did steven adler initiate the demise of gnr

seriously here, this might be one of the most controversial areas of discussion of all time in reference to the demise of gnr as we know it

the moment steven gave away 5% to axl was the beginning of the end, the drug abuse and so forth is completely unrelated, its the weak will of popcorn and the fact that axl was being a pissy fit at the time was something that the others should have elbowed out of harms way in support of steven

look, theres a lot of shit to dismantle with this band but in movies there are certain plot points that completely turn a story into a different direction and this one was it, wasn't it

long story short don't let anyone push u around

Here come the Adler bashers out in full force. Dude still has millions and is a rock and roll hall of famer.I doubt he'd give two fucks about our opinions especially those of people who were barely born when he was kicking ass with Guns. No matter what you Gn'R-educators say Steven will always be considered the true drummer for the band.

Edited by xGNRxSTARx

Steven gave away 5%. He did not get 5%, he got 15%.

The breakdown on royalties for the Appetite for Destruction era Guns N' Roses was...

Axl: 25%

Duff, Izzy, and Slash: 20%

Steven: 15%

Also worth mentioning is that Steven and Slash tell vastly different stories about how this arrangement came to be. Slash claims, in his book, that Axl steadfastly refused to sign off on the necessary paper work until Steven's royalties were reduced as he was just the drummer, and did not necessarily contribute to songwriting as much as everyone else. Steven's story says that Axl simply wanted a higher cut of the royalties because he wrote the lyrics to the album; it's a very common practice for the main lyricist(s) in a band to get more royalties than other members. According to Steven, he gave up his 5% in hopes that Izzy, Slash, and Duff (not wanting Steven to be screwed over) would each give up a point of royalties making the breakdown

Axl: 24%

Steven, Slash, Duff, and Izzy: 19%

Steven's story has Slash, Izzy, and Duff chickening out and not giving up their points to make a more equitable deal for Steven. I am not sure if any story is the definitive truth, but I'd have to go with the reality being closer to Adler's recollection, as much of Slash's book is made to make it look like everyone but Slash was responsible for the demise of the classic lineups of the band.

To answer the original poster's question, no I do not think this is what led to the dissolution of the band. Appetite for Destruction was successful enough and the band was bringing in enough money on the road and through merchandise that everyone was justly compensated. Like most people, I would peg the dissolution of the band coming from substance abuse, a core member of the band getting bored and quitting, the egos of the singer and lead guitarist, and the general sleaziness of many of the people who hung around the band.

Steven Adler is always so quick to ride Slash's tip yet please remember that when it came down, Slash was among the first ready to fire Stevie and the last guy to sign the termination papers was Axl. And this is after Steven almost killed Erin Everly with drugs. Know [your] fucking history. Slash QUIT Guns N' Roses after his solo projects flopped. Geffen Records President Eddie Rosenblatt literally begged Axl to keep the door open for Slash. And Axl did so what happened? Slash came back for some writing down at the studio, totally negative and belligerent, quits the fucking band and then publicly spins it into somehow he got pushed out. Didnt go down that way, man.

http://www.mudkiss.com/deljames.htm

Del James : FAIR & BALANCED

Nonetheless, the bit about the signing of the termination papers is certainly interesting.

Yeah, it was pretty groundbreaking the way he defended Axl and took shots at the others. I was taken aback, let me tell ya.

It reminds of those contracts MLS brought up a while ago beliving people would give a crap. I don't think we need anymore proof that Slash is a Double Talking Jive Motherfucker Media Whore!! But yeah, if someone really has the spare time, that could be verified...

ok i agree with izzy leaving but the start of it as steven claims, which seems to be true, is axl pushing the others to get 5 extra points and steven caving in...the others not backing him up or pushing back on axl is a weak dynamic

the doors split even all 4 ways - theres now way u coudl say densmore should get the same as the rest but its a BAND - equal shit

Nonetheless, the bit about the signing of the termination papers is certainly interesting.

Yeah, it was pretty groundbreaking the way he defended Axl and took shots at the others. I was taken aback, let me tell ya.

Like I said before, I do believe it might be possible to verify that Axl was the last one to sign the termination papers for Steven.

Like I said before, I do believe it might be possible to verify that Axl was the last one to sign the termination papers for Steven.

But what does it add of significance? It all seemed to be a roundabout way to take a shot as Slash, who is, of course, the Antichrist.

• Like 1

I don't think so. Alder at the time, was toxic to the band and could not even make rehearsals because he was so strung out on drugs. That indeed was a band decision and was the right one IMO

That said, I wish Adler would have gotten his act together because he will always be my favorite drummer for the band. Sorum was a damn good replacement though and sounded great during those large UYI tours and the recordings of the albums.

• Like 1

But what does it add of significance? It all seemed to be a roundabout way to take a shot as Slash, who is, of course, the Antichrist.

I just posted a quote, bro. The topic's about Adler's departure. The quote I posted is about Adler's departure... from someone who was there at the time.

You guys are free to continue with the ad hominem reasoning to your heart's content. And I freely admit that ad hominem is not always a fallacy, so calling into question Del's credibility is fair play. Have at it.