Zakk Wylde with Guns N' Roses.

Like Zakk himself said in 1995 "One of the riffs ended up on the first Black Label Society record Sonic Brew, on the track 'Rose-Petalled Garden'. The stuff that I wanted to do, eventually, would have been like GNR on steroids, man."

Edited by CharlieSheen

With Axls guiding rose petalled garden could have been a cool Guns song, kind of like a heavier "The Garden". Probably a little too sludgy, but Axl would have probably sang it in a different key as well as changing a lot of the song.

Like Zakk himself said in 1995 "One of the riffs ended up on the first Black Label Society record Sonic Brew, on the track 'Rose-Petalled Garden'. The stuff that I wanted to do, eventually, would have been like GNR on steroids, man."

That song falls so far below the standard that I hold GNR and Axl's songwriting to.

It wouldn't have worked. Zakk's style doesn't fit GN'R at all.

Many thought Buckethead and Fincks style didn't either.

I still remain of the same opinion about Finck. Buckethead, on the other hand, is a very versatile musician, which Zakk is not.

It wouldn't have worked. Zakk's style doesn't fit GN'R at all.

Many thought Buckethead and Fincks style didn't either.

I still remain of the same opinion about Finck. Buckethead, on the other hand, is a very versatile musician, which Zakk is not.

I get you, I remember when Buckethead was announced as GN'R's guitarist, a lot of heads turned because of his look and sheer style as a guitar virtuoso. He is undoubtedly versatile, but stage presence wasn't ever there. Many thought it wouldn't fit. I loved Buckethead here and he did a great job, but ultimately Zakk had the look and style for a new GN'R guitarist IMO and would have been a perfect replacement. Me personally, I think Zakk would've fit because he is more metal/rock oriented. But obviously this isn't the direction Axl wanted to go.

Saw this when i was reading Duff's book "Zakk... brought energy and enthusiasm that was lacking within Guns at the time. 'We can build on the legacy,' he said excitedly. 'We can make something great. Listen to this.' He saw a piano against the wall and sat down and elegantly played it. I had no idea he could play piano at all, much less like this. We recorded a few demos with him, but nothing panned out."

It's a shame we'll never hear those demos as they'll probably remain locked away in Axl's mythical vault gathering dust never to be heard.

So Axl invited you down and asked you to write some songs and play?
"Yeah - he said, `Dude, why don't you come and write some songs and we'll see what happens. If it works out, great, it'd be a blast'. He just said, `Hey, maybe we'll be in a band together!'. So we jammed together for just over a week, we jammed over a whole bunch of shit and came out with three pretty cool ideas. That was with the whole band: Axl, Slash, Dizzy, Duff, Matt and me. We were all just jammin' together and havin' a blast.

"That's where it pretty much stands right now-things are up in the air. I mean, I have crazy shit happening with my stuff. I'm also doing my work with Oz and there's no telling what will happen in the future. I think the guys in Guns are f**kin' awesome, and hangin' with Axl when I have, we've had a f**kin' great time talkin' and jammin'."

"When I talked with Axl I said it'd be way cool that Slash and I could do harmonies together, crazy shit that'd be fun to play, and the whole band ended up jammin'."

You and Slash.
"That's right. He said it sounded f**kin' killer. He's got a batch of good ideas, piano things that sound really cool. I have a bunch and I look forward to jammin' some more, seeing if they work out.

"But it's all up in the air right now, I ain't a member of Guns N' Roses. Who knows what'll happen, but if the guys say after a record that it would be great if I'd do the tour then that'd be great, but who knows?"

Has the stuff you've got together with Guns been Metal or more Southern sounding?
"A mixture of both, really. The stuff we've been dicking around with is just heavy hardcore stuff with the whole band jamming it. But I'm having a good time, and I'll tell ya, the only thing that'd stop me from doin' the Oz record, my own thing and jammin' with Guns is if I was a lazy asshole who watched TV and drunk beer all f**kin' day!"

(Kerrang! 530 January 28, 1995 Kerrang! 530 January 28, 1995)

Edited by Daedalus