Biography: Guns N Roses

Last night the Biography channel had a special on GNR.

There was lots of cool GNR concert footage, no sound. The guy who was talking about the band, talked over the footage, but it was still cool to see the original GNR rockin.

GNR's original manager Vicki talked about the early days of the band.

I had no idea Axl and Izzy were from the same town and went to school together. Izzy left for LA and Axl followed 2 years later. He actually jumped bail for like his 20th arrest and went to LA. it took him 2 years to find Izzy.

Most of the stuff was the usual for bands starting out in the 80's. Living with strippers who help support them. the drug problems and Axl's temper.

It was pretty interesting stuff.

After Steven was fired and they got Matt as the new drummer, the band was supposed to work on a new album after the success of the Illusions.

It seems that with the firing of Steven and Izzy leaving, some of the magic of this band was gone. They recorded their punk favorite songs for the Spaghetti Incident, but something was off.

My thinking was that if the magic of the original members was gone before the actual break up, what was the point of going on.

Vicki their manager and even Duff who was interviewed agreed that the magic of the band was the 5 of them: Axl, Izzy, Slash, duff and Steven. When Steven was fired and Izzy left, they lost their mojo and with the drug problems and drinking, I think they were done.

Duff got clean and his wife was pregnant, so he didn't want to continue. matt and Axl had a huge fight and he was fired. Having the guys sign over the name was the beginning of the end and by 96 Slash quit.

GNR was a band that lived the rock life with the sex drugs and rock and roll, but like Duff said, they didn't know what to do with all of it when they reached the top. It's sad, but at least the guys are alive to tell about it.

GNR changed the face of music in the 80's and honestly I don't think even if the original 5 members were to reunite, you couldn't re-create what they once had.

I'm just grateful that they lasted as long as they did and their music will live on and on.

Steven said "in the end, it's all up to Axl".

I think that about says it all.

Their ex manager Vicki said that she was shocked when Steven was fired for heroin addiction because she said when the guys lived with her, Steven was the least party guy. Guess you just never know what fame is going to do to you.

Steven said "in the end, it's all up to Axl".

I think that about says it all.

Their ex manager Vicki said that she was shocked when Steven was fired for heroin addiction because she said when the guys lived with her, Steven was the least party guy. Guess you just never know what fame is going to do to you.

That's what Vicki saw. Steven and Slash were 14-15 when they dabbled in hard drugs.

It's been on YouTube for a while. It's a good bio. I also enjoyed the one, I think it's called "Axl Rose: The Prettiest Star". "Making Fucking Videos" is my favorite though. Funny thing about The Prettiest Star - it's about Axl but the camera shot of the Rainbow shows a huge banner for Velvet Revolver. LOL

Edited by DangerousCurves

I liked the behind the music one better. Mainly bc it had gnr's music in it.

The biography channel one was ok, but it could have been better. The story about Axl in 2006 at the end was cool. I hope someone else does a biography with Axl being interviewed soon.

The behind the music one made me feel like GNR were the coolest band of all time but their reason that the tour got bloated bothered me. You couldn't expect a band that big to just keep re doing the same thing over and over again. I think Axl's creative vision was what solidified GNR as more than just AFD.

Steven Adler is GnR.

He's recognized as more Gn'R than anyone who has been in the band since he left.

I'm not sure why people on here take shots at Adler. Rest assured the majority of you would probably kiss his ass in person.

lolNo.

Bucket, Finck, Ashba, Sorum, Bumble....all far more recognizable than Adler.

lol kiss his ass

Steven Adler is GnR.

He's recognized as more Gn'R than anyone who has been in the band since he left.

I'm not sure why people on here take shots at Adler. Rest assured the majority of you would probably kiss his ass in person.

Who knows what's touched that ass...I wouldn't go near it with a 10 foot pole.

Steven Adler is GnR.

lolNo.

Bucket, Finck, Ashba, Sorum, Bumble....all far more recognizable than Adler.

lol kiss his ass

They are more recognizable as members of Gn'R than Adler? Come on now. MAYBE Sorum but the rest of your list? No chance.

Steven Adler is GnR.

Who knows what's touched that ass...I wouldn't go near it with a 10 foot pole.

I think his wife is on par with Gilby's for best looking Gn'R spouse.

Just for the record, I wasn't taking a shot at Steven Adler. You can check my name history on here. I used to be "Popcorn's Snare" and "Popcorn's Timbre."

I'm a bigger Adler fan than any of you cliche wannabe-hardcore-old-school-GnR-fan nubcakes... except BBA.