Absolutely shocking performance by Dj Ashba in Buenos Aires

Guest NGOG

I don't get why Fortus doesn't get more leads, just take 4 or 5 off Ashba and the quality will improve, not like anyone at the show cares which guitarist plays them cause it isn't Slash. Surely Axl knows it'd sound better the more he gives to Fortus and BBF.

Word.

I don't see why DJ is so insistent on playing the TIL solo. Yes, it's a chance to shine... if you can actually play it. I remember before the Taipei gig there was some interview with him where someone asked what his favourite solo to play was and he said TIL. Was not expecting it to sound so awful at the Taipei show after that comment, and definitely didn't foresee him giving up and changing the solo entirely for subsequent shows. Wish Finck had played TIL instead of Better at the Hollywood 2012 gig, we've already heard Finck play his Better solo live but it's a damn shame we'll probably never hear him play TIL. Hell, just let Bumble play the damn solo like it's supposed to be played.

Yeah the only positive of that performance by Ashba is that he at least "tried" to play the recorded version. But that was one and done because he blew it so bad. Disappointing.

Only Slash can play the Slash GN'R stuff like it should be played..

Likewise, only Robin can play the TIL solo..

..as for BF, while he ain't a patch on Buckethead..

The more i think about it, the more it appears GN'R ='s a big hole that just gets bigger, bigger beyond repair.. with Axl at the helm ;D

DJ's got a great chemistry with Axl and has some good stage charisma. Enough for me.

it might be for you, but most of us want a decent sound, as is usually the case with music..

Never going to understand this mentality from Bucket fans. Ron plays Slash's material better than Bucket, plays Bucket's material studio perfect, which is something we've never even seen Bucket do and plays his own material flawlessly; another thing nobody knows if Bucket can do. I can see somebody preferring Bucket, and I have no issue with that whatsoever, but to call him a better guitarist has no merit behind it.

• Like 1

Never going to understand this mentality from Bucket fans. Ron plays Slash's material better than Bucket, plays Bucket's material studio perfect, which is something we've never even seen Bucket do and plays his own material flawlessly; another thing nobody knows if Bucket can do. I can see somebody preferring Bucket, and I have no issue with that whatsoever, but to call him a better guitarist has no merit behind it.

I would agree with that.

I think that Bucket is probably a better technician on the guitar than Bumble.

But Bumble is a better guitar player in terms of a band setting.

Yngve Malsteen (or however you spell it) can do things on a guitar that guys like Slash, Page, May, Clapton, Gilbert can't do. But who would you rather have in your band, adding to a song? Or a Satriani even. Joe is a Guitar God. But his songs are about his guitar playing. A rock song is about the song, the lyrics, the vocals, the bass, etc.

In my opinion, Bucket is probably a better guitar player. But I'm much rather have Bumble fronting my band.

Everyone knows the guy can play guitar to a reasonable degree but it's after that where people are shown up if they aren't as talented as they could be, the guy can do passable solos but it's no further than that and all we have to go on is his other work and whatever else he seems to spend his time doing that eats into time he could be practicing. Bumblefoot has nothing to prove to anyone with the quality and depth of his solo work and no issues whatsoever with the most difficult live solos. Fortus plays his solos without fault, true he isn't in the limelight as much as the other two but he seems solid as hell and does nothing but play guitar it seems. Ashba we are hard on because he gives off so much to irritate the fanbase.

Ha, he never stood a chance on this forum before playing one note for GNR :haha:

And they were damn right.

:vomit: :vomit:

What happened to:

You and I've got what it takes

To make it, We won't fake it,

I'll never break it

'cause I can't take it

?

Don't know, but that jam from Ron and Richard is awesome even with the assclown prancing around.

Can you imagine if BBF or 4TUS came out just to down some Jager and do some whack wrestling camaraderie to big himself up when Ashba and someone else was jamming, the guy has 75% of the attention combined if we don't include Axl but he just needs more.

• Like 1

Can you imagine if BBF or 4TUS came out just to down some Jager and do some whack wrestling camaraderie to big himself up when Ashba and someone else was jamming, the guy has 75% of the attention combined if we don't include Axl but he just needs more.

Aww c'mon he's only 41 years old..........

Everyone knows the guy can play guitar to a reasonable degree but it's after that where people are shown up if they aren't as talented as they could be, the guy can do passable solos but it's no further than that and all we have to go on is his other work and whatever else he seems to spend his time doing that eats into time he could be practicing. Bumblefoot has nothing to prove to anyone with the quality and depth of his solo work and no issues whatsoever with the most difficult live solos. Fortus plays his solos without fault, true he isn't in the limelight as much as the other two but he seems solid as hell and does nothing but play guitar it seems. Ashba we are hard on because he gives off so much to irritate the fanbase.

But the thing is the guy generally isn't passable. He usually fucks up *something* about nearly every solo. If the guy could play guitar passably, we wouldn't be as hard on him. The complaints aren't coming from nowhere, no one is nearly this harsh on Ron or bucket or Robin or Richard. Why? Because they didn't fuck up at least 30 times a show. But DJ either refuses or is incapable of playing the solos as recorded. Compared to the other talent onstage, DJ is leagues below everyone else and it sticks out like a sore thumb. It is only worsened when he points that thumb at himself and screams "ME ME ME LOOK AT ME."

There are leagues of YouTube guitarists better than DJ. There are forum members who could do better than DJ. I remember Slash referred to Paul Tobias as a bedroom guitar player, or something like that. That's DJ, except he raided someone's little goth soster's closet.

Edited by TeeJay410
  • Like 1

I'm trying to cut the guy some slack but you guys keep reminding me there's not much to defend about him apart from his enthusiasm and even that just seems to overcompensate for other areas he is lacking in... the guy has a healthy bank balance and is playing in Guns N' Roses so he's doing something right that cannot be explained.

Ha, he never stood a chance on this forum before playing one note for GNR :haha:

And they were damn right.

:vomit: :vomit:

What happened to:

You and I've got what it takes

To make it, We won't fake it,

I'll never break it

'cause I can't take it

?

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

You made me watch that shit again! But the good? thing is that you were right. Axl fucked up the lyrics once again. :facepalm:

DJ Ashba has the worst tone in the history of electric guitars.

the guy has a healthy bank balance and is playing in Guns N' Roses so he's doing something right that cannot be explained.

If anyone needs evidence that existence is irrational and unfair, there you go.

Edited by TeeJay410
  • Like 1

It begs the question again, what on earth did Axl see in him, he got Buckethead, Finck, Fortus, Bumblefoot and then... Ashba... why?

At the time, on paper I sort of get it. Guy had some success with Sixx am, his recorded playing could be worse, his schtick was always annoying but it only got horrible later on after he used guns to make some money.

However, how he even lasted after the first tour is beyond my comprehension.

Sixx:am are generic radio rock and the guitar playing is really little to warrant the guy being signed up for GNR though, I think his solo spots are pretty good, I've checked out some Addiction to the Friction and it ain't that bad, I have some hopes he could do a thing or two on a record if he's one of three guitarists and not the star of the show as he would demand to be. He is nowhere near as skilled as BBF, Finck, Bucket and it seems Fortus and his live shows aren't particularly inspiring, he is popular because he abuses social media with his swag and hashtags and his stint in Sixx:am, not terrible stuff but again, his inclusion as the lead player in Guns just baffles me.