"Make sure he (Axl) is comfortable and happy"....which band member said this?

The question was something like "what's it like to play with the legendary Axl Rose" (Not an exact quote, it was a long audio interview with a lot of questions, but it was something like that).

"We try and make sure that he is comfortable and happy" (on stage during a show).

WHICH BAND MEMBER said that about Axl???

I just found it to be an interesting quote. That band members main goal on stage would be to make sure their singer was comfortable and happy. Gives a lot of credence to the fact that this really isn't a traditional band, but more of a singer and his backing band. Not saying that's a negative or positive. I don't really care who is in the band, as long as Axl is in it.

And it also tied into the interview from the 1992 interview that was recent posted where Axl said that Slash/Duff could be having a great time on stage, enjoying the energy and the crowd, while he (Axl) would be miserable and soaking in all the negativity.

That says something about his personality. In an equal footing situation, Axl feels like it's him versus the world. But when he has a band that bows down and their goal is to make sure HE is happy.....then he is content and happy with how things are going.

The fascinating part to that is in the first situation - where he wasn't happy - Axl and his band were the most successful and popular rock band around. Nobody was bigger than Axl and GnR. But now he is happy, even though GnR is thought of as a bit of a joke and they aren't 1/10th as successful as they used to be. Fame and fortune doesn't guarantee happiness.

They also asked if there was ever going to be another GnR album...........the guy said he sure hoped so...........and the interviewer said "Well who will be playing on it, you or your son?"

And the current band member laughed for about two minutes straight. Not chuckled or a polite laugh, but he laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed. It was pretty funny.

More proof that Duff and Slash were too chicken to challenge Axl. They were good little co-dependents.

LOL are we talking about school kids or grown men? Too chicken? You always are able to get condescending remarks in about ex-band members.

Slash and Duff went along with Axl's antics because they were band members of the most popular rock band in the world. As a team, they were creating icon rock songs that still are relevant today. They were a triad of brothers. Too chicken? Please. What should they have done? So "chickens" in your book would be Izzy, Duff, Slash, Matt, Robin, Bucket - all those guys were too chicken because they refused to bow down to Axl's wishes? Interesting logic.

And when they got tired of bowing down to Axl's wishes - they walked away and formed their own band. Which, by the way, ended up being more successful than Axl's version of GnR.

Too chicken???? Even you are better than that.

Edited by Groghan

More proof that Duff and Slash were too chicken to challenge Axl. They were good little co-dependents.

Maybe they were just trying to make the band work somehow.

Exactly. Well said.

Only on this forum would a few posters somehow turn that into a chance to insult past band members. They constantly bash Slash/Duff/Izzy for "leaving" and bailing on Axl........and then they turn around and bash them for staying!!!!! That's why you can only shake your head and laugh at some of these posters. Stay on this forum long enough and you'll see this same group of posters argue BOTH sides of an argument, depending on how it reflects on Axl. This is a perfect example.

Yes brainsaber, the word chicken consumed me. And if you don't like my lectures, put me on ignore. Pretty simple.

Is it possible for you to just stay on topic without always being such a condescending little prick to everybody you disagree with?

Please STAY ON TOPIC or go ruin some other topics. Leave this one for people who want to chat about the band. Thanks.

Edited by Groghan
  • Like 1

@Groghan:

I'm sorry the use of the word chicken has consumed you. Good thing I didn't say "chickenshit," I might've been lectured for several paragraphs.

Let's be very clear here: all the nu-Guns players are just employees. Right? Right. Whereas, Slash and Duff were partners with Axl for the majority of their time in the band. See the difference? They didn't have the balls to challenge Axl. Plain and simple. Oh sure, they've portrayed it like they were the innocent little victims. They weren't. And if Slash really loved GnR, he should've fought for it, not acquiesced to Axl's shenanigans all the time.

Saber you're in for an essay :lol:

Groghan: Dude, come on. VR is more successful than GN'R? That's laughable. Where do you pull statements like that from? In absolutely no universe is Velvet Revolver more popular than Guns N' Roses.

It was frank but more saying it because of the voice its the only part of the band thats fragile and with Axl dealing with the business side of guns and being the main focus point of the show.

End of the day people pay to see Axl so the pressure is on him the most.

Edited by Axl_morris

What band is truly equal parts? Whether it was the original Guns or the current line-up, these guys are not idiots. Axl is irreplaceable. how many lead singers in history have his stage presence? plus the guy has one of the most unique voices out there. And he ain't the only eccentric lead singer either. Mick is the exception...more often than not the most gifted artists are the most neurotic/high maintenance. Whether its Rock or literature (Faulkner, Hemingway, Joyce, Lord Byron etc). This is a stupid thread. It's a shame Axl isn't more even - for the members and the fans; but cannot blame any band member past, present or future for dealing with him and placating him. When and where will they work with a better talent? Just look at VRs quest to find a singer or one of 100 other bands...

@Groghan:

I'm sorry the use of the word chicken has consumed you. Good thing I didn't say "chickenshit," I might've been lectured for several paragraphs.

Let's be very clear here: all the nu-Guns players are just employees. Right? Right. Whereas, Slash and Duff were partners with Axl for the majority of their time in the band. See the difference? They didn't have the balls to challenge Axl. Plain and simple. Oh sure, they've portrayed it like they were the innocent little victims. They weren't. And if Slash really loved GnR, he should've fought for it, not acquiesced to Axl's shenanigans all the time.

Groghan: Dude, come on. VR is more successful than GN'R? That's laughable. Where do you pull statements like that from? In absolutely no universe is Velvet Revolver more popular than Guns N' Roses.

