I'm bored with the topics currently so bare with my attempt to start some convo please lol.

I think the current band has a pretty cool and talented group of guitarists right now. I'm not trying to start a bashing of what they have done so far in GnR but more praising each of them as cool musicians in their own right!

So in everyone's opinion what bands are out there with a better group of guitarists then Current GNR (tommy,DJ,Fortus,and bumble)

I don't follow a ton of bands so plz feel free to post me some great vids and songs of awesome guitarists and their work!!! Go ! Go! Go!

ib4 Anyone > Dj Ashba

lol indeed. Question, do you believe Dj is so bad that he brings down the group that much? I too hate his look so much (if he rid himself of the makeup/tophat id be cool with him) and prefer fink, but i believe the combo of Bumble, Fortus, and Stinson is pretty killer! Dj is like the mascot/crowd pleaser/ entrepreneur and doesnt rly bring them down as a whole in my eyes.

The problem isn't the image or dance moves it's that he isn't a good player.

Anyway...

another group with great players, Maiden, The Darkness, Whitesnake (both of which would rip your face off with a lick given half a chance), Avenged sevenfold can hold their own, The eagles.

Guitar trios and duos or just great guitar bands? I think of a lot more bands that might only have one guitar player or bands with a guy who plays the lead and the other takes rhythm, that list would have a good few.

The guys in GnR are shit hot, Richard and Ron can hang with the best of them and then some... it would take a unnatural player to stump Bumble. I can't think of a group with players as good as the current guns, I know there's a few out there but I'm limiting my list to bands that are still musical/melodic

Iron Maiden's guitarists are some of the best I've heard because it's not mindless shred guitar, though they can definitely do that. They use a lot of harmonies which add so much to the songs. Everyone knows Maiden's greatness.

Dave Mustaine/Chris Broderick are the best guitarists in thrash metal, IMO and Megadeth has such an awesome back catalog, featuring amazing players such as Marty Friedman and Chris Poland.

The best guitarist that not a lot of people have heard of probably is Ihsahn, a Norwegian guitarist/vocalist who used to have a band called Emperor and does his solo stuff now. He's phenomenal and the best in the business today.

• Like 1

Anyway...

another group with great players, Maiden, The Darkness, Whitesnake (both of which would rip your face off with a lick given half a chance), Avenged sevenfold can hold their own, The eagles.

Guitar trios and duos or just great guitar bands? I think of a lot more bands that might only have one guitar player or bands with a guy who plays the lead and the other takes rhythm, that list would have a good few.

The guys in GnR are shit hot, Richard and Ron can hang with the best of them and then some... it would take a unnatural player to stump Bumble. I can't think of a group with players as good as the current guns, I know there's a few out there but I'm limiting my list to bands that are still musical/melodic

Anything be it a trio or duo or a solo guy who does it all! Basically any other band currently with guitarist(s) you think trumps the current assembly of guys Guns has.

I really like Ron Richard and Tommy. My fav being Richard!

Ive never checked out The Darkness any songs u suggest? i think Avenged is gona be in my town soon for a festival gig lol kid rock is headlining it :D

ib4 Anyone > Dj Ashba

lol indeed. Question, do you believe Dj is so bad that he brings down the group that much? I too hate his look so much (if he rid himself of the makeup/tophat id be cool with him) and prefer fink, but i believe the combo of Bumble, Fortus, and Stinson is pretty killer! Dj is like the mascot/crowd pleaser/ entrepreneur and doesnt rly bring them down as a whole in my eyes.

I think that BBF and Fortus do an excellent work. Ashba is unnecessary.

Why GNR needs a mascot????? Why GNR needs a crowd pleaser? Why GNR needs a poser?

A proper mix of good musicians + Axl, it's fine.

Edited by SeBaZ

Anyway...

Anything be it a trio or duo or a solo guy who does it all! Basically any other band currently with guitarist(s) you think trumps the current assembly of guys Guns has.

