What are some things the new band does better than the old one?

Izzy deserves the writing credit, yes I agree. I will back him up all the way for song writing ability.

I just don't think he is the better guitar player. Richard is more pro-active, with thin lizzy, dead daisies, complusions and being hired for other guest spots. He is out there. Show me an izzy solo where he can rip richard apart? You can't.

There has even been specualtion if izzys guitar was even plugged in on his guest spots over the past few years.

That's the main thing about GNR, the main thing that none of these dingbats could ever get through their heads. Individually, none of them were all that remarkable, but together they were electric, nothing better during their time. And maybe it had to end early because of that, but maybe it didn't. So sure, Richard might be more attractive than Izzy with the rest of his career outside Guns, and he might be more technically skilled at the guitar - I don't actually know if either is true - but we're talking about Guns N Roses here. In GNR, it's no contest. Izzy all day, every day.

New band is better at doing what Axl wants and not causing much of a stir. But honestly the only songs they play better are the CD songs, because we have no way of comparing those. But I still feel that This I love could have been huge with Slash on guitar, same goes for TWAT and Catcher.

They don't screw up the guitar parts as much. People like to romanticize the old days, but the number of times a solo or riff got fucked up is actually quite staggering.

Please do share said moments where the old band fucked up something.

I dare you to find examples of more than just those two. Those are isolated incidents and aside from them there really weren't many screw ups. I'm not trying to romanticize it, thats just the truth. The new band has messed up twice or more as well. And honestly, the new band doesn't mess up more 1, because its much more of a job than feeling the music, and 2, because they are afraid of getting fired if they mess up consistently.

Thats just the truth. But sure, try and find more examples of the old band fucking up and I will counter every one of them with an example from the new band. Yours was an idiotic statement.

Live and Let Die. That's probably the one song I unequivocally think the 2006-10 lineups performed best. I guess even with the UYI line-up it was still a cover, but like KOHD the UYI line-up created the base "sound" that the 2006-10 lineup improved on.

Edited by Amir

Richard is by far the better guitar player than izzy.

Izzy wrote some cool songs, was always the grey man in GNR and no one missed him. Had zero personality on stage and in interviews. He will always be an original member but thats all he gets credit for. He even left cause he knew it wasn't suited for him.

What the huh? I'd say the music kinda missed Izzy, wouldn't you?

Why not both?

I've realized more and more that Izzy was a very integral piece of the old lineup and his writing is something that'll never truly be replaced. That being said though, both Gilby and Richard have been great replacements for him playing wise, with Richard topping them both. It's just a shame that Izzy isn't an arena guy.

In an ideal world, Fortus would replace DJ/team up with BBF for the lead and Izzy would be doing rhythm.

Edited by IRanOutOfIdeas
  • Like 1

They don't screw up the guitar parts as much. People like to romanticize the old days, but the number of times a solo or riff got fucked up is actually quite staggering.

I dare you to find examples of more than just those two. Those are isolated incidents and aside from them there really weren't many screw ups. I'm not trying to romanticize it, thats just the truth. The new band has messed up twice or more as well. And honestly, the new band doesn't mess up more 1, because its much more of a job than feeling the music, and 2, because they are afraid of getting fired if they mess up consistently.

Thats just the truth. But sure, try and find more examples of the old band fucking up and I will counter every one of them with an example from the new band. Yours was an idiotic statement.

You seem a little disgruntled there, chief. The old band had lots of sloppy moments, I'm sorry you're in denial about it. But thank you for that warchild-esque superfan defense. That was really somethin.

But hey, you got me, those are the only two fuckups ever by the old band. Back in reality though, I apparently have seen more shows than you have.

• Like 1

You seem a little disgruntled there, chief. The old band had lots of sloppy moments, I'm sorry you're in denial about it. But thank you for that warchild-esque superfan defense. That was really somethin.

But hey, you got me, those are the only two fuckups ever by the old band. Back in reality though, I apparently have seen more shows than you have.

So, you couldn't find anymore examples, or...

I'd agree, they are a lot less sloppy than the old band.

But I also think that was part of the charm though. The old band got away with it more because their image was kindof drunk, sloppy, and dirty rock n roll.

The new band is a lot more cleaned up and sober, and their album(CD) isnt exactly known for being dirty, gritty, rock n roll like the old band. Its more of a grand production, with a lot of careful craft and a very specific and mechanical execution.

So they have a little less room than the old band to mess up, or be jammy and spontaneous and wild. (In addition to being mostly sober and not having lowered inhibitions)

But I don't think being sloppy or not being sloppy are things that you can objectively say or good or bad, it just depends how you like your live music.

• Like 3

I'd agree, they are a lot less sloppy than the old band.

But I also think that was part of the charm though. The old band got away with it more because their image was kindof drunk, sloppy, and dirty rock n roll.

The new band is a lot more cleaned up and sober, and their album(CD) isnt exactly known for being dirty, gritty, rock n roll like the old band. Its more of a grand production, with a lot of careful craft and a very specific and mechanical execution.

So they have a little less room than the old band to mess up, or be jammy and spontaneous and wild. (In addition to being mostly sober and not having lowered inhibitions)

But I don't think being sloppy or not being sloppy are things that you can objectively say or good or bad, it just depends how you like your live music.

Couldn't agree more. Some of the most revered songs and performances in music history are the most sloppy. Let me put it this way; if someone came out at Woodstock and played a note perfect rendition of The Star Spangled Banner, do you think it would be as popular as the "sloppy" Hendrix version?

• Like 1

I get that. But I'm also saying that the original band didn't mess up as much as some Axl worshippers like to claim. For what its worth, the amount of drugs and alcohol those guys were on, they played insanely well, and the argument that they messed up all the time and were sloppy are inaccurate ways of making the current band look better. The current band messes up too, yet when you bring that up they claim its not as bad as when the original band did it. Aside from those two very cliched videos at this point of Slash messing up, the original band really didn't screw up live all that much (in a glaring way similar to those videos) and if they did they have done it just as much as the current band. Its a myth that is spread nowadays that unfortunately some people actually believe.