Groghan believes because VR did a little better in the US with Contraband that makes them a global phenomenon.

Fact is GNR are much more successful in the rest of the planet. It's not even comparable.

@Groghan:

Groghan believes because VR did a little better in the US with Contraband that makes them a global phenomenon.

Fact is GNR are much more successful in the rest of the planet. It's not even comparable.

GNR is more successful than VR. VR is more successful than NuGNR. Don't take South America numbers too much into account to explain NuGNR's "succes", South Americans fill stadiums for basically ANY 80s or 90s band.

@Groghan:

Neither do the members of Axl's touring nostalgia act.

And yes, in the beginning Slash and Duff were partners with Axl. They were just a rock band trying to make it big. It wasn't until the early 90's where Axl became power-hungry and began to do things on his terms instead of the bands. He was always late, he was a bitch on stage (at times), he was the one who caused riots, he was the one that put My World on the Illusions without the bands authorization. Don't try to act like the old band is even close to the current band. Who helped Axl write iconic songs like Welcome To The Jungle and Sweet Child? Slash and Duff. Those song's are still blared through arena's and radio stations across the globe. What iconic rock songs has DJ wrote with Axl? How about Ron? Stinson? Fortus?

And Slash and Duff may have played the blame game on Axl in the past, but don't act blind to Axl's constant "everybody's out to get me," attitude. Axl's the one playing the innocent victim, not them. They were at the Hall of Fame, Duff has played with Axl numerous times. Wasn't it Axl who said that Slash caused him to get writers block? Hell, it could rain tomorrow and Axl will probably blame that on Slash. The guy hates him, and never explains why. He just goes on this tirades about nonsensical bullshit which only he can decipher.

@Groghan:

Do record sales even mean anything these days? CD was released in the height of the illegal downloading days. And I remember seeing something about it being one of the most downloaded albums of the year, so surely CD reached more people?

Duff said in his book he wished he had confronted Axl and that he wanted to several times but each time stopped. Matt has said that he was at times the only one ready and willing to confront Axl. Of course Axl would continue doing the crazy shit he did if nobody on an equal footing to him told him how crazy it was.

• Like 1

@Groghan:

Neither do the members of Axl's touring nostalgia act.Guns N' Roses

And yes, in the beginning Slash and Duff were partners with Axl. They were just a rock band trying to make it big. It wasn't until the early 90's where Axl became power-hungry and began to do things on his terms instead of the bands. He was always late, he was a bitch on stage (at times), he was the one who caused riots, he was the one that put My World on the Illusions without the bands authorization. Don't try to act like the old band is even close to the current band. Who helped Axl write iconic songs like Welcome To The Jungle and Sweet Child? Slash and Duff. Those song's are still blared through arena's and radio stations across the globe. What iconic rock songs has DJ wrote with Axl? How about Ron? Stinson? Fortus?

And Slash and Duff may have played the blame game on Axl in the past, but don't act blind to Axl's constant "everybody's out to get me," attitude. Axl's the one playing the innocent victim, not them. They were at the Hall of Fame, Duff has played with Axl numerous times. Wasn't it Axl who said that Slash caused him to get writers block? Hell, it could rain tomorrow and Axl will probably blame that on Slash. The guy hates him, and never explains why. He just goes on this tirades about nonsensical bullshit which only he can decipher.

photo.jpg

Maybe they were just trying to make the band work somehow.

Exactly. Well said.

Only on this forum would a few posters somehow turn that into a chance to insult past band members. They constantly bash Slash/Duff/Izzy for "leaving" and bailing on Axl........and then they turn around and bash them for staying!!!!! That's why you can only shake your head and laugh at some of these posters. Stay on this forum long enough and you'll see this same group of posters argue BOTH sides of an argument, depending on how it reflects on Axl. This is a perfect example.

Yes brainsaber, the word chicken consumed me. And if you don't like my lectures, put me on ignore. Pretty simple.

Is it possible for you to just stay on topic without always being such a condescending little prick to everybody you disagree with?

Please STAY ON TOPIC or go ruin some other topics. Leave this one for people who want to chat about the band. Thanks.

You made a thread about keeping Axl happy. I said Duff and Slash were chicken and that's part of why they kept Axl happy and comfortable. You became fixated on the word "chicken" and went on an off-topic tangent about it (insulting me in the process), instead of just responding to the premise of what I said. You compared Slash and Duff to nuGunners to question my logic. I explained the difference between partners and employees. Seems like I was staying on topic. Can't you give me some points for calling the nuGunners employees? I mean, as a worshipper nutter, shouldn't I not be willing to admit that? Your angry reaction seems disproportionate to my statements. No need to bring insults and negativity into the thread.

I can admit that part of what Slash and Duff did was for the good of the band. But at some point, it's important to say "no" to Axl and not keep him "comfortable" all the time. He needs to be challenged. Duff and Slash didn't want to challenge him. They just decided to quit.

Edited by metaforcesaber

@Groghan:

VR is more successful than NuGNR.

Wrong VR doesn't exist anymore. That says a lot.

There is no "nu GNR"...there is GNR and old GNR.

@Groghan:

The real Guns n' Roses doesn't exist anymore either. Despite that lead singer guy who still uses the name along with some hired hands.

@Groghan:

The real Guns n' Roses doesn't exist anymore either. Despite that lead singer guy who still uses the name along with some hired hands.
You sure? I saw real GNR a few years ago, and they're getting ready to tour again

You sure? I saw real GNR a few years ago, and they're getting ready to tour again
Must've been some coverband. Let me guess, the one with the 40 year old #demented #emo #douche pretending to be Slash?

The singer is shit though. He sounds like Axl and Mickey Mouse's lovechild.