Ive never checked out The Darkness any songs u suggest? i think Avenged is gona be in my town soon for a festival gig lol kid rock is headlining it :D

I'd recommend them if you like the theatrics of Queen, the pomp of def leppard and the punch of old AC/DC... his voice is very british and he likes the high falsetto/head voice which people either love or hate. Permission to Land (strongly recommend, some great playing and fantastic songwriting) the most complete album, best songs almost the entire thing but you can't go wrong with the singles, 'I believe in a thing called love" "love is only a feeling" "growing on me" "get your hands off my woman (motherfucker) and this wasn't a single but it's killer "Friday night". every album has some great moments, like the 2nd album one way ticket... the songs "is it just me" "Girlfriend" and "knockers" are all really cool songs. Classic 2nd album dip scenario but worth a look, the latest one is cool as well.

Edited by Tom2112

Anyway...

I'd recommend them if you like the theatrics of Queen, the pomp of def leppard and the punch of old AC/DC... his voice is very british and he likes the high falsetto/head voice which people either love or hate. Permission to Land (strongly recommend, some great playing and fantastic songwriting) the most complete album, best songs almost the entire thing but you can't go wrong with the singles, 'I believe in a thing called love" "love is only a feeling" "growing on me" "get your hands off my woman (motherfucker) and this wasn't a single but it's killer "Friday night". every album has some great moments, like the 2nd album one way ticket... the songs "is it just me" "Girlfriend" and "knockers" are all really cool songs. Classic 2nd album dip scenario but worth a look, the latest one is cool as well.

ah i have heard 'I believe in a thing called love' and i really enjoy it (Videos awesome lol)! ill check out some of your suggestions thanks!

The Eagles. Different style, but complete masters of the instrument.

Sry i know nothing of he Eagles honestly (I should though) lol can you name the guitarists for me to check them out (there wiki is long as fuk)! Are the current guitarists the original i think im gathering from wiki the are not?

Sry i know nothing of he Eagles honestly (I should though) lol can you name the guitarists for me to check them out (there wiki is long as fuk)! Are the current guitarists the original i think im gathering from wiki the are not?

Their list of members shouldn't be long as fuk. There's been 3 main guitarists in the Eagles. Bernie Leadon, who was the original guitarist and has more of a country rock feel but a very skilled musician. Don Felder, who brought a lot more of a harder rock sound to most of their songs and is responsible for example for the Hotel California riff, among others. And Joe Walsh, who is a madman guitarist and brings an even further rock edge to their music. I guess there's also Glenn Frey who plays some lead guitar work, but the other 3 were their designed specific guitar players.

Don Felder is the only one not currently in the group anymore. Bernie just recently came back for their History Of The Eagles tour and is used in the first half of their set, as well as the encores, for the songs they he recorded while in the band. I guess its possible wikipedia lists their backing musicians they have now like Stuart Smith or whatever who "technically" replaced Don Felder, but those guys aren't actually members of the band or featured prominently during the concerts.

Their list of members shouldn't be long as fuk. There's been 3 main guitarists in the Eagles. Bernie Leadon, who was the original guitarist and has more of a country rock feel but a very skilled musician. Don Felder, who brought a lot more of a harder rock sound to most of their songs and is responsible for example for the Hotel California riff, among others. And Joe Walsh, who is a madman guitarist and brings an even further rock edge to their music. I guess there's also Glenn Frey who plays some lead guitar work, but the other 3 were their designed specific guitar players.

Don Felder is the only one not currently in the group anymore. Bernie just recently came back for their History Of The Eagles tour and is used in the first half of their set, as well as the encores, for the songs they he recorded while in the band. I guess its possible wikipedia lists their backing musicians they have now like Stuart Smith or whatever who "technically" replaced Don Felder, but those guys aren't actually members of the band or featured prominently during the concerts.

Cool thanks for info! You think their current guys are better then GnRs?

