Has your opinion of former 'new GNR' members changed since they've left the band?

I think DJ is making Robin Finck look better in many people's eyes these days...

I've seen many people express respect for Buckethead, mainly for his artistic integrity and willingness to walk away from a big paycheck, compared to previous years when many just focused on their dislike for his persona and style.

Even Paul Huge isn't getting any shit anymore!

Why would I stop to think about some hired musicians that are now gone? They are so insignificant to the history of the band as a whole that I don't even bother myself thinking about them. Paul Huge... You gotta be kidin', right? Who is he? Some baker from your neighborhood?

• Like 1

I think DJ is making Robin Finck look better in many people's eyes these days...

I've seen many people express respect for Buckethead, mainly for his artistic integrity and willingness to walk away from a big paycheck, compared to previous years when many just focused on their dislike for his persona and style.

Robin Finck is a genuine artist that works with a high-calibre band like NIN. Dj works with a fucking Motley Crue off-shoot.

Anybody that criticized Buckethead because "his persona wasn't compatible with the GNR image HURR DURR" is intellectually inferior.

Say what you want about Paul Huge - certain people resent him because he is falsely perceived as causing Slash to quit - but at least he enabled Axl to write new songs.

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 3

I do believe that guys like Josh, Robin, Brain and Bucket at some point were in the band to do something great, not only collect pay checks and cover old GNR. They left one by one and didn't come back (actually Robin did) for the same reason: They wanted their music out there, which of course would give them money, but they wanted it, they probably fought for it, got annoyed by it and left it. I can have some respect for them, specially Robin who's my favourite guitar player ever.

My opinion of Axl is the only one that really changed. From a big idol to someone I have no problem laughing at.

• Like 1

My opinion of Robin Finck has not changed. I didn't like him, I still don't.

As for Buckethead, I knew he was one hell of a guitarist from the get-go, although it took time to get used to his appearance.

P. S. Yeah, and happy birthday to Izzy Stradlin!

Edited by Scumcat Esq.

Yeah

Aren't we're fans of nostalgia anyway? :lol:

I've just watched Robin for the 2nd time with NIN here in Brazil, and the guy just rocks and kicks DJ's ass!!!

Why would I stop to think about some hired musicians that are now gone? They are so insignificant to the history of the band as a whole that I don't even bother myself thinking about them. Paul Huge... You gotta be kidin', right? Who is he? Some baker from your neighborhood?

He is the co-author of Back off bitch and IRS, for example...

I don't give any of them much of a thought. They are all interchangeable parts to me at this point. This band is Axl and a bunch of guys.

I did somewhat lament Bucket's departure after hearing the album and hear how good he was on it. But not so much so I pine for him.

I actually find people that pine over any of these guys (Slash, Bucket, Robin) rather silly. Once they are gone, they are gone. Crying in your beer about it won't help anything.

Maybe if I were a kid when Buckethead was in the band I'd have given a fuck how he dressed. That whole "he's too much of a freak" repeated by grown ass men when discussing Gn'R at the time always made me laugh. Slash can never be replaced but Bucket was cool.

I am a fan of everyone that has ever been in Gn'R past and present.

Edited by xGNRxSTARx

Yes. But also I didn't know how bad it would get. As has been said, earlier incarnations actually gave a shit about the band. I remember thinking Bucket was weird at the time but we'd kill for him now. I wasn't a big Robin Finck fan, but like Bucket he's so much better than the current. That band now feels weirdly "classic". Richard and Bumble have that feel to me where if it were to continue without them I would miss them. I guess its mainly the guitarists. Everyone else is expendable.

However, this is also missing people that to me were never GNR in the first place so it is in a way like missing members of a tribute band. But yeah, those guys were the real deal in retrospect and could have provided a cool second act if they made their own music.

Bucket. When he was in the band I was like "wtf" but after being dragged into some of his solo stuff lately, the guy really is talented. But it has nothing to do with the new guys or their skills, though Ashba would make it easy.

Edited by Thin White Duke

I thought highly of Bucket and Robin before they joined GN'R. I don't think they were the right fit, but I was always excited to see what they could do together with Axl. I'm still patiently awaiting.

I still don't understand the Paul Tobias thing. I'm lost as to why he was necessary.

Josh Freese always seemed like a cool guy in and out of Guns.

Not at all. Finck is still a shitty guitar player that the band would have been better without and Bucket was always talented, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a moron in a chicken coup that either ran away because Tommy hurt his feelings or management lied to him. Not much intergrity there. Never had any issue with Paul.

My opinion of former employees hasn't changed.

More than anything else, each was in GNR for the paycheck. That was reason number one. And waaaaaaay below that was BH and Robin thinking they'd maybe start something artistically satisfying.

And every single person in the "band" right now is there because of the money. They were nobodies before Axl hired them, and they'll be nobodies once he inevitably fires them. They all know they'd never make even a fraction of this paycheck without Axl touring on nostalgia.

Not at all. Finck is still a shitty guitar player that the band would have been better without and Bucket was always talented, but that doesn't change the fact that he was a moron in a chicken coup that either ran away because Tommy hurt his feelings or management lied to him. Not much intergrity there. Never had any issue with Paul.

Hilarious. Bucket was a moron (douche bag) with a fucking KFC bucket on head. Good god. Finck- never did like. Maybe Bucket er "dick" head should team up with the current resident idiot DJ Ashba. Ohhhhh I forgot "TM".

Hilarious. Bucket was a moron (douche bag) with a fucking KFC bucket on head. Good god. Finck- never did like. Maybe Bucket er "dick" head should team up with the current resident idiot DJ Ashba. Ohhhhh I forgot "TM".

You're a complete idiot. You don't have to like Buckethead, but the guy is fucking talented and at least brings his own flair to the songs. I mean, you've gotta be smart enough to admit that.

I always liked Robin, he was a cool guy and he had a great onstage relationship with Richard. The rest I have never really cared about, though I have never liked Buckethead. I understand that he is a good guitar player, but I have never really been into the whole virtuoso guitarist thing, I don't like Vai or Satriani or Malmsteen, and to make it worse he wore a Bucket on his head, I could never really decide whether he was just one big joke or not.

Robin Finck; terrible guitarist when it comes to play material other people wrote. I don't know what he has done in NIN and I don't care but if I gotta judge him by his work on Chinese Democracy, I would say he didn't disappointed me. I liked what I heard.

Buckethead; found out about him when I saw Rio 2001. He blew my mind. Incredible guitarist. Loved his looks, bucket in his head, yellow raincoat at the beginning of the show, the robot moves, green eyes for November Rain, the mask, the chicken solo or whatever. The way he played (live proof that a fast guitarist can also have a sense of melody). Loved his Nightrain and KOHD solos. His work on Chinese Democracy is great too. TWAT outro is the best part of that awful record. When I found out why he left Axl's band I couldn't do nothing but applaud him. A true musician with a big sense of integrity.

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 1