Could the current lineup of GNR adequately perform "Free Bird"?

My nominee's for "white trash anthem" include the following...

From Skynyrd:

Sweet Home Alabama

Give me three steps

What's your name

From Kid Rock:

Cowboy

Motherfucker quite like me

All summer long

From Hank Williams Jr.:

Family Tradition

All my rowdy friends

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but these are higher on the "white trash" scale than anything gnr ever did imo. Although the lyrical content for One in a million lends itself to this discussion, as does the the YCBM was used in T2. But still....

• Like 1

From Skynyrd:

Sweet Home Alabama

Give me three steps

What's your name

From Kid Rock:

Cowboy

All summer long

From Hank Williams Jr.:

Family Tradition

All my rowdy friends

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but these are higher on the "white trash" scale than anything gnr ever did imo. Although the lyrical content for One in a million lends itself to this discussion, as does the the YCBM was used in T2. But still....

Add "You Never Even Called Me by My Name" by David Allan Coe and I think your list is fairly complete. Oddly enough one of the most "white trash" people I have ever known listened almost exclusivley to Bon Scott era AC/DC! So sleazy, blues based rock like AFD era Guns and vintage AC/DC can qualify also. Anyway I guess I'm white trash 'cause I like most of what we've listed with the exception of Kid Rock.

White trash scale? Wait to turn a legit thread to shit

Anyways, love the song and skynyrd. Would i love to great gnr do it? Hell yeah, they'd do it justice. But as bacardi said, this band needs to step away from all the covers and solos and focus on new or original material. So for that reason, no i don't want to see it and that goes for other covers tpp

Except sailing. Jesus, they need to record that

Edited by ZoSoRose

From Skynyrd:

Sweet Home Alabama

Give me three steps

What's your name

From Kid Rock:

Cowboy

All summer long

From Hank Williams Jr.:

Family Tradition

All my rowdy friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8zTefUMhbI

• Like 1

The creator of this thread should be tared, feathered, and placed in the public square for mass ridicule.

Play Free Bird...... For shame.

Wow. Fuck you too.

One song I think the band could do a pretty good performance of is "Was I Right or Wrong". I feel like everyone in the current lineup could nail their parts.

The creator of this thread should be tared, feathered, and placed in the public square for mass ridicule.

Play Free Bird...... For shame.

Wow. Fuck you too.

One song I think the band could do a pretty good performance of is "Was I Right or Wrong". I feel like everyone in the current lineup could nail their parts.

Thank you!!!

It's not that free bird isn't a great song or that Skynyrd weren't a great band, but that it is literally the worst idea I have heard on here in a long time. I'm sure they could do it justice, but whats next Stairway to heaven, followed by Hotel california, maybe a few Beatles covers also....

I've been really digging into Skynyrd for the past week and man, "Free Bird" gets me every time. I think a rite-of-passage into manhood is playing it full blast while zooming down the highway in your car.

If you've followed my posts over the past few months, you may note that I'm usually not one for rock-n'-roll excess, but Skynyrd gets an exception because they were such a tight band. I've never seen a band that could effectively straddle three powerful guitarists so well (And the other members are no slouches either).

So when I was rocking out to them earlier, it made me wonder if everyone else's favorite three-guitar band could pull it off. If you want my honest opinion, I don't think GNR could simply because all of the members in the band flail in comparison to the members of Skynyrd in their prime. Sure, the vocals wouldn't be taxing on Axl, but "Free Bird" isn't about the vocals; it's a showcase for some jaw-dropping interplay with a red-hot band. I don't think any of them (Maybe save Richard and Ron) have either the proficiency or the fire needed to play it well.

As always, what do you think?

Shinedown did a great take of Simple Man and made it contemporary. Free Bird is not that hard of a song to do.. it really is a simple song played well and NuGNR could add some skin to the game doing a song like that.

But seriously though.. GNR need to dispense with the covers and get their own material out there. Granted it is a cover band by any other name now as it is but they could if only they would stand on thier own merit. A cover band has a limited shelf life as a band.. if they are true to thier music they should be writing songs -originals within a year. Ive left bands that want to stay at the bar level playing 80's and 90's stuff... its fun and and its safe but it usually gets tedious and boring within a very short period of time

Edited by rockerman
  • Like 1