Edited by Estranged Coma

I don't know exactly what you mean by current. If you mean the backup guys that I mentioned that don't get much attention, then no I don't think they are better players than GNRs. If you mean current as in the current 3 guitarists of Joe Walsh, Bernie Leadon and kind of Glenn Frey/Staurt Smith, then yes I think they are better than GNR. But its a totally different dynamic. For the most part, those guys wrote the songs and guitar parts they are playing, so they are really into it and its like watching Slash play a GNR song. It just feels right. The Eagles also have a really good way of weaving in and out of each other's guitar solos so that their sound just is really fluid and great. On a technical note, I'm sure the current GNR guitarists are better, but they are also hired guns and are playing what they are paid to play. You'd never see any member of GNR play with even an ounce of the emotion Joe Walsh does on stage with the Eagles, and to me that is the more important aspect.

But yes, the Eagles guitarists are very accomplished and have a style of playing that really suits those guys that doesn't sound cluttered on stage. I would say they're better, but again they are also playing their own material and I know their abilities that way so its a totally different league.

If there is something I would praise about current GNR, it is that they do have a very good lineup of technical guitarists. The guys themselves seem like excellent and talented players, and the main problem is that being in this band they don't ever really get to show their full potential. Thats Axl's fault, not theirs, so yes on a level I could agree with you that they are one of the more technically talented guitar lineups touring these days. But again, playing someone else's music which can't really be stressed enough.

Edit: Excellent post above mine. Couldn't agree more.

Not better. They play differently. But they're an equally good trio, whoever the third is at the time.

Richard and Ron really are phenomenal together. All the jams are led by them. Fortus' KOHD is my favorite rendition they've done. It's great on the 2011 LA show (pretty decent show, actually).

I also like the fact that Ron plays the songs closer to their recordings now than he did in 2006. He still takes liberties, but the solos aren't all shredding all the time anymore. I actually wish these two would take the Better and This I Love solos from DJ.

Edited by DaneisKing1389

Megadeth always has phenomenal guitarists slotting alongside the frenetic wizardry of Mustaine, these guys aren't just mindless shredders either, they're well rounded, educated and unique players - Chris Poland, Marty Friedman, Al Pitrelli, Jeff Young, Glen Drover (probs the weakest but sounded ridiculously good nonetheless), Chris Broderick. If you listen to their solos, they are high caliber, emotive and aggressive, they hit the heights and then some. Live they all have the chops too, that's pretty tough in a band with fans as critical as the droogs.

Opeth have always been out there with Akerfeldt and co coming up with some stunning melodies, buzzsaw riffs and just perfect harmonies and solos, consistently being outside the box yet retaining their signature sound. The last release was such a departure yet it.. wasn't too. This man is a musical genius and he always has his partner in crime chiming in with a bag of tricks. Peter was a smooth operator on the axe and this new guy Fredrik has fit seamlessly in and there's no degrading to the Opeth core, still spooky, ephemeral, bizarre... they always seem to have the hang of that strange pocket of turbulent air. It's all in the atmosphere woven by the acoustics and harmonies.

I agree that Richard, Ron, and even Ashba make for a pretty formidable guitar combination. Honestly none of the bands anyone has mentioned has better "guitar talent". Mostly because of BBF though. That dude can play anything, he is a complete badass. I like Richard, he's pretty damn good also, but BBF is who really makes them dangerous. Honestly the only bands with better guitar players are Van Halen (cause Eddie is still Eddie) and anyband with Vai, Malmsteen, Satriani, Buckethead, and perhaps Slash, perhaps.

I prefer guys like Slash, Joe Perry, Angus, and other blues inspired guys, but I wouldn't say they are "better" than BBF. They have aspects of their playing I prefer, they wrote better songs, ect. but that doesn't mean they are better actual guitar players. I know this seems to contradict some of my recent posts on this topic, but I saw Malmsteen on that metal show the other day, and he is about as good as humanly possible. His style and music is nowhere near my favorite, but for a dude playing a guitar, their isn't anyone better.