It should have gone this way

I finally got to watch one of the double dvd sets of the 25th anniversary of Use Your Illusions 1 and 2.

It was pretty interesting because it talked about the beginnings of GNR. How they came together and a lot about AFD.

Of course it also talked about the downhill times too.

I agree that these 5 unique musicians that made up GNR were very special and changed the face of rock at that time. I don't think any other musicians could have done the same thing.

It showed concert footage that made me so wish I could have seen GNR back in 88, 89 and 90. Regardless of all their issues, they rocked onstage like no other rock band at that time.

But what made them great also made them implode. The drug habits and drinking problems. Izzy going to rehab and leaving the band. At that point, many people both reporters and friends of the band, thought that was when Axl started to get more out of control because Izzy kind of reigned him in. I took offense to this because maybe if Slash or Duff stood up to Axl, he would have had a tantrum, but then later calmed down after he thought about it and maybe things could have been better. I just think Slash wanted Axl to get his way so he could be the blame on him for everything wrong with GNR.

Most of the original band members agree that they weren't ready for that kind of fame and that was the beginning of the end for them. If Axl had mental problems maybe someone should have had the balls to try to help him. It was like they let him run wild like a child always wanting his own way. Why? It certainly wasn't better for everyone.

Anyway, what's done is done. One thing is that Axl has always been a perfectionist and thank him for it because look at the amazing songs GNR has done. Sometimes when you're younger you don't see the whole picture of what's to come and you just want it all and want it now.

It was a crazy time and I for one I'm glad the band lived through it.

One guy from the UK said that after Izzy left and Steven was fired, it was the real GNR anymore and even though Matt and Gilby were good musicians, they never really were GNR. I thought that was funny because I felt the same way. He said the proof is what has Gilby done since then? At least Matt has gone on to different bands and done new music.

Well, whatever the reasons, it ended, but like so many said on the dvd, AFD still sells many many albums to this day and will always be one of the all time greatest rock albums of all times. And the USE your Illusions 1 and 2 came in at number 1 and number 2 on the bill board charts and GNR were the first and only rock band to released 2 double albums at the same time. also this was the first time, the record stores opened at midnight and sold the albums.

No other band or musicians can say that and I think that's freakin awesome!

Axl shouldn't release an album for me, I'm not expecting one and I couldn't care less about that but what about his fans?

This reads to me like you are basically saying you aren't a fan. How come you're here then? It seems the only posts you ever make in D&N are negative ones toward the band. So I'm just curious: what keeps you around? Do you enjoy constantly slagging a band you don't like, or at least used to like that you're unsatisfied with now?

(i realize this obviously makes me sound like a wicked dick, but i assure that isn't my intention. honestly just wondering the above)

Some people are just this way. It's a ridiculous world and we can live in it however we choose. Wild stuff.

Ok true. Makes sense. Like, in trying to understand Nosaj Thing's whole deal, I tried to draw some sort of parallel by using myself as an example. So for instance, random artist I dislike: Kanye West. Fucking hate him. It only took me a few seconds to start laughing at the notion of spending significant time on one of his fan forums and talking shit. Instead, I feel my energy is more enjoyably spent when discussing a band I love, in one of "their" spaces (i.e. an actual fan forum). So like, wouldn't it make more sense for Nosaj to be on a Nosaj Thing or some other producer-type-music forum? But yeah, I don't know; like you said, everyone has different ways of getting off in life.

Axl shouldn't release an album for me, I'm not expecting one and I couldn't care less about that but what about his fans?

This reads to me like you are basically saying you aren't a fan. How come you're here then? It seems the only posts you ever make in D&N are negative ones toward the band. So I'm just curious: what keeps you around? Do you enjoy constantly slagging a band you don't like, or at least used to like that you're unsatisfied with now?

(i realize this obviously makes me sound like a wicked dick, but i assure that isn't my intention. honestly just wondering the above)

Some people are just this way. It's a ridiculous world and we can live in it however we choose. Wild stuff.

Ok true. Makes sense. Like, in trying to understand Nosaj Thing's whole deal, I tried to draw some sort of parallel by using myself as an example. So for instance, random artist I dislike: Kanye West. Fucking hate him. It only took me a few seconds to start laughing at the notion of spending significant time on one of his fan forums and talking shit. Instead, I feel my energy is more enjoyably spent when discussing a band I love, in one of "their" spaces (i.e. an actual fan forum). So like, wouldn't it make more sense for Nosaj to be on a Nosaj Thing or some other producer-type-music forum? But yeah, I don't know; like you said, everyone has different ways of getting off in life.

Yeah, if someone if going to spend time and energy hating on something they really don't care about, then they're a fucking price of shit for wasting everyone else's time. But, if they do care, then it's all game. There aren't too many things that exist that don't deserve a fair amount of bitching at. Especially if your care about them.

I finally got to watch one of the double dvd sets of the 25th anniversary of Use Your Illusions 1 and 2.

It was pretty interesting because it talked about the beginnings of GNR. How they came together and a lot about AFD.

Of course it also talked about the downhill times too.

I agree that these 5 unique musicians that made up GNR were very special and changed the face of rock at that time. I don't think any other musicians could have done the same thing.

It showed concert footage that made me so wish I could have seen GNR back in 88, 89 and 90. Regardless of all their issues, they rocked onstage like no other rock band at that time.

But what made them great also made them implode. The drug habits and drinking problems. Izzy going to rehab and leaving the band. At that point, many people both reporters and friends of the band, thought that was when Axl started to get more out of control because Izzy kind of reigned him in. I took offense to this because maybe if Slash or Duff stood up to Axl, he would have had a tantrum, but then later calmed down after he thought about it and maybe things could have been better. I just think Slash wanted Axl to get his way so he could be the blame on him for everything wrong with GNR.

