I wont lie....

I'm a massive Guns supporter. Ilike Tommy. But Duff has me on the ropes. That felt like a blast from the past. I honestly haven't seen that energy and happiness from Tommy for a while. Axl sounds amazing as always, but Duff ugh.... I need you.___

I don't think the old (Post 2000) band can go back after these shows, they are going to be really bad, I am sure Duff is putting life into the crowd and Axl, seeing a Guns N Roses without any of the originals other then Axl is going to be horrible after these shows

Edited by k12

I'm a massive Guns supporter. Ilike Tommy. But Duff has me on the ropes. That felt like a blast from the past. I honestly haven't seen that energy and happiness from Tommy for a while. Axl sounds amazing as always, but Duff ugh.... I need you.___

I've said this a few times before, most notably about the HOF thing. But playing with the old band will unintentionally yet completely bury the new band.

And I think Axl knows it. He wouldn't do it because he knows that everything he's been trying to build would become pointless.

It'd be like going back to Budweiser after having a couple of heavy Belgian beers.

Edited by username
  • Like 2

I don't think the old (Post 2000) band can go back after these shows, they are going to be really bad, I am sure Duff is putting life into the crowd and Axl, seeing a Guns N Roses without any of the originals other then Axl is going to be horrible after these shows

I disagree. I don't think its gonna end up having a lasting effect. I mean yes, thats absolutely how people SHOULD feel, but things will go back to normal once Duff is gone.

Honestly, its perfect for them to do this in South America. Those guys will be fine with anything, so they get a treat now, but they'll still love it next year when the band is back without Duff. If GNR did this in North America, I think it would get much more attention and it would be impossible for them to turn back from. People will convince themselves after this short South America one there is still a chance. Maybe 10% of the people that didn't already think that might chance their minds now, but this won't change much. Again, it helps because its South America and not many here are actually seeing it with their own eyes.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

I've said this a few times before, most notably about the HOF thing. But playing with the old band will unintentionally yet completely bury the new band.

And I think Axl knows it. He wouldn't do it because he knows that everything he's been trying to build would become pointless.

It'd be like going back to Budweiser after having a couple of heavy Belgian beers.

that's part of it, maybe also they aren't willing to commit to it really/incapable of it. With Slash especially seeming like he'd rather do what he's doing. obviously in a perfect world world where Axl could let them do what they wanted and they delivered and he delivered a great record and tour with no hitches..then maybe if you could guarantee success they'd do it. At the moment they can suckle at the feet of nostalgia safe in the knowledge that they legends. You can see why they wouldn't really be up for going back into the jungle for another tour of duty.

:crazy:

• Like 1

I frequently hear this same ridiculous claim in response to any notion of Gn'R reunion, partly or wholly, and it leaves me scratching my head. What exactly has he done since 1997 that amounts to an effort to build a band? Is it the 12+ years he spent tinkering with Chinese Democracy, which only ever saw the light of day because Geffen forced it and would never have taken place if it had been up to him? Is it the lack of promotion of songs through singles and clips? Is it the lack of willingness to promptly release new music for fans to listen to? These are all far removed from the notion of building a band and anyone who considers this as an effort to build a band should immediately undergo a brain surgery, or better yet turn a .45 and blow their brains out.

Edited by Screamin' Demon
  • Like 3

I frequently hear this same ridiculous claim in response to any notion of Gn'R reunion, partly or wholly, and it leaves me scratching my head. What exactly has he done since 1997 that amounts to an effort to build a band? Is it the 12+ years he spent tinkering with Chinese Democracy, which only ever saw the light of day because Geffen forced it and would never have taken place if it had been up to him? Is it the lack of promotion of songs through singles and clips? Is it the lack of willingness to promptly release new music for fans to listen to? These are all far removed from the notion of building a band and anyone who considers this as an effort to build a band should immediately undergo a brain surgery, or better yet turn a .45 and blow their brains out.

I'd be the last person on this forum to defend or excuse the lack of productivity or the state Guns n' Roses is in. But yes. Some people might feel that he's failed miserably, but from 1997 until now he has been doing just that - trying to rebuild Guns n' Roses. In his way.

Edited by username

I said it in the Buenos Aires thread. I love Tommy, he's one of my favorite members of the current band and I think he's a huge asset. But seeing these pictures and videos of Duff up there and everyone seems to be having a great time, this just feels so right to me. I'm not saying I want a full blown reunion or anything. But this lineup with Duff could be something great I think.

• Like 1

I'd be the last person on this forum to defend or excuse the lack of productivity or the state Guns n' Roses is in. But yes. Some people might feel that he's failed miserably, but from 1997 until now he has been doing just that - trying to rebuild Guns n' Roses. In his way.

Then he should stop trying and acknowledge two things: one he failed, and two he can't build Guns N' Roses without Guns N' Roses.

If they only played post Slash material or just a couple of numbers and had released albums of their own music as GNR then fair enough, you'd think they are standing on their own two feet and it's unfair to compare them to the real GNR.

