Tommy on wanting to record new album, possible future tour plans

@patience

Don't you think that inability to take responsibility speaks to a lack of self confidence? Truly confident people can admit whey fuck up without throwing the whole world under the bus.

Edit: seriously. Fuck quotes

Edited by magisme

The only thing more tired than the transparent "life gets in the way" like comments is saying "I've been in the band for x amount of years", like it's some kind of noteworthy accomplishment.

Longevity don't mean shit if you got nothing substantial to show for it. Which Tom doesn't.

The only thing more tired than the transparent "life gets in the way" like comments is saying "I've been in the band for x amount of years", like it's some kind of noteworthy accomplishment.

Longevity don't mean shit if you got nothing substantial to show for it. Which Tom doesn't.

Chinese is pretty substantial imo. (did I just walk into a trap? heh)

@patience

Don't you think that inability to take responsibility speaks to a lack of self confidence? Truly confident people can admit whey fuck up without throwing the whole world under the bus.

I take it as a personality disorder, not a lack of confidence.

I think it takes a tremendous amount of self confidence to take over a band, rebuild it basically from scratch, and then put it out there again as if it's the same band. Essentially, what he did was try and show everyone that HE was Guns N Roses, no one else mattered, the rest were replaceable, and even the replacements are replaceable. If that's not someone who reeks of self confidence, I don't know what is.

@patience

I think it takes a tremendous amount of self confidence to take over a band, rebuild it basically from scratch, and then put it out there again as if it's the same band. Essentially, what he did was try and show everyone that HE was Guns N Roses, no one else mattered, the rest were replaceable, and even the replacements are replaceable. If that's not someone who reeks of self confidence, I don't know what is.

That doesn't seem to me to be self-confidence such as a desire for control/self-determination. You can want control of your own life but still lack confidence in your own ability to make the most of it.

@patience

I get what you mean, but I also think self confidence is a tricky thing. For some people it requires certain conditions and a specific frame of mind. Axl is a person that cares a lot about what other people think of him. He's a complicated man from the little I know about him as a fan.

A lot of people (myself included) can be confident as fuck, only to suddenly lose all of it because of my thought process and the way I percieve a lot of factors in my life, myself, and others.

Some people are always confident or seem to be, others are almost always not, but there is a whole shitload of people in the middle that fluctuate between the two.

Edited by Rovim

@patience

I can see that. I still see him as a person who is far too concerned about what others think about him and far too broken by criticism of the Nu project to be a person of much confidence. I think we're using the word in two slightly different ways.

@patience

That doesn't seem to me to be self-confidence such as a desire for control/self-determination. You can want control of your own life but still lack confidence in your own ability to make the most of it.

I think if you don't have confidence in yourself first and foremost, you can't even imagine taking any sort of control and going through the actual steps to get there. I think they go hand in hand.

@patience

I think if you don't have confidence in yourself first and foremost, you can't even imagine taking any sort of control and going through the actual steps to get there. I think they go hand in hand.

Speak for yourself, I've been there :lol: Still am. It's the classic thing of wanting freedom and self-determination, and then once you're granted it, you realise you can blame no one but yourself for your failures from that point on. Axl and other band members have repeatedly said in interviews that it all comes down on Axl now in the nuBand, and that's definitely the case. If a new album gets rubbished, fingers are going to be pointed at Axl, since he is basically Guns N' Roses at this point. And he knows there are still pretty high expectations with that name, even if people didn't like CD.

Wow DeiselDaisey should be the manager of all the bands in the world.

According to him everything is a piece of cake :blink:

You should be the propaganda marketing guru, as you can make an excuse for almost anything they do or don't do.

It is that simple, you say "Guys, we're booking a rehearsal room through june to september, don't book anything for that period, as we're writing and going into pre-production". The problem here is that nobody pulls the trigger and sets the date, if there's 2 or 3 out of 8 writing songs separately it's not going to work. Everyone besides Pitman (the most important member) have said they want a new album, so if time was allocated they would all make the necessary time available to get it done. It's not as though those guys aren't going to get paid regardless of whether it's recording or going out on the road.

