Robert Plant on Axl Rose [OLD]

I always wondered what Robert and Jimmy thought about Axl and Slash. Guess they don't really care about them or their music.

Or their own.

What do you mean by that?

Well, why don't the tour and continue to make music?

Because Led Zeppelin ended in 1980 when Bonham died.

Bonham was Plants best friend, Jimmy and John are up for it, like you say - it was over when he died. Plant went through too much in the band to ever want to go back without Bonzo.

It wasn't a diss at all. I found it funny.

And if I remember correctly Plant, Page, and Jones called it a day on Zeppelin out of respect for Bonham. I think that makes them a class act. Page and Plant have done various side projects and collaborations to keep their fans happy the past 30 years. Plant had an extensive solo career; Pictures at Eleven & Now and Zen were pretty good albums. Zeppelin also did some one-off shows with John's son. (If they were going to get anybody to be the drummer of Led Zeppelin again, that was the only person that they could have chosen).

All this talk about the members of Zeppelin not caring about their fans is the first I've ever heard of such, and on the surface it sounds like horsehockey to me.

Actually Robert Plant continued to make music and tour long after Led Zeppelin was over, and Page did too (just not to the same extent that Robert did). But Robert Plant didn't hire a bunch of musicians and call it Led Zeppelin...unlike a certain other lead singer of a well known rock band... :lol:

• Like 1

It's not Zeppelin without Bonham. It was the right choice to officially end it, cause it was already over.

Curious: do you believe the same can be said of GNR?

Like, it's not GNR without izzy. (Or slash, or duff, or popcorn, whichever you please)

Or has Axl proven that, unlike Led Zeppelin, everyone except the lead singer can be replaced and the band will be just as powerful and incredible as ever.

I'm serious, just curious.

It's not Zeppelin without Bonham. It was the right choice to officially end it, cause it was already over.

Or has Axl proven that, unlike Led Zeppelin, everyone except the lead singer can be replaced and the band will be just as powerful and incredible as ever.

"Just as powerful and incredible as ever" is a matter of opinion. Personally I prefer the AFD lineup to anything that came after, including the UYI lineup.

Edited by foghat43

On a side note I saw Robert Plant live last year and I thought he blew away the two GNR shows I saw in 2011 and 2012 in terms of vocals. Axl should take notes from Robert Plant. He is still a captivating frontman but compared to Robert he is just a lot more inconsistent vocally.

And anyways you really can't argue with the scream at 2:20, simply incredible all the way through the song:

Edited by WhazUp

On a side note I saw Robert Plant live last year and I thought he blew away the two GNR shows I saw in 2011 and 2012 in terms of vocals. Axl should take notes from Robert Plant. He is still a captivating frontman but compared to Robert he is just a lot more inconsistent vocally.

And anyways you really can't argue with the scream at 2:20, simply incredible all the way through the song:

It's not a matter of notes it's a matter of rehearsing your voice...

But you think it was OK for Axl to keep GnR alive without Slash, Duff and Izzy?

I think what people fail to realize with this argument (not saying you, just some people) is that starting a new band doesn't mean that Axl still wouldn't have performed all the old material. The Axl Rose Band would still play all the same classics like Nov Rain, YCBM, Jungle, SCOM, etc. And he would have still came up with all the same CD songs.

Keeping the name/brand GnR has helped Axl sell a lot more concert tickets than if he'd went solo - so you can't blame him for being smart financially. But at the same time, it is respectful what Led Zep did.