Most of the original band members agree that they weren't ready for that kind of fame and that was the beginning of the end for them. If Axl had mental problems maybe someone should have had the balls to try to help him. It was like they let him run wild like a child always wanting his own way. Why? It certainly wasn't better for everyone.

Anyway, what's done is done. One thing is that Axl has always been a perfectionist and thank him for it because look at the amazing songs GNR has done. Sometimes when you're younger you don't see the whole picture of what's to come and you just want it all and want it now.

It was a crazy time and I for one I'm glad the band lived through it.

One guy from the UK said that after Izzy left and Steven was fired, it was the real GNR anymore and even though Matt and Gilby were good musicians, they never really were GNR. I thought that was funny because I felt the same way. He said the proof is what has Gilby done since then? At least Matt has gone on to different bands and done new music.

Well, whatever the reasons, it ended, but like so many said on the dvd, AFD still sells many many albums to this day and will always be one of the all time greatest rock albums of all times. And the USE your Illusions 1 and 2 came in at number 1 and number 2 on the bill board charts and GNR were the first and only rock band to released 2 double albums at the same time. also this was the first time, the record stores opened at midnight and sold the albums.

No other band or musicians can say that and I think that's freakin awesome!

I don't blame these guys for breaking up. Shit happens and they all had they're reasons/excuses. It's just that after 10 years of being apart they've all been willing to work together, except Axl with Slash.....even after Axl fucked the brand, Guns N' Roses. That's unbelievable. I bet Slash, Izzy, Duff and a drummer would have leaped at the opportunity to write and record a Guns N' Roses album in 2003-2005. They would have no sympathy for the current members. After all, it's their band, not Bumbles... And goddam Axl couldn't pull that shit together. He was in too deep with the catastrophe that is current Guns and hates Slash. It should have gone another way...

A question about me and/or my interests is derailing a thread and going off-topic but since you were polite with your question, I'll answer.

I'm not an Axl Rose fan. I'm a fan of Guns N' Roses. That said, I'm a supporter of Axl Rose and his projects since he dissolved real Guns. I have supported nuGuns up until Buckethead left, I liked some 06-07 shows but at that time I wasn't following his band that much, tbh. When Chinese Democracy was released I gave it a listen and I didn't like it, put that aside and got excited when the 2009-2010 Tour was announced. When he and his band hit my country, I paid more than $200 to see them. I enjoyed the show very much, even though I had to wait 3 hours for him to arrive, I spent 12 hours on my feet and my legs were killing me but I did not say one negative thing about him or the show because I felt it was worth it.

When did I stop supporting him? When he stopped giving a fuck. That's called: Rock In Rio 2011.

And why am I still here? Because this is an uncensored, all Gn'R era forum. I still am and will always be a fan of real Guns N' Roses. Plus, this forum's skin is the only one my eyes can tolerate. :lol:

Being honest, I wish, man, I wish someday I can be all positive like I was years ago but right now, there's nothing to be positive about. It's been a sad trip since 2011 and I refuse to blindfold myself and be an Axl worshiper, because worshiping is scary and sick.

I hope that answers your question. And yep, we will probably see each other in this very forum for a long, long time, 'cause I ain't going nowhere! :slash:

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 1

Apples to oranges.

The only way your Kayne comparison would make sense would be if you were a die-hard Kayne fan for 20 years. I believe that Nos was a die-hard fan of Axl and GnR while they were producing amazing albums - Appetite, Lies, two Illusions. And then he continued being a die-hard fan for 20 years after that. But he eventually has grown tired of the circus that GnR has became.

Your example is like comparing you not wanting to go on a date with some girl that hate, as a similar situation to a couple who has been married 25 years and is thinking about divorcing because they've grown apart. It isn't the same, in any way shape or form.

And this isn't a board like HTGTH where you can only praise Axl and TB. There is a reason that board is dead and this board is always alive and electric.

Edited by Groghan

I think people get invested, then things changed. In rock these changes cause long running debates which sometimes end in reunion. GNR still being up and running is thorn and hope. It's like a hot girl that got fat teasing you. Do you, don't you, maybe if you criticise she'll hit the gym and get in shape or even travel back in time to 1987 when she was smoking.

I think people get invested, then things changed. In rock these changes cause long running debates which sometimes end in reunion. GNR still being up and running is thorn and hope. It's like a hot girl that got fat teasing you. Do you, don't you, maybe if you criticise she'll hit the gym and get in shape or even travel back in time to 1987 when she was smoking.

So it's kinda a bitterness/lack of acceptence kind of thing to some people. It's never going to be the same, and most likely Axl will never perform with Slash live again or work in the studio together. It's sad, but Gn'R fans had a lot of time to get used to it.

Even Slash said the Rock N' Roll hall of fame thing was the last chance or something like that. It's over, so might as well take it or just leave it the fuck alone. If you don't like what has become of Gn'R, chances are you're not going to like whatever the future holds for it. (if it will even have a future)

Edited by Rovim

But she's dancing and if you close your eyes a little...

My way of looking at it is that in AFD and UYI eras Slash and Izzy got to do what they wanted. That was the band they always wanted to be. But Axl wanted to have a different career. So he got the chance to make the album he wanted to do with CD. Whereas as Izzy thought the Stones should've quit while they were still cool, Axl mourned the loss of a touring Alice Cooper band and admired Jaggers business acumen.

Edited by wasted