Zep "tuned down" - would it work for Axl/Guns?

When Zeppelin got together for the Celebration Day concert, the band was required to “tune down a step” to better accommodate Plant’s aging voice. Now I’m not a musician so I don’t fully understand what it means that the band "tuned down a step" (maybe the musicians on the board can elaborate on that), but it seemed to work for the most part when Zep did it. Would something similar work for Guns? As Axl’s voice has and will continue to deteriorate (which is normal and unavoidable as one ages) do you see Gun’s new music being created with this in mind, and are there ways in which the already existing music might be tweaked when played live to better accommodate Axl’s vocals (at least at those times when he seems to be struggling to hit some of the notes)? Is the band already doing this and I just haven’t noticed?

I know that in my heart of hearts Guns N' Roses/Sweet Child O' Mine's in Eb, tuned half a step down from E, or is it?

I've found that moving a whole fret up (how one achieve's the transition from Eb to E) gets me playing Sweet Child O' Mine... It's like I know the song, what I knew was okay, move it up a fret and I'm playing it...

Or maybe it was just a backing track in E instead of Eb?

I forget right now but I was wondering about this last week.

Edited by Snake-Pit

A tone and a half down would make the songs sound very sludgy. a better option is to transpose the songs into a different key without down tuning. As a few of you said, Axl still hits the high notes - that's not the issue, like it was for Robert during celebration day.

The only solution is practice, if you're an athlete and you neglect your training your endurance will suffer, you won't run as far or fast as you usually can, that applies to musicians too. If a guitar player decides to not play for a full summer, when he comes back he's going to be rusty, he'll play like crap and it will likely take him the guts of the 3 months he took off to get back to where he was. Axl needs to practice more, simple as, maybe in his youth it was easy for him to fit right in with the band, but when you age (especially as a vocalist) you have to work a lot harder for the same results. Train, get his physical shape in good order... no room for huge bellies. Eat right, sleep right. Work with a vocal coach, even the best musicians still take lessons, Axl could do with learning how to control his voice (know some of you think he can now, but the evidence is overwhelming that he can't... explaining why he's so hit and miss), singing with grit is something you can train yourself to do and doing it properly will not hurt your vocal chords. Look at Corey taylor he has screamed his head off for the better part of 20yrs yet he can still sing rough and clean whenever he wants, why? he works on it and gets lessons. Tuning down will not help with being breathless either.

Tuning down would be a cop out for a 52yr old Axl rose, maybe at 60 we can talk. For now if he just did a few of the things I mentioned he would perform much, much better.

Also, the songs would likely be too low for Axl, even with that baritone voice of his.

I know that in my heart of hearts Guns N' Roses/Sweet Child O' Mine's in Eb, tuned half a step down from E, or is it?

I've found that moving a whole fret up (how one achieve's the transition from Eb to E) gets me playing Sweet Child O' Mine... It's like I know the song, what I knew was okay, move it up a fret and I'm playing it...

Appetite is in Eb so you are correct. I play in standard and when I play GN'R songs it sounds ever so slightly different.

It is, original song recorded in Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb tuning, first note of the song Db, key of song being Db. There's a few standard tuning Sweet child backing tracks (quite handy) on line so I expect that's what you encountered. Hope that helped!

• Like 1

When Zeppelin got together for the Celebration Day concert, the band was required to “tune down a step” to better accommodate Plant’s aging voice. Now I’m not a musician so I don’t fully understand what it means that the band "tuned down a step" (maybe the musicians on the board can elaborate on that), but it seemed to work for the most part when Zep did it. Would something similar work for Guns? As Axl’s voice has and will continue to deteriorate (which is normal and unavoidable as one ages) do you see Gun’s new music being created with this in mind, and are there ways in which the already existing music might be tweaked when played live to better accommodate Axl’s vocals (at least at those times when he seems to be struggling to hit some of the notes)? Is the band already doing this and I just haven’t noticed?

Voices deteriorate as one ages? Do you have medical evidence of this? Can you cite any sources? Just curious. Whenever I hear Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger, David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Sting, Steve Nash, Paul McCartney, David Bowie and a host of other artists well into their 60's (and some even 70's), they all sound better than ever. Do you think it really has to do with age, or the fact that people who don't exercise their voice when their living is singing? I think some people just 'have it' and could walk out on stage. Others work hard staying at the top of their game. Axl's never given a reason for why he sounds like Mickey Mouse often nowadays. So until he does, I'm attributing it to LAZINESS and NOT CARING.

• Like 1

It is, original song recorded in Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb tuning, first note of the song Db, key of song being Db. There's a few standard tuning Sweet child backing tracks (quite handy) on line so I expect that's what you encountered. Hope that helped!

When you play the intro to Sweet Child in standard tuning, it just doesn't sound quite right.

A lot of backing tracks are in E.

All GNR albums are recorded in Eb except some tunes on CD that are E standard.

Voices deteriorate as one ages? Do you have medical evidence of this? Can you cite any sources? Just curious. Whenever I hear Steven Tyler, Mick Jagger, David Gilmour, Roger Waters, Sting, Steve Nash, Paul McCartney, David Bowie and a host of other artists well into their 60's (and some even 70's), they all sound better than ever. Do you think it really has to do with age, or the fact that people who don't exercise their voice when their living is singing? I think some people just 'have it' and could walk out on stage. Others work hard staying at the top of their game. Axl's never given a reason for why he sounds like Mickey Mouse often nowadays. So until he does, I'm attributing it to LAZINESS and NOT CARING.

wtf...so when you hear those guys you can't hear that they're voices have indeed deteriorated with age ? They might sound good but the voice is nothing like when they were young

Some CD tunes are tuned down to B also. Such as Shackler's, ITW, and Scraped. And Better is C#

Some CD tunes are tuned down to B also. Such as Shackler's, ITW, and Scraped. And Better is C#

Yeah. Wonder why they make it so complicated!! I guess it don't matter when you own a gazillion guitars tuned differently.

Guest Len B'stard

I dunno how yous can tell this tuning shit, it's my lack of ability to get my head around that shit thats prevented me from being able to really play the gee-tarr.

Has to do with knowing by ear for one, also you can ask the musicians themselves. Slash tunes to Eb on most everything he does if I'm not mistaken. If I play Jungle or Don't Damn Me for example in standard, it sounds slightly different than tuning to Eb.