I agree that Richard, Ron, and even Ashba make for a pretty formidable guitar combination. Honestly none of the bands anyone has mentioned has better "guitar talent".

I wouldn't say that, I give a lot of props to the Maiden guys for giving each other the perfect platform to shine together, much more natural chemistry/balance than I see in the 3 Guns guys. Someone mentioned Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach of Whitesnake, those two are good enough to take over anyone's lead spot, chops for days and they compliment each other well.

Vai had this touring lineup of Tony McAlpine, Dave Weiner, and Billy Sheehan that was incredible together. Haven't seen anything like it since.

I agree that Richard, Ron, and even Ashba make for a pretty formidable guitar combination. Honestly none of the bands anyone has mentioned has better "guitar talent".

I wouldn't say that, I give a lot of props to the Maiden guys for giving each other the perfect platform to shine together, much more natural chemistry/balance than I see in the 3 Guns guys. Someone mentioned Doug Aldrich and Reb Beach of Whitesnake, those two are good enough to take over anyone's lead spot, chops for days and they compliment each other well.

Vai had this touring lineup of Tony McAlpine, Dave Weiner, and Billy Sheehan that was incredible together. Haven't seen anything like it since.

Very cool insight guys thanks!

Seems Maiden guitarists are getting a lot of love here!

@Moreblack,

I agree that both Maiden and Whitesnakes guitar players are great, but I do think BBF is better than all of them individually. For me, BBF is a virtuoso, he is the cream of the crop technically. Richard is above average, and Ashba has a good tone. I'll give him that. But having BBF does bring them up in quality imo.

But I agree that whomever Vai or Satriani or Malmsteen is playing with, those are the best "guitar bands."

Edited by Mike420

@Moreblack,

I agree that both Maiden and Whitesnakes guitar players are great, but I do think BBF is better than all of them individually. For me, BBF is a virtuoso, he is the cream of the crop technically. Richard is above average, and Ashba has a good tone. I'll give him that. But having BBF does bring them up in quality imo.

But I agree that whomever Vai or Satriani or Malmsteen is playing with, those are the best "guitar bands."

Thing is, with Satch and Yngwie, usually there is only themselves as lead guitarist. There's no one to trade with or develop any kind of partnership or chemistry.

@Moreblack,

Very true, the same goes for Van Halen. But I still would take one Eddie, or one Vai, over all three from the eagles or both from Maiden and Whitesnake. But that's just me, not trying to create another guitar war thread :)

What's wrong with a guitar war?? :)

So Eddie or Vai over eagles maiden whitesnake and current Guns? Rank them for me if you are bored enough to do so lol

I'd take Randy Rhodes over Eddie anyday. Eddie was all wank, albeit very good at it. Randy had feeling, wank, and an ear for writing a good song.

I still think Maiden's guitarists are some of the best out there but I guess part of that is because they are one of my favorite bands of all time so I'm somewhat biased.

Hell, I think Slash is better than all of Axl's current guitarists.

Edited by SlashisGOD

For me, Eddie Van Halen is the best guitarist you can go and see that is still playing. I'm assuming you want people that it is still possible to go and see, not all time. If so here is my 2014 list of best guitar concerts to attend:

1. Van Halen

2. NUgnr (this choice is because of the songs, and partly BBF)

3. Slash

4. Prince

5. AC/DC (if they do in fact tour)

6. Yngwie Malmsteen

7. Steve Vai

8. Satriani or chickefoot, whichever you can see.

9. Buckethead

10. Aerosmith (again because of the songs)

HM: Jeff Beck, BB King, Iron Maiden, Whitesnake

• Like 1

I'd take Randy Rhodes over Eddie anyday. Eddie was all wank, albeit very good at it. Randy had feeling, wank, and an ear for writing a good song.

I still think Maiden's guitarists are some of the best out there but I guess part of that is because they are one of my favorite bands of all time so I'm somewhat biased.

Hell, I think Slash is better than all of Axl's current guitarists.

See these are what starts the "guitar wars" I spoke of....

Randy was great, a true legend of the instrument. But EVH is in the revolutionary catagory, Randy was not. Eddie was all wank, lol. The man has one of the best, and most unique "feels" for instrument ever, period.

