Duff McKagan to play with Guns N' Roses in Brazil? [RUMOR/SPECULATION ONLY]

There have been many news of a Guns N' Roses concert in Recife (northeast of Brazil), and today the promoters released a note saying that they were hading a hard time closing the deal because Tommy wouldn't be avaiable, he would be busy playing Lollapalooza with The Replacements, but that there's a chance Duff will replace him. That would be on April 17th and there may be another concert on the northeast at Fortaleza.

Edited by highvoltage
Edited to clarify that there is no reliable source for this information

I'll actually be sad if Tommy ends up leaving within the context of this iteration of GN'R. He was honestly one of the last remaining members that made me view it as 'NuGNR' and not just a touring band, tbh. I'd still like to hear his in-studio contributions.

Of course, I'd be ecstatic if Duff ever came back into the fold, but only if it was as a full-fledged reunion. I've invested so much time and faith in 'NuGN'R' over the years that part of me really doesn't want them to just slowly disband like the old band did, which is what has kind of been happening since Bucket and then Finck left. I still think that original group with Bucket was something special and Tommy played a big part of that.

I feel like perhaps Axl or whoever is involved with not putting out more songs over the past twenty years kind of took Tommy for granted in a way, because as both a Replacements member and a solo artist, he's proven to be quite a talented and gifted songwriter, and I mean, just look at "Going Down"...probably one of the best 'new' tunes we've heard yet, and better than a lot of what was on ChiDem.

• Like 4

I have a hard time believing this, MAYBE but I think it's unlikely. Tommy did say that he would only let one person step in for him in Guns, and that's Duff so if he can't play with them then I think Duff would get asked. I just don't know though, would Duff actually do it, is another question entirely. Yes he toured with them but re-joining them even for a brief tour might be a bit of a push for him.

Seems like with all the Replacement stuff going on, Tommy may already have one foot out Axl's door.

Wasn't there speculation around 2009 of Axl firing Tommy and Duff coming back? It seems like if someone were to come back, it would be duff since he stayed in the band as late as 1997. In a way, it would be nice having him back because that would get rid of a bit of hate that Axl carries. There would now be two original members, instead of one. At the same time though, Tommy has been in the band since 1998, he was one of the founding members of New GnR and has seemingly been very close to axl since then. He's been in the band longer than anyone besides Axl and Dizzy, he's been in the band longer than the original members. If he were to leave, I think it would be a pretty big blow to axl.

I think Duff rejoining would convince Axl to release some music. Duff likes making music, so he could probably push Axl to put out a record.

I wonder what happens to Going Down if Tommy leaves though? Does it get rerecorded with someone elses vocals, or does it join Paul in the vault, never to be heard again?

Edited by liers

Tommy has been in the band since 1998, he was one of the founding members of New GnR

no, Duff was. After Duff left, Tommy came in.

True, but Tommy was the one who brought in Pitman and Fortus, wasn't he? He was in before Finck, brain, freese, and Bucket