You lost me with Pitman being anywhere near important to anything. You were doing great up until then though, so maybe next time. :shrugs:

That bit was pure unadulterated sarcasm, I have no idea what his purpose is within the band, bar writing the mostly horrible Oh my god and silkworms and adding a few unnecessary synths here and there to old songs.

• Like 1

You should be the propaganda marketing guru, as you can make an excuse for almost anything they do or don't do.

It is that simple, you say "Guys, we're booking a rehearsal room through june to september, don't book anything for that period, as we're writing and going into pre-production". The problem here is that nobody pulls the trigger and sets the date, if there's 2 or 3 out of 8 writing songs separately it's not going to work. Everyone besides Pitman (the most important member) have said they want a new album, so if time was allocated they would all make the necessary time available to get it done. It's not as though those guys aren't going to get paid regardless of whether it's recording or going out on the road.

You lost me with Pitman being anywhere near important to anything. You were doing great up until then though, so maybe next time. :shrugs:

That bit was pure unadulterated sarcasm, I have no idea what his purpose is within the band, bar writing the mostly horrible Oh my god and silkworms and adding a few unnecessary synths here and there to old songs.

Pitman wrote If The World, and was a big part of Madagascar. His synth solo thing on the demo version of Catcher is lovely imo.

I think he adds another dimension to Chinese, but a lot of people here seem to hate his work on the album or don't even notice it.

Edited by Rovim

From HTGTH:

But there are eight guys (in the band) in several cities and it is hard to gather them all.

1/ Book some rehearsals

2/ Assemble at those rehearsals

3/ Write and jam together

4/ Record an album

Seems to work for other bands!

And Diesel hits a home run!!!

If they can all assemble together to tour every year, why can't they assemble together to record an album? Tommy's quote about living in difference cities makes no sense.

It seems like all the guys in the band have said they want to record a new album with GnR. Fans want a new album. Why don't Axl and Beta?

Axl has a quote in here about saying just because he writes a song doesn't mean he has to share it with the people who are going to just spit in his face. THAT IS THE CRUX OF THE PROBLEM. Axl/Beta are too worried about the critics and people who don't like him or the band. How about focusing on the MILLIONS of fans who love and support Axl and his career??? Axl's career should be sparked by the millions of people who have supported him - some for 25 years. But for some reason, he - and his entire family/camp - seem more concerned about the people who don't like his band. Friggin weird.

Edited by Groghan

From HTGTH:

But there are eight guys (in the band) in several cities and it is hard to gather them all.

1/ Book some rehearsals

4/ Record an album

And Diesel hits a home run!!!

It really is that simple. "where there's a will, there's a way" right? But maybe Axl has no will to write and record a fresh album with the current line up.

Thing is, we are all struggling to understand why Axl 'has no will' for a new album. A new album makes absolute sense now. It made absolute sense three years ago in fact. Now, it is becoming a dire necessity. All the fans except for jarmo want a new album and are tired with the tours; all the band want it except for Axl and Pitman; the record company probably want it as, why have a band signed who do not release anything?

Thing is, we are all struggling to understand why Axl 'has no will' for a new album. A new album makes absolute sense now. It made absolute sense three years ago in fact. Now, it is becoming a dire necessity. All the fans except for jarmo want a new album and are tired with the tours; all the band want it except for Axl and Pitman; the record company probably want it as, why have a band signed who do not release anything?

I just think there's a disconnect between Axl's demands and the label. I'm sure the label would be happy to dump an album with the GNR name slapped on it into stores with minimal promotion, knowing it would sell a decent number of copies. On the other hand, I think Axl wants some big-time promotion, which he isn't going to get. I remember a fan asked him after L'Arc back in September 2010 about a new album and he said "We just have to figure out what our deal with the label is." Like Trent said in a recent interview regarding Interscope, if you're not a big seller for the label, they're not going to invest in you. At the end of the days it's a business; Axl spent $14 million of the label's money, and they luckily got out of that thanks to Azoff and the Best Buy deal. Azoff then tried to get Axl to get back with Slash, that didn't happen, now the label doesn't really see the GNR brand as a big seller in its current state, which is most likely true.

That's my belief as to why the Chinese Leftovers haven't been released. As to why no new album from this lineup, well... Partly I guess it's the above, partly I guess Axl is happy just touring for now. Bach said he heard an Axl/DJ song back in September '11, I'm guessing Axl considers DJ his main collaborator out of this lineup.