But when it's basically all Slash era songs with a sprinkle of CD and (sorry to bring it up again but it's true) one of the guitarists dresses like ( a teenygoth) Slash and apes his moves and poses onstage...that's not exactly trying to escape the shadow or stigma of the old band, is it?

New Coke anybody?

• Like 1

If they only played post Slash material or just a couple of numbers and had released albums of their own music as GNR then fair enough, you'd think they are standing on their own two feet and it's unfair to compare them to the real GNR.

But when it's basically all Slash era songs with a sprinkle of CD and (sorry to bring it up again but it's true) one of the guitarists dresses like ( a teenygoth) Slash and apes his moves and poses onstage...that's not exactly trying to escape the shadow or stigma of the old band, is it?

New Coke anybody?

You can't expect Axl rose to go out on tour and not sing Sweet child or Jungle... crowds are going to be pissed and it just wouldn't work. If Axl fronted a smaller band like STP or someone and that fell apart he could probably go out a play whatever he liked, maybe adding an old song here and there. Even Axl solo would have to play the old songs, sweet child, jungle, November rain etc.

If Guns released more new material the old would still dominate the set, most people who attend guns shows, myself included want to hear old material, I also like to hear new material and I love CD... but I don't expect a set list filled with new tracks because it's just not a good idea regardless of how you spin it.

On Topic: I like Tommy too, but Duff just plays the role so well... why get the understudy when you can have the lead. I don't know if Duff would consider a rejoining permanently but this taste of things is the best thing to happen to Guns in a long, long time and I don't even care that much for a reunion, big supporter of the new band, but come on!!!!

Edited by Tom2112

Hagar era Van Halen only played a couple of DLR songs, Sabbath with Dio only did around half a dozen, Blizzard Of Ozz only played 3 Sabbath tracks...it's been done.

I agree with you though, and I think it reinforces the point that Axl's GNR is never going to escape the legacy of the real deal.

I know it's been done, and I agree but I can't imagine seeing Axl and not hearing the majority of those songs... maybe brownstone and some of those othe one's shouldn't be essential songs each show. I get what you're saying. Maybe if they release more we'll get a more diverse set that doesn't lean on the AFD/UYI material so much.

Some of you are out of your fuckin' mind. Duff played his first full show in 21 years - obviously his enthusiasm is going to dwarf somebody that's been touring with GNR for 5 straight years.

If Duff was playing with this band for a sustained period of time, I can guarantee you that this honeymoon feeling would eventually fade.

The only thing that can truly appease the fans on any permanent basis is if Axl publicly commits to a new record.

• Like 1

Duff doesn't want to make full time commitments to any band otherwise he'd still be the Janes Addiction bassist. It's good that he's hanging with the band members, because that all opens up other opportunities to work with them outside of the GNR bubble.

But what he does have over the rest of them is a history with Axl that goes back almost 30 years. We also have to remember he was the last piece in the puzzle that brought GNR together in the first place.

I said it in the Buenos Aires thread. I love Tommy, he's one of my favorite members of the current band and I think he's a huge asset. But seeing these pictures and videos of Duff up there and everyone seems to be having a great time, this just feels so right to me. I'm not saying I want a full blown reunion or anything. But this lineup with Duff could be something great I think.

By that virtue, wouldn't it feel even more right if Izzy or Slash joined them on stage?

I'm having a hard time following this logic that GN'R won't be able to function as it does...kinda...now, with Duff being back in the band because he is back for a few shows.

Like 2006 and 2012 with Izzy, right?

For fuck's sake it's even been done with Duff before in 2010 and 2011.

GN'R will go right back to functioning as it has been for years now. This isn't like Ace Frehley and Peter Criss coming back to KISS for MTV Unplugged! A reunion won't be forced because the fans want it, the only time a reunion would happen is because Axl wants it.

Yeah, fans will always remember and want the original band members to reunite, but I don't know if it'll happen?

I think maybe being older it might work better. It would be interesting to see if writing new music with Duff or Izzy would make a difference to Axl's performances.

It's in Axl's hands, it always has been. I think he and Slash need to go to counseling and see if they can just work together, but not necessary be friends. A lot of bands just play and go their separate ways. Gene and Paul of Kiss have their own buses, but on stage they rock it.

All of you people saying "Izzy played with band before, or Duff played in 2010" it's not the same thing. Bo5h of those were for just a song or two, this is for the whole show, for multiple shows. It's not the same thing. Those other performaces were "guest apperances" this is Duff actually seeing what it's like to be in gnr in 2014, not the same thing at all. Why no one else has pointed this out is beyond me...

All of you people saying "Izzy played with band before, or Duff played in 2010" it's not the same thing. Bo5h of those were for just a song or two, this is for the whole show, for multiple shows. It's not the same thing. Those other performaces were "guest apperances" this is Duff actually seeing what it's like to be in gnr in 2014, not the same thing at all. Why no one else has pointed this out is beyond me...

I agree. Plus they seem to have special T-shirts made for those five shows with Duff, they tag tweets with DuffIsBack, so the band is treating it differently too imo.

• Like 1