "the 80s called and they want their (insert word) back."

These kids today, I tell ya....

Congrats to all you juniors that recently discovered Lynyrd Skynyrd. They were a great band, yes. My disgust isn't a knock on the band, but anyone with any decent rock and roll knowledge can explain why this thread is rediculous. Judging by the comments, you "kids" need to read them.

It would disgust me. That song is a white trash anthem and I can't stand listening to it. Reminds me of the dads in 8 Mile and Trailer Park Boys.

LOL..."white trash anthem"...ironic that someone on a GnR forum would be bashing a song for being "white trash" considering it doesn't get any more white trash than Axl Rose. LA white trash via Indiana.

Axlrebel2.jpg

It would disgust me. That song is a white trash anthem and I can't stand listening to it. Reminds me of the dads in 8 Mile and Trailer Park Boys.

LOL..."white trash anthem"...ironic that someone on a GnR forum would be bashing a song for being "white trash" considering it doesn't get any more white trash than Axl Rose. LA white trash via Indiana.

Axlrebel2.jpg

The day Axl moved to LA for good his "white trash card" was seriously in jeopardy. Especially when compared to the boys in Skynrd. Even a guy like Kid Rock is more "trailor" than Axl. Not that this is something to be proud of, I'm just calling it the way I see it. Even when Axl was at his most "sleazy" during the appetite era, he was more "rock" looking than "redneck" looking imo. I'm not denying that Axl has some redneck to his look though. Edited by Mike420

Axlrebel2.jpg

The day Axl moved to LA for good his "white trash card" was seriously in jeopardy. Especially when compared to the boys in Skynrd. Even a guy like Kid Rock is more "trailor" than Axl. Not that this is something to be proud of, I'm just calling it the way I see it. Even when Axl was at his most "sleazy" during the appetite era, he was more "rock" looking than "redneck" looking imo. I'm not denying that Axl has some redneck to his look though.

Fair enough...not going to debate who is the "white trashiest"...Free Bird was written as a tribute to Duane Allman. I think "One in a Million" might come closer to being a "white trash anthem" than Free Bird. I love both Guns and Skynyrd. I just thought it was funny/ironic that someone on a GnR forum was referring to Free Bird as "white trash"...I mean GnR 'aint exactly high culture/art!

Look at Bicardimayne stepping up in here actually answering the question and posting on topic. Wtf dude?

I would rather see them plan Tuesday's Gone if I had to choose a Skynyrd song.

I second this. It's one of my favorites and I'm not even a Skynrd fan.

Axlrebel2.jpg

The day Axl moved to LA for good his "white trash card" was seriously in jeopardy. Especially when compared to the boys in Skynrd. Even a guy like Kid Rock is more "trailor" than Axl. Not that this is something to be proud of, I'm just calling it the way I see it. Even when Axl was at his most "sleazy" during the appetite era, he was more "rock" looking than "redneck" looking imo. I'm not denying that Axl has some redneck to his look though.

Fair enough...not going to debate who is the "white trashiest"...Free Bird was written as a tribute to Duane Allman. I think "One in a Million" might come closer to being a "white trash anthem" than Free Bird. I love both Guns and Skynyrd. I just thought it was funny/ironic that someone on a GnR forum was referring to Free Bird as "white trash"...I mean GnR 'aint exactly high culture/art!

The version on "Collectybles" was from 1970, and Duane died in 1971. It must have become dedicated to him by the time the album was out.

Axlrebel2.jpg

The version on "Collectybles" was from 1970, and Duane died in 1971. It must have become dedicated to him by the time the album was out.

I stand corrected...you are right...it was dedicated to him, but not originally written as a tribute,,,

“Shortly after Allman's death, Ronnie Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd dedicated the song "Free Bird", to the memory of Duane Allman. Van Zant would sometimes allude to this in concert; in the "Free Bird" performance at Skynyrd's famed 1976 appearance at Knebworth, England, Van Zant says to pianist Billy Powell, "Play it for Duane Allman." Many people assume the song was written about Allman. However, it had actually been written well before he died.” (Wikipedia)