Slash talks Axl no-show at Guns N' Roses Hall of Fame induction

How many Chinese Democracy type albums do you think it would take to make Slash a minor footnote? :lol:

Just 1 more

I can only assume this imaginary recording was a shitload better and more successful than ChiDem? Because that certainly didn't diminish Slash's legacy as a band member. If anything, it enhanced it.

Everyone that hates CD will be the first to admit the guitar work is not the problem.
Guitarists who wrote the stuff on CD aren't in the band anymore. And no, Bumblefoot re-recording a solo and a half doesn't count.

How many Chinese Democracy type albums do you think it would take to make Slash a minor footnote? :lol:

Just 1 more

I can only assume this imaginary recording was a shitload better and more successful than ChiDem? Because that certainly didn't diminish Slash's legacy as a band member. If anything, it enhanced it.

Everyone that hates CD will be the first to admit the guitar work is not the problem.

That still doesn't mean that there was guitar work that could have become a fixture in popular music and culture the way so many of Slash's parts have. There's a difference between good, on the one hand, and make-you-the-biggest-band-in-the-world iconic, on the other.

Just 1 more

Guitarists who wrote the stuff on CD aren't in the band anymore. And no, Bumblefoot re-recording a solo and a half doesn't count.

Better re-learn to read your liner notes. Ron played his own parts on every song on the album. In fact, the only people that weren't featured prominently were DJ and Frank. Whether you like Ron's contributions or not is something only you care about. :shrugs:

"That was one of the great things about Guns N' Roses - it had its own little underground fans and they were hardcore."

"Then when it blew up big it became very mainstream and I don't know if I was ever really comfortable with that."

The plot thickens! :o

He probably means Illusion's big ballads and cheesy videos.

I figure it won't be too long before we are Gn'R-educated by some kids who were in diapers during AFD who are hoping for party passes by denying Slash's importance to the Gn'R legacy.

Get the fuck over it. Slash's name will never be erased from the credits of the music he helped record.

It's too bad GNR didn't put out more albums in the last decade, that would make Slash a minor footnote in the history of GNR.

To be honest GNR could have released 20 albums this past decade and it wouldn't supercede Slash's work on AFD let lone the rest of the old material (along with the rest of the past musical collective's work on those records).

GNR's major "legacy defining" moments peaked at its highest in the 80's and early 90's never to be reached afterwords

Edited by WhazUp

I figure it won't be too long before we are Gn'R-educated by some kids who were in diapers during AFD who are hoping for party passes by denying Slash's importance to the Gn'R legacy.

Get the fuck over it. Slash's name will never be erased from the credits of the music he helped record.

It's too bad GNR didn't put out more albums in the last decade, that would make Slash a minor footnote in the history of GNR.

Chinese Democracy made Slash a foot note.

Great interview by Slash. He's gotta be tired of these questions but to his credit he still answers them.

You do realize that people who were in their diapers "during AFD" are now almost 30 years old? Just food for thought. You're not exactly talking about children anymore.

'Cano you come up with the most preposterous stuff it's good humor. So let us get this- if Axl had put out more albums between 2004 and today Slash (one of the co-writers/co-contributors to AFD.....one of the greatest debut albums and greatest all time albums) would be a "footnote in history"? God damn that's funny.

Funny how Axl pulled out at the 11th hour, would explain the sighting of him in the vicinity the night before. Maybe the lamb was off.

Or the peas accidentally brushed against the mashed potatoes. Either way it was a sign, and you can't expect Axl to function under those conditions.
Maybe I'm just overtired after a 14 hour day but I laughed so hard at that comment that tears literally streamed down my face. :lol:

Oh do shut up you fucking plank!!!! :lol: Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

Great interview by Slash. He's gotta be tired of these questions but to his credit he still answers them.

You do realize that people who were in their diapers "during AFD" are now almost 30 years old? Just food for thought. You're not exactly talking about children anymore.

My point was that they weren't old enough to realize what was going on at the time and now they wanna tell people what Gn'R was like back in the day. I don't go on Rolling Stones forums trying to tell people what they were like back in the day. I may have been alive in the 70's but I wasn't actively following the band. Anyone can be a major fan regardless of age. I just find it funny that the majority of Gn'R-educators and Slash bashers tend to be on the younger side.

I wish Slash would have reflected a little on his favorite moments with GNR. He seems to avoid that question in most interviews.

It sucks that he made it seem like Axl deciding not to go was the reason they went. I can't blame him though, it's not like Axl has said much positive about Slash since he left.

In the end I'm glad Axl didn't attend though. It just wasn't the right venue for a reunion to happen. It would have been five minutes of awesome and then the "where do we go now?"

Cool interview though. It's nice to hear any former member discuss the old days.

