Zappa/Axl parallels

The only parallel I can think of is Zappa had Steve Vai in his band, and Axl had Buckethead in his band.

Vai is one of the few guitarists who can touch Bucket in terms of overall skill set.

Bucket is good, but he is no Vai....

Sometimes you Bucket fans get a little carried away.

Maybe I didn't phrase that quite right: Vai is one of the few guitarists who can do what Bucket can do; that's what I meant. Sorry it wasn't clear. Bucket, likewise, has a rare skillset and is capable of performing much of Vai's compositions. I used to post on Vai's message board a lot and Bucket was the topic of many detailed discussions and analyses by guitarists who know more than you do. No offense.

Edited by saber_

The only parallel I can think of is Zappa had Steve Vai in his band, and Axl had Buckethead in his band.

Vai is one of the few guitarists who can touch Bucket in terms of overall skill set.

Maybe I didn't phrase that quite right: Vai is one of the few guitarists who can do what Bucket can do; that's what I meant. Sorry it wasn't clear. Bucket, likewise, has a rare skillset and is capable of performing much of Vai's compositions. I used to post on Vai's message board a lot and Bucket was the topic of many detailed discussions and analyses by guitarists who know more than you do. No offense.

Wow I had no idea I was in the presence of such a discusion forum legend. Detailed analyses huh? I wish I was around for such a round table discusion, I am sure I would have learned a great number of things. I feel so much more enlitened now, thank you and cheers. :)

Wow I had no idea I was in the presence of such a discusion forum legend. Detailed analyses huh? I wish I was around for such a round table discusion, I am sure I would have learned a great number of things. I feel so much more enlitened now, thank you and cheers. :)

Well I know i'm not quite as legendary as the guy who impresses 13 year olds on xbox live with the number "420" in his screen name, but all I was trying to convey was that on Vai's own official site, Buckethead got quite a bit of respect and his playing was often discussed and dissected by the uber Vai fans who post there, many of them advanced guitarists. :thumbsup:

Well I know i'm not quite as legendary as the guy who impresses 13 year olds on xbox live with the number "420" in his screen name, but all I was trying to convey was that on Vai's own official site, Buckethead got quite a bit of respect and his playing was often discussed and dissected by the uber Vai fans who post there, many of them advanced guitarists. :thumbsup:

Wow again, you resort to name calling based upon my screen name? You sure are cool!!! I love all the assumptions you make about me when you don't know a single thing about me. You really are a class act. BTW anyone that uses the word "uber" should be castrated just to for the sake of humanity.

Wow again, you resort to name calling based upon my screen name? You sure are cool!!! I love all the assumptions you make about me when you don't know a single thing about me. You really are a class act. BTW anyone that uses the word "uber" should be castrated just to for the sake of humanity.

Oh I see, so when you participated in the 4/20 thread, you were just posing? Got it. I apologize for the name calling and classless behavior.

Back to the discussion:

Bucket is in Vai's league. You haven't offered any argument to refute that, other than you think I'm wrong. I've offered the argument that I've seen highly detailed comparisons by advanced guitarists on Vai's own message board; discussions where they pore over technique and theory, and compare and contrast the songs.

P.S. Anyone with "420" in his screen name should be castrated for the sake of humanity.

Edited by saber_

Hey dickhead, all I said was I don't think that Buckethead is in Vai's league. You in tern made backhanded remarks towards me. I politely rubutted, then you again made negative comments towards me. Go a head and report me if you want, but you started this shit. What because I don't worship at the alter of the all mighty Bucket, that deserves being attacked? You sound like an 18 year old douche that can't handle an opinion different than their own.

For the record, I like a fair amount of Bucket's playing, but any guy that has to hide behind a mask and have dogshit on the floor of the recording studio in order to feel "inspired" has some serious mental problems. I realize many Buckethead fans like his little mysterious persona, and will defend it to the death. But to many of us it highlights his weakness, not only as a guitar player, but as a human being. Fucking be yourself, not some fucking freak show, I was glad when he left gnr. He is a great guitar player, but outside of gnr, what music has he created that people outside of his little "niche" even know about? Can't say the same about Vai, he is pretty much a house hbold name, not in the same league. I don't care what anyone on any message board says. The fact you use a message board as some sort of "facts" just highlights your ignorance.

Well apparently you're talking about notoriety and being a "household name." I guess it wasn't clear that your criteria involved so many things that have nothing to do with the actual playing itself. I was talking about actual skill sets and technique and theory. And you seem to be repeatedly forgetting (all that 420 action interferes with learning and memory) that the whole reason I brought up Vai's message board is because those are major Vai fans posting on there. And like I said, they gave Bucket a lot of respect and credibility as a guitarist. They compared and contrasting the techniques, playing styles, and theory used by the two guitarists, and seemed to think Bucket was in Vai's league for the most part. But I guess they're all wrong because it's a message board, right?

• Like 2