Tommy on wanting to record new album, possible future tour plans

From HTGTH:

Musician Tommy Stinson talks to iG about Axl Rose, Guns' tours and his comeback to the Replacements

Nicknamed as "the general" by Axl Rose because of his leadership on Guns N' Roses' rehearsals, the bassist Tommy Stinson is one of the oldest band members after Axl himself and keyboard player Dizzy Reed, joining the group in 1998.

Scheduled to come on the months of March and April this year, the hard rock group will be back to the country for concerts in seven capitals - even without a new record to show since "Chinese Democracy", released in 2008.

In an interview to iG, the bassist talks about the wish to add a new album to Guns' short discography, the band exists for 29 years and only 6 studio records. "I want to do a new album, I think it's a good time for us to get involved."

About the recent reunion of The Replacements, an influential punk rock group in the 80's to which Tommy joined at 11 years old due to insistence of his half-brother Bob Stinson, the musician sums up to say "it was fun". Bob died short after the band's dissolution, in 1991.

The Replacements had been mentioned as influence to bands like Nirvana, Wilco, Foo Fighters and Green Day e its reunion is nobly motivated by the EP "Songs for Slim", recorded by Stinson and vocalist Paul Westerberg as a beneficent project to help the guitarist Slim Dunlap's treatment, who suffered a cerebral vascular accident in 2012.

Read the interview below.

iG: Does Axl Rose still call you "general"?
Tommy Stinson: No, today I'm only "that guy" (laughs). The nickname came a long time ago. Nowadays I'm just "Tommy".

iG: What is the importance of Guns N' Roses to you?
Tommy Stinson: It's all very fun. I've been in the band longer than the other members. It's really good to be able to travel, meet several countries, to play in Japan. I'm looking forward to be back to Brazil and I hope it's hot there, because I'm freezing here (in the United States).

iG: Is it hard to stay creative playing with the same musicians for so long?
Tommy Stinson: This is a good question. Guns N' Roses is doing more tours than albums. We want to make a new album, I think it is a good time for us to get involved. But there are eight guys (in the band) in several cities and it is hard to gather them all. I am trying to compose and send it over the internet, I want to make it happen. We talk about doing a new record, but we don't know to when it is going to be.

iG: And the reunion shows with The Replacements after 22 years apart, how have they been?
Tommy Stinson: The reunion was fun, because we haven't played together for so long.

iG: Do you pretend to do other concerts besides the four already booked in the USA? Do you want to play other continents?
Tommy Stinson: There will be mores hows in the summer, in the States. We could go to Europe, maybe, but it is a lot of headache.

iG: Who have been drawing you attention in music lately?
Tommy Stinson: I haven't been listening to a lot of stuff recently, I've been working more on other's music, but I really like Queens of the Stone Age.

http://ultimosegundo.ig.com.br/cultura/musica/2014-02-14/guns-n-roses-queremos-fazer-um-novo-disco-e-uma-boa-hora-diz-baixista.html

:/

I guess the positive from this is that when Axl talks about releasing Silkworms on an album and Fortus talks about a new album, it means we might get Chinese Leftovers soon. To be honest, that's what I want most at this point, but I guess this news will upset people who want a new album from this lineup.

What do you expect him to say when the truth is that Axl can't be arsed? They use the geographical logistics as an excuse to cover for Axl's laziness. I'm pretty sure all the other band members would be happy to hop on a plane to get things moving forward with another album.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

From HTGTH:

But there are eight guys (in the band) in several cities and it is hard to gather them all.

1/ Book some rehearsals

2/ Assemble at those rehearsals

3/ Write and jam together

4/ Record an album

Seems to work for other bands!

What if all jams turn out to be utter shit? Disband?

From HTGTH:

But there are eight guys (in the band) in several cities and it is hard to gather them all.

1/ Book some rehearsals

2/ Assemble at those rehearsals

3/ Write and jam together

4/ Record an album

Seems to work for other bands!

What if all jams turn out to be utter shit? Disband?

The onus is on them as it is them who consider themselves to be a genuine 'band' - and the band, 'Guns N' Roses' at that. Presumably, musicians with a pretence to being a band should be able to string together some decent jam/writing sessions together. But if they cannot, then yes, disband.

What do you expect him to say when the truth is that Axl can't be arsed? They use the geographical logistics as an excuse to cover for Axl's laziness. I'm pretty sure all the other band members would be happy to hop on a plane to get things moving forward with another album.

Ran outta likes.

Also they seem to be able to assemble to tour pretty well.

• Like 1

Wow DeiselDaisey should be the manager of all the bands in the world.

According to him everything is a piece of cake :blink:

You should be the propaganda marketing guru, as you can make an excuse for almost anything they do or don't do.

It is that simple, you say "Guys, we're booking a rehearsal room through june to september, don't book anything for that period, as we're writing and going into pre-production". The problem here is that nobody pulls the trigger and sets the date, if there's 2 or 3 out of 8 writing songs separately it's not going to work. Everyone besides Pitman (the most important member) have said they want a new album, so if time was allocated they would all make the necessary time available to get it done. It's not as though those guys aren't going to get paid regardless of whether it's recording or going out on the road.

You should be the propaganda marketing guru, as you can make an excuse for almost anything they do or don't do.

It is that simple, you say "Guys, we're booking a rehearsal room through june to september, don't book anything for that period, as we're writing and going into pre-production". The problem here is that nobody pulls the trigger and sets the date, if there's 2 or 3 out of 8 writing songs separately it's not going to work. Everyone besides Pitman (the most important member) have said they want a new album, so if time was allocated they would all make the necessary time available to get it done. It's not as though those guys aren't going to get paid regardless of whether it's recording or going out on the road.

You lost me with Pitman being anywhere near important to anything. You were doing great up until then though, so maybe next time. :shrugs:

I'm guessing it's hard to get the band members together for writing and recording because some of them DON'T WANT to get together for writing and recording. Axl and Chris have made it pretty clear that they don't want to make a new album now. It's only BBF and DJ who have expressed clear desire for it in interviews.

You lost me with Pitman being anywhere near important to anything. You were doing great up until then though, so maybe next time. :shrugs:

I think he was being sarcastic with the Pitman comment.

I'm guessing it's hard to get the band members together for writing and recording because some of them DON'T WANT to get together for writing and recording. Axl and Chris have made it pretty clear that they don't want to make a new album now. It's only BBF and DJ who have expressed clear desire for it in interviews.

In his most recent interview, Tommy also said he wants to make a new album.

• Like 1

I think he was being sarcastic with the Pitman comment.

I fucking hope so.

They will be in vegas for 3 weeks, so they are all together.

Why can they travel the world together but not the studio.

Simple. They don't want a new album for whatever reason. I just wish they would be honest about it.

Yes. 'they' don't want to.

They will be in vegas for 3 weeks, so they are all together.

Why can they travel the world together but not the studio.

Simple. They don't want a new album for whatever reason. I just wish they would be honest about it.

Yes. 'they' don't want to.

Okay, Axy waxy Rosey posey doesn't want too.

Why can't Axl just be honest about it all?

I saw an interview with Noel Gallagher from last years Ivor Novella awards and he was talking with some journalists on the red carpet. One of them asked him if he had started work on his next album and he came right out and said "I have a lot of ideas, but y'know what, right now I just can't be arsed with it."

Simple. Honest.

People would respect Axl much more if he just stopped pretending like he gave a shit.