Joe Perry says Slash/Aerosmith tour is happening

I saw Aerosmith about twenty years ago and some would say they were past their prime then. I saw them last on the Motley tour and that was enough for me.I'm not sure how people who saw them back in the day can say they kick ass these days. I wanted to chalk up the "OMG THEY ARE BETTER THAN EVER! 1" comments to kids who never saw them back in the day or just plain old nut-swingers. Still for a $20 ticket I'd see Slash and stick around to see if he jams with Aerosmith.

I saw Aerosmith about twenty years ago and some would say they were past their prime then. I saw them last on the Motley tour and that was enough for me.I'm not sure how people who saw them back in the day can say they kick ass these days. I wanted to chalk up the "OMG THEY ARE BETTER THAN EVER! 1" comments to kids who never saw them back in the day or just plain old nut-swingers. Still for a $20 ticket I'd see Slash and stick around to see if he jams with Aerosmith.

You saw the Motley/Aerosmith gig at Darien? That's the one time I did see Aerosmith that they didn't cancel on me. Everyone else seems to think they're great live, and I just didn't see it. Honestly thought Motley was better than Aerosmith that night.

I've seen Aerosmith live once. In 2007 and they were great. Gonna see them again this May.

Never heard anyone saying they suck live. But then again, I'm huge Aerosmith-fan, so I'm biased. Almost everything they do is great, for me.

I'm a big Aerosmith fan (love the 70s stuff and enjoy their late 80s/90s work) but had huge reservations about seeing them live. They are so much older, the setlists really weren't as dynamic as they could be, and they are really expensive. However, Aerosmith was one of my friend's only real "favorite" bands so they came around in 2010 I believe and he said we had to go. I begrudgingly agreed and we ended up getting really good seats through a hook up I have. It was expensive, but to see them once and for my friend I pulled the trigger.

Anyway, we went and I was blown away. I thought they were outstanding. I was ready to sit there and enjoy it for my friend's benefit, but kind of have that look of "this is borderline pathetic". They killed it. I wouldn't say it was one of the best shows I've ever seen, but they were so much better than I expected. For one, they had been opening with Same Old Song And Dance and all the way there I was saying "you know, if I'm seeing Aerosmith ONCE in my life, I'd prefer they open with Back In The Saddle". Lo and behold, that night, for the only time on that tour I believe, they opened with Saddle. I was thrilled and its those moments that really make the concerts special because its live and anything can happen. Good mix of songs in their catalogue and they played for a solid hour and 45 minutes if I'm correct. They gave it their all though and at many times during the show I was just arms length away from Steven Tyler and Joe Perry. As a classic rock fan, thats cool no matter whether they were good or not. Based off the surprise of how good they were, I would go again if the situation was right.

Now I'm rambling, as I do, but the Slash element makes the situation right for me. Thats a really cool double bill when there are very few double bills these days I actually care about (love both Kiss and Def Leppard for example, but have no desire to see them more than the one time I did). Here's my thinking: Slash will definitely open and it won't be co-headlining. He'll probably get 45 minutes to an hour. Aerosmith will headline and probably play an hour and a half to 2 hours, and to be honest I would expect a Slash guest appearance in their encore or something. I'm guessing best seat tickets will be minimum $150, and it'll probably be amphitheaters (maybe different places around the country, but I fully expect it just to be PNC Bank Arts Center in my area and not MSG or Izod).

How I see it is: I much prefer Slash and Myles in a club or theater. They really excel there and it'll be weird but cool seeing them in a bigger place. I don't expect it to have as much of an impact as their smaller shows though. But, it seems if they didn't do this tour, they wouldn't be headlining anyway in the US this summer, so if its between this or nothing then I am totally fine with this. Tickets will be expensive, and once they are announced I will assess whether its worth it but I'll probably go. I won't expect anything much from Slash setlist wise. If they are opening, I expect the core AL/self titled debut songs, 3-4 Guns songs, and probably Slither, and then the obligatory single since its supposed to be released this summer. Nothing new and nothing deep, which sucks, but again its either standard or not seeing them tour this summer so I choose the former (child).

There are my thoughts. I don't expect responses because I wrote a novel. I think this is a really cool double bill and its one of the few concerts I'm actually really excited for this year now. I hope it all works out that I'm able to go when they come around. As I said, for the price it would be, I'd much prefer this type of rock show than the KISS/Def Leppard one or the Motley Crue/Alice one, which will all be comparatively priced and the Slash/Aerosmith one will be the most blues rock/unpredictable of the bunch. Very happy this is happening, and then I can't wait to see Slash either late this year or early next year when they headline tour again.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

I saw Aerosmith twice in the 70's and it was pretty bad-ass (needless to say).
I didn't see them again until '94 and it just wasn't the same vibe...but it was a good show though.

I haven't seen them since, but having a chance to see Slash this summer is reason enough to go see them again. I bet it's a going to be a blast.

Perry and Slash...nuff said right there.

Combination!

Slash always states ROCKS as the first album that really got him into rock.

Man if he jammed on that, it would be insane!

I read your post and thought, "yeah Combination would be cool," without realizing it was actually in a setlist! That's awesome, would love to hear that

And gunsfanoldie, I think I was at that show man, I remember expecting the normal opener and then BITS happened. I remember some kid held up a sign that said "Eat the Rich" and Todd saw it and sort just shrugged like, "Sorry man, it's not in the setlist."

How I see it is: I much prefer Slash and Myles in a club or theater. They really excel there and it'll be weird but cool seeing them in a bigger place. I don't expect it to have as much of an impact as their smaller shows though. But, it seems if they didn't do this tour, they wouldn't be headlining anyway in the US this summer, so if its between this or nothing then I am totally fine with this. Tickets will be expensive, and once they are announced I will assess whether its worth it but I'll probably go.

I've seen Slash/Conspirators a few times now in small venues and yeah they really are in their element. But I also got to see them at a festival event in July 2012. Not sure what the attendance was, but definitely well over 10,000.

nnquye.jpg

They were amazing and I enjoyed the show just as much as I did seeing them in small venues. These guys def bring it to a full concert crowd.

I think these gigs with Aerosmith are going to be badass!

Here's a few vids I filmed from the festival gig..

I also had the chance to see SfM&TC several times....

2 of them where in Mexico City. The first time was in a small venue and the second one was in Mexico's Sport Palace...in Slash words "That was the biggest gig they've ever done"

The vibe with the audience is just different. Smaller = Intimacy, Bigger = Energy.

Well thats just me.

I might just wait until the tour proper to catch Slash again, but I'll see what ticket prices are like. I'm not a big enough Aerosmith fan to warrant spending the money just because Slash is opening, but the prospect of the tour is definitely cool.