LOL...don't you mean that GnR will end up as a "footnote" in Slash's history/career rather than the other way around. He's been in two other bands since GnR (VR, Snakepit), released three solo albums (counting AL and Made in Stoke as solo albums) with a fourth one in the works, and he's performed as a guest on countless other songs/albums. There is more to Slash than just GnR. Meanwhile Axl has given us CD. IMO the band that played at the HOF was much closer to the genuine GnR than any band that Axl has fronted under the GnR banner.

Edited by foghat43

Just 1 more

Better re-learn to read your liner notes. Ron played his own parts on every song on the album. In fact, the only people that weren't featured prominently were DJ and Frank. Whether you like Ron's contributions or not is something only you care about. :shrugs:

Yeah, this may be true - but can anyonesay this is what he contributed to each song? The songs were written and recorded long before he came in the fold - to me it seems like his contributions are the same as changing the color of a houses paint job after it was already built.....mere cosmetics....letme know the next time he comes up with an iconic intro or riff like wttj, scom, pc or an iconic solo like scom, nr, estranged, etc or an outro like PC, coma, nighttrain etc. -- dude's been in the band for 6 years and I still couldnt tell anyone what his contribution to CD was and I doubt anyone here could either.

I figure it won't be too long before we are Gn'R-educated ™ by some kids who were in diapers during AFD who are hoping for party passes ™ by denying Slash's importance to the Gn'R legacy.

Even if you're a fan of the album (and I am) you have to be fucking delusional to believe that for one moment.

I mean it's not even a subjective opinion, you can pretty much factually state that Slash is just as much known for GN'R now as he was years ago, and as time goes on and Axl releases less new music, the old image of the band that made radio hits just continues to grow stronger in the collective consciousness that is pop culture.

I figure it won't be too long before we are Gn'R-educated ™ by some kids who were in diapers during AFD who are hoping for party passes ™ by denying Slash's importance to the Gn'R legacy.

My point was that they weren't old enough to realize what was going on at the time and now they wanna tell people what Gn'R was like back in the day. I don't go on Rolling Stones forums trying to tell people what they were like back in the day. I may have been alive in the 70's but I wasn't actively following the band. Anyone can be a major fan regardless of age. I just find it funny that the majority of Gn'R-educators ™ and Slash bashers tend to be on the younger side.

A bit odd to think that some of the 30-something fans of Appetite back in '87 - people not much older than some of the users here - are now buying birthday presents for their granchildren and approaching retirement. Crazy.

• Like 2

Slash was put in an impossible situation.

of course he wants to reunite the original GNR.they were great.one of the greatest.

any person who had anything to do w AFD would probably jump on a reunion and not just for

money.

it's a thing called art.rock n roll is an art form.Slash is creating music,he was creating music,he

wants to share his experiences with the world through music.

GNR will always be his legacy.he played guitar on one of the best rock n roll albums of all time.

of course that should be celebrated in a dignified fashion.

but then we have our W Axl Rose or whatever ,Bill Bailey.

maybe he has childhood trauma,maybe he's bipolar,personality disorder,nobody knows.

he's acting like a paranoid recluse who has given up on life and music as a positive force.

he's not creating music.he tours SA and Vegas for retirement money.

Axl has maybe 10 years left before the voice is gone and people will miss the bs cash-grab tours 2001-2014

with the same setlist basically.because Axl was great,right?

so luckily Axl didn't drag Slash too deep into his personal hell.

it';s contagious.

Slash is still out there,having a life even,he stopped drugs,he changed.

I wish Axl all the best but I refuse to PAY any money to him or his mama.

Axl,yeah,he bought a family when he could afford one.

didn't like his own so why not buy some people who is paid to always agree?

I have lost all illusions re Axl.

That is pretty harsh. But a very good post.

Slash says VR's still futilely looking for some great singer who's inspiring enough to fill in the vocals.

Someone should suggest Axl quitting GNR and joining VR. -just for the lolz.

That Metal Show suggested that when Duff went on and talked about playing with Axl haha they said something along the lines of "you should have called Slash and said, 'hey I think we found our new lead singer!'l

• Like 1

The kind of event record that UYI was doesn't seem like it will ever happen again.

Obviously in context a lot of what Slash said is confusing. But he's always tried to stay humble and self depreciating. I think it doesn't translate well in the context of the perceived feud.

In wider scope they all made a bunch of money, did a lot of drugs, got laid and have got to make records and tour and have a career in music.

My point was that they weren't old enough to realize what was going on at the time and now they wanna tell people what Gn'R was like back in the day. I don't go on Rolling Stones forums trying to tell people what they were like back in the day. I may have been alive in the 70's but I wasn't actively following the band. Anyone can be a major fan regardless of age. I just find it funny that the majority of Gn'R-educators and Slash bashers tend to be on the younger side.

A bit odd to think that some of the 30-something fans of Appetite back in '87 - people not much older than some of the users here - are now buying birthday presents for their granchildren and approaching retirement. Crazy.

is it that crazy ? i mean, take a look at axl... he could be a grandfather and he's approaching retirement

Edited by IZZYISGNR