Slash featuring Myles Kennedy and the conspirators.

Who are the other guitar players involved with them? Not a fan of any vids I've seen of Myles singing gnr but I hear he was cool with alter bridge..

O wait nvm I absolutely loved his performance when he took over for Markie Mark in that movie :D

Edited by Estranged Coma

Technically BBF is a lot better than most guitar players but you can say the same for a lot of the ppl on youtube or

wherever (I remember reading something about 'MIT guitarists)

To me, this lineup isn't shit unless / until they actually do something (granted, it's out of their control) I admittedly

haven't listened to much of BBF's solo stuff though. Don't get me wrong, I think they have a lot of potential there,

at least more than some people seem to give them credit for. To be completely honest though I just don't get the

same "aura" or whatever you want to call it from these guys that I got from Bucket or Finck, those 2 had exactly

what Axl needed. Finck to sorta capture Slash'smore bluesy feel as well as the ability to do the more

contemporary / industrial stuff and then Bucket to basically take things to the next level. Then again, with Finck

and Bucket it was a completely different situation.

Edited by jbhutto

There's a bunch of players that are better than the GNR players but a lot of them have already been named. I'm gonna throw Rory Gallagher into the pile though, since, you know, my profile picture and whatnot.

In terms of a three-guitar dynamic, I'd agree I'm more of an Eagles guy and there's no denying Iron Maiden's work. I'm really surprised that Lynyrd Skynyrd hasn't been mentioned. I think Allen Collins is a ridiculously underrated guitar-genius and Gary Rossington is one of the most criminally under-appreciated rhythm guitarists of all time. Ed King was a muscular mastro who could dual with Allen and although Steve Gaines wasn't as powerful, he had a wonderful organic feel that gelled incredibly well with the band.

In terms of GNR, I think Buckethead is a fantastic guitarist but he's way too damn idiosyncratic. He wasn't a great fit for the band. BBF takes some of Buckethead's ability and adds a lot more cohesion to the band dynamic. Richard is also a great fit and I think he's too good for being just a rhythm guy. Sack Ashba and let Richard and BBF take a dual-lead approach; Richard can do the main riffs and Bumble can shred all over it. They have a chemistry like Gary Rossington and Allen Collins had (Although more technically proficient instead of emotional).

I wouldn't mind having Robin back because I think he gelled well with the band, but I'm always gonna feel like he's slightly out of place since he comes from the Industrial music background. DJ doesn't have that problem and although I will admit that he has the image (And he doesn't fuck up the Nightrain solo like Robin did), he's still an average guitarist and a complete fucking tool.

Edited by IRanOutOfIdeas

Just for fun...

With all thid reunion talk, because Duff is playing with Axl, let me go one step further. Honestly how fucking awesome would a Slash/BBF guitar tandom be? I know it would be a little hard for Slash at first, but BBF is a cool dude, and I'm sure he would let Slash do all of his classic stuff, with BBF doing the CD stuff. All BS aside if their is one NUgnr member (excluding Dizzy) that I would want in my ULTIMATE GNR it would be BBF. His presence will never make your band worse, and he does care about the fans. He is the most fan friendly NUgnr member, and Duff really likes him also...

Edited by Mike420
  • Like 1

Just for fun...

With all thid reunion talk, because Duff is playing with Axl, let me go one step further. Honestly how fucking awesome would a Slash/BBF guitar tandom be? I know it would be a little hard for Slash at first, but BBF is a cool dude, and I'm sure he would let Slash do all of his classic stuff, with BBF doing the CD stuff. All BS aside if their is one NUgnr member (excluding Dizzy) that I would want in my ULTIMATE GNR it would be BBF. His presence will never make your band worse, and he does care about the fans. He is the most fan friendly NUgnr member, and Duff really likes him also...

I think it be awesome !! Ya know I don't think Slash would have a problem at all really I mean the fans would go nuts so it wouldn't even matter if he fuked up anything at all.. skill wise I mean DJ is along side bumble as we speak lol.

In my dream land it be Axl Slash Fortus (izzy involves in songwriting so he doesn't have to even tour) Bumble Duff Tommy any drummer (Franks cool). No idea how this would work but it's what I want haha