Is Axl Rose GN'R?

Guest Len B'stard

Nope. No one man is ever a band, it's sort of the definition of the term, a band, a collection of people that it banded together, you can't band together with yourself can you, regardless of your weight or body mass being equivalent to two people or perhaps giving a name to your penis or whatever :lol:

• Like 2

The best way I can answer this question is with a yes and a no.

85'~94' gnr = Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, and whomever else you want to add or take away, but those 4 made up the heart and soul of gnr.

95'~present gnr= Axl Rose and whatever musicians he chooses to be in his band. Like it or not it is the facts.

I like most fairly intelligent gnr fans prefer the early version of the band, but at the end of the day Axl has the right and ability to do or not do whatever he wants.

The most difficult thing for me (as a fan of this band) isn't who is in or out of the band, it's the fact that somewhere along the way Axl became the exact thing he used to be against. When I read, hear, or watch old interviews of Axl he just seems like the opposite of what he became. He used to have so much fire, so much passion, such a love for this thing called rock and roll. He was like the leader of hard rock for a few years. I had a lot of respect for that man. I still have respect for him, but as so many have pointed out, that fire just seems gone. At least on the CD album, I could still feel it in moments, but I just haven't seen that in such a long time now. He almost seems like defeated man anymore, the respect has turned into pitty. Perhaps some new material might change my mind, but until that happens....

Edited by Mike420
  • Like 2

Anyone who thinks Axl = GNR is delusional. Did he play a large part in GNR, and their ascendancy to being one of the worlds best hard rock bands? Yes, but so did four other guys. Had GNR not been Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Steven in 1986/7.... well this forum probably wouldn't even exist.

EDIT: As Mike noted, if you're talking about "current GNR," yeah okay it's basically Axl's band. For those of you who adamantly submit that it's Axl's band..... that just lends more strength to the opinion that "current GNR" is nothing more than Axl's solo project.

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 2

Guest Len B'stard

Owning something and being something are not the same thing. I own a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes, that doesn't make me Jimmy Choo.

Probably just as well, i don't think the bald look'd suit you :D

Guns N' Roses was Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff, and Steven/Matt. I'll throw Gilby in there too cause I like him and his music.

What we've got here is the Axl Rose Experience, feat. 7 session guys. Axl and Dizzy both have admitted it's a solo project.

Edited by SlashisGOD

This topic made me laugh.

Whenever people say that GnR isn't a band, a certain group freaks out with numerous reasons why it is IN FACT a band.
But then when somebody asks if Axl is GnR..........they go overboard with the reasons why Axl is IN FACT GnR.

It must make debating much easier when you allow yourself to argue both sides of the argument!!!

If all seven guys came to Axl and said "We want to release an album this year. And at least half the songs must be songs that we've all written together. If not, we all quit." Does Axl give credence to 88% of his band wanting to do something.......or does his one vote supersede everybody else's vote?

Technically, this is a band. In name - yes. It's Guns n Roses.

Realistically, this is the Axl Rose show with a bunch of hired musicians.

At this point, Axl is Guns n Roses.

Historically - no. While he was probably the most important member of the band. Slash, Duff and Izzy are all in the conversation.

This topic made me laugh.

Whenever people say that GnR isn't a band, a certain group freaks out with numerous reasons why it is IN FACT a band.

But then when somebody asks if Axl is GnR..........they go overboard with the reasons why Axl is IN FACT GnR.

It must make debating much easier when you allow yourself to argue both sides of the argument!!!

If all seven guys came to Axl and said "We want to release an album this year. And at least half the songs must be songs that we've all written together. If not, we all quit." Does Axl give credence to 88% of his band wanting to do something.......or does his one vote supersede everybody else's vote?

Technically, this is a band. In name - yes. It's Guns n Roses.

Realistically, this is the Axl Rose show with a bunch of hired musicians.

At this point, Axl is Guns n Roses.

Historically - no. While he was probably the most important member of the band. Slash, Duff and Izzy are all in the conversation.

It's the classic thing of repeatedly stating something being a giveaway that it isn't true. Dizzy et al harping on about how democratic and wonderful it is is similar to calling East Germany the Democratic Republic of Germany, or calling the borderline fascist country of China a "People's Republic". The more DJ harps on about how important integrity it is, the more he makes it clear he has none. The more they keep calling this a band...

Oh lookey there, another epic "profound" post in response to made-up arguments from non-existent entities. (@Grogin)

Axl runs the show. Everyone with a half a brain knows this. There's nobody actually saying "Axl is GnR and always has been." Yes, it's not like the old days. Yes, the original members are all gone except Axl. Yes, the current lineup are paid employees. But they're still part of GnR. They're the ones giving you the show when you go to a concert. They're lending their sound to GnR. If a future album ever materializes, they'll be the ones with their names in the credits. Axl is the soul of GnR. That doesn't mean Slash, Duff, Steven, and Izzy aren't a part of GnR's legacy, they're just not in GnR anymore. It is what it is. Being constantly disgruntled (oh I'm sorry, I mean "joking about it" and "'just watching' the trainwreck") about it is not good for your blood pressure.

Edited by saber_