Tommy on wanting to record new album, possible future tour plans

They seem to have a hard time. When they're on tour in Austrailia, Malasia, or somewhere where they have nothing else to do, why can't they get together then. If they do a residency in Vegas, they're obviously all in Vegas. What's so hard about putting aside a few hours for a few days just to put songs together. Chickenfoot does it, Dead Daises does it, tons of "supergroups" do it, when ALL the members have other projects, they still find time to record. Chickenfoot put the whole month of January aside to work on a new album for later this year, and there last album is only 3 years old.

You get the impression Axl doesn't like a deadline or a "this is it" scenario. He might piece together what he has, but may not feel it's the right time. Or even not wanting to go through it again. Without a label really kissing his ass I can't see how we're going to get anything.

From HTGTH:

But there are eight guys (in the band) in several cities and it is hard to gather them all.

1/ Book some rehearsals

2/ Assemble at those rehearsals

3/ Write and jam together

4/ Record an album

Seems to work for other bands!

Axl doesn't work that way anymore. Robin said they recorded dozens of songs from 97-99 and none of them had any vocals. Axl only wrote lyrics to SR in 2007, 4 years after Bucket was last in the studio with GNR.

He perhaps should think about working that way again then, as, that was almost how Appetite was made, Guns N' Roses' greatest album.

Wow DeiselDaisey should be the manager of all the bands in the world.

According to him everything is a piece of cake :blink:

Its really not that hard.. especially in todays environment and technology.. given the level of talent and the the copius amounts of time that they have had.. 15 songs by now should be relatively easy. They are not inventing the wheel.. its not like trying to figure out an economic formula or a putting a man on mars.

Wow DeiselDaisey should be the manager of all the bands in the world.

According to him everything is a piece of cake :blink:

Its really not that hard.. especially in todays environment and technology.. given the level of talent and the the copius amounts of time that they have had.. 15 songs by now should be relatively easy. They are not inventing the wheel.. its not like trying to figure out an economic formula or a putting a man on mars.

Sometimes when you're too busy looking at the big picture, the vision, the details, and making it better , you forget how powerful the basic, simple, and primal process of making music is and always was.

I mean, you can do so much with just a bass, 2 guitars, drums, and a singer. It worked well for Axl once upon a time.

But that's not the only way you can create a great album. In the end, it doesn't matter how you get there if the outcome is good.

It's not like Axl can't just combine ways of creating an album, but I don't think he wants to. He said Chinese was exactly what he wanted musically, but that it was a nightmare of a process to endure.

Now he's got mostly eager band members that want to write an album, but for some reason he doesn't seem to be excited about doing one with the current line up.

Maybe the stuff in the vault is really good in Axl's opinion and he was buried in the studio for years so there is no reason to record with the band right now who the fuck knows. Maybe he's trying to negotiate a deal with the record company to release the Chinese leftovers.

He did say he always considered Chinese to be a double and we only got half of the work, so logically, he would want to first and foremost release the rest of his work and then do something completely new. Remember how he wanted to tour the shit out of Chinese and give it the exposure it deserved?

It's like releasing just UYI l touring behind it for years, and not being able to play Estranged and You Could Be Mine.

He would want to get that out first. Just like he wanted Don't Cry and November Rain out. He wanted them to be on AFD.

Edited by Rovim

I think the more off the cuff style works now and then. Like with AFD lightening in a bottle. But band's that do that every time it's more hit and miss and they put out more records like DC and Stones.

It's a moot point because right now that's not really happening for big bands. Even the Stones and DC have slowed down. If they were going to do it it would've been in the 90s.

Axl doesn't seem like he wants to put out a no mark album. One way or another it has to be a big deal.

Going back to remake AFD, you know try to do another record like that is suicide with the band as it is. Even a UYI type thing would be hard.

I'm not sure what record they could do to add to the canon. a 00s influenced GNR record? possibly or a more mature Self-Titled album.

The label must be thinking a Best of or Live album best way to milk the band.

What can Axl achieve with a record? Other than just jumping through hoops of expectation?

I think the more off the cuff style works now and then. Like with AFD lightening in a bottle. But band's that do that every time it's more hit and miss and they put out more records like DC and Stones.

It's a moot point because right now that's not really happening for big bands. Even the Stones and DC have slowed down. If they were going to do it it would've been in the 90s.

Axl doesn't seem like he wants to put out a no mark album. One way or another it has to be a big deal.

Going back to remake AFD, you know try to do another record like that is suicide with the band as it is. Even a UYI type thing would be hard.

I'm not sure what record they could do to add to the canon. a 00s influenced GNR record? possibly or a more mature Self-Titled album.

The label must be thinking a Best of or Live album best way to milk the band.

What can Axl achieve with a record? Other than just jumping through hoops of expectation?

Maybe it's too early to ask what he can achieve with a brand new album. It's hard to imagine real musical progress with Ashba cause he seems to be interested in doing the old school Guns thing while Bumble's musical style and song ideas don't seem to be a priority for Axl currently.

Richard is still largely ignored too? you've made a good point with the whole stones and ac/dc (I think that's what you meant) approach of making albums, but those bands are old, so nothing really works for that long as good as it was when they were on top.

I think the most moving forward song on Chinese is Catcher. Axl demonstrated with it that he can create something surprising and thematically progressive. If he can do that, maybe CD ll has more, and if we listen to all of it, maybe we'll get a much better sense of what new directions Axl can take with new Guns cause technically, we've only heard half of Chinese.

Edited by Rovim

Maybe we will just get more of the same, accept a bit less focused, more aggressive, less GNR sounding. Look at Djs version of Better, Silkworms, Going Down its all over the place.

If CD was Actung Baby, CD II is Zooropa. Maybe then next one would be All that You Can't leave Behind, self titled with Dj doing his best Slash. A Hail to the Thief type mix tape of GNR.

Highly unlikely, but for all we know Axl and Caram may have been working on left over songs for the follow up - We know that Bumble has worked on some of the older songs (Going Down, Atlas Shrugged & Silkworms) - so maybe in the silence Axl has been finishing up vocals & overdubs to other leftover songs and is piecing together the follow up... seems unlikely I know but I genuinely do hope to hear some new material this year :(

• Like 1

I strongly think that if we hear this year 2-3 completely new songs a new album (CD leftover or whatnot) WILL released in 2015 or 2016
Then Axl will tour the rest of his life (when he can still manage to stand on the decks)
It doesn't really matter if he sound like Mickey Mouse, i think he doesn't care anymore
We will see what happens, just we already know that everybody (yes, even Axl wants out his new music and i think he is right when he blame the record company as far as the better interviews show us) besides Pittman who clearly doesn't give a shit anymore, WANTS a new album
My guess is the 30th anniversary is perfect for releasing a few things (maybe a full new album)
If they doesn't play anything completely unheard in the upcoming shows, then i strongly doubt that ANYTHING can change this situation
I think this year could be a very important yeaar if they do it "right" or the record company allowed them to do it right :axl:

Edited by Crash Diet

Definitely a trilogy would work, just the idea of it, would be hard to criticise. Axl actually said a song Bach liked would be on the third one.

Obviously you have to discard these things just for sanity sake. I do wonder if CD is an on going project though when I'm alone and lost in the abyss.

Definitely a trilogy would work, just the idea of it, would be hard to criticise. Axl actually said a song Bach liked would be on the third one.

Obviously you have to discard these things just for sanity sake. I do wonder if CD is an on going project though when I'm alone and lost in the abyss.

The trilogy thing is always in. Chinese was kind of a trilogy itself. I never discard these things, I just add them to the fire. The idea of CD will never end. It's Axl's retirement plan.