I've given up with it all to be honest.

I don't see anything changing anytime soon. People will still be talking about this in 2015 and 2016... I don't get why so many fans get so antsy and frustrated about it all. Maybe they still have hope left, but they're only setting themselves up for more disappointment. Expect nothing, because more than likely, that's all you're going to get with this band.

Edited by Towelie

I just think there's a disconnect between Axl's demands and the label. I'm sure the label would be happy to dump an album with the GNR name slapped on it into stores with minimal promotion, knowing it would sell a decent number of copies. On the other hand, I think Axl wants some big-time promotion, which he isn't going to get. I remember a fan asked him after L'Arc back in September 2010 about a new album and he said "We just have to figure out what our deal with the label is." Like Trent said in a recent interview regarding Interscope, if you're not a big seller for the label, they're not going to invest in you. At the end of the days it's a business; Axl spent $14 million of the label's money, and they luckily got out of that thanks to Azoff and the Best Buy deal. Azoff then tried to get Axl to get back with Slash, that didn't happen, now the label doesn't really see the GNR brand as a big seller in its current state, which is most likely true.

That's my belief as to why the Chinese Leftovers haven't been released. As to why no new album from this lineup, well... Partly I guess it's the above, partly I guess Axl is happy just touring for now. Bach said he heard an Axl/DJ song back in September '11, I'm guessing Axl considers DJ his main collaborator out of this lineup.

Tommy didn´t mention the label at all. I understand that the label and Axl were never in the best of terms for one reason or another. But with that in mind Axl doesn´t seem to be making any effort to either work things out with the label to avoid past mistakes and misunderstandings. Nor I see Axl looking for another label. He is Axl Rose not some wanna be guy playing in a garage band or a club band. If one particular label doesn´t give a shit about his music. He can go out there and try to make a deal with some other label that would show more support.

Yes, Axl seems to be happy with neverending touring. But that won´t work forever. He can´t be out there milking AFD for the rest of his life. Neither promoters nor fans are gonna tolerate that much longer.

Pitman wrote If The World

And that is why he should never be allowed near the songwriting process again. Firing him would be the most desirable option, but relegating him to the near nothing he's at now is a distant second best.

Guest cbgnr666

Tommy didn´t mention the label at all. I understand that the label and Axl were never in the best of terms for one reason or another. But with that in mind Axl doesn´t seem to be making any effort to either work things out with the label to avoid past mistakes and misunderstandings. Nor I see Axl looking for another label. He is Axl Rose not some wanna be guy playing in a garage band or a club band. If one particular label doesn´t give a shit about his music. He can go out there and try to make a deal with some other label that would show more support.

Yes, Axl seems to be happy with neverending touring. But that won´t work forever. He can´t be out there milking AFD for the rest of his life. Neither promoters nor fans are gonna tolerate that much longer.

Yes he could tour it until the cows come home.Most go for the golden oldies. A GNR show is one of the only concerts that I would attend where I would want to hear something new.If I attend say Metallica,Aerosmith,ACDC etc. like the majority of fans at gnr concerts I'm there for the songs I know and grew up on, and am not interested in new stuff.

Edited by cbgnr666

Axl knows nothing other than mediocre will come out of his current set of employees. And another failure of an album would mean reduced ticket sales for AFD nostalgia tours.

Why bother? Just keep the nostalgia act going, collect the paychecks, and mildly stroll thru middle age.

Axl knows nothing other than mediocre will come out of his current set of employees. And another failure of an album would mean reduced ticket sales for AFD nostalgia tours.

Why bother? Just keep the nostalgia act going, collect the paychecks, and mildly stroll thru middle age.

He really does need to pluck you from your current bar band so you can shine like the bright little star that you are.

Universal/Interscope has GNR under contract. I just think Axl can't be bothered with the business side of things, and the business can't be bothered with the Axl side of things :P Understandable in both cases.

From HTGTH:

1/ Book some rehearsals

4/ Record an album

Axl doesn't work that way anymore. Robin said they recorded dozens of songs from 97-99 and none of them had any vocals. Axl only wrote lyrics to SR in 2007, 4 years after Bucket was last in the studio with GNR.