Lets be honest....Axl can't sing anymore

Axl can sing perfectly fine. Axl cannot sing Guns N Roses songs anymore.

If I buy a Corvette, and design a race track around it, and take shitty care of it, I cannot expect to drive that same track at 200,000 miles on that same Corvette. Axl's voice is a worn out, beat down, not maintained Corvette. Great in it's day, not taken care of.

I should also add that Axl never really used proper singing technique, so add redlining to that Corvette scenario.

• Like 2

Axl can sing perfectly fine. Axl cannot sing Guns N Roses songs anymore.

If I buy a Corvette, and design a race track around it, and take shitty care of it, I cannot expect to drive that same track at 200,000 miles on that same Corvette. Axl's voice is a worn out, beat down, not maintained Corvette. Great in it's day, not taken care of.

I should also add that Axl never really used proper singing technique, so add redlining to that Corvette scenario.

You're actually spot on. I lol'd, but it was spot on.

I was listening to the April 6th full gig video on my car speakers earlier and I honestly thought it sounded pretty good for the most part.. No great old Axl or 2010 rasp in sight I got all the way to my Michelle and he was pretty solid up to that ..

Chinese was good

Wttj was not horrible

Easy I really enjoyed

Brownstone was brownstone

Estranged wasn't great

My Michelle works in the voice he has now I think I liked it

Rocket queen wasn't bad

I think the throat has shown some life when he gives some effort

Let's see if he pulls out some rasp for golden gods he has no reason to hold back there

Songs he is good at include:

WTTJ

It's so easy

Brownstone

1st part estranged

Don't cry

Patience

Seeker

Live and let die

KOHD

Chinese democracy

Some hate some love include:

Sweet child

This I love

Catcher

November rain

Songs that are just not good:

YCBM

Paradise city

Better

The singing parts of Civil War

2nd part of estranged

Rocket Queen

Some hit and miss include:

You're crazy

Shackler's revenge

Nice boys

Nighttrain

I know I'm missing some but this is the general outlook I think. His low voice is intact. If he would be on his third album of new GNR he could just play his new songs. But instead he forces himself to sing songs he could pull off only when his voice is at his best. He's too hit and miss to attack songs like YCBM. He needs to respect where his voice is and sing the songs he can pull off.

People said he couldn't sing anymore after attending concerts in 1993, probably before that too.

People said he couldn't sing anymore when he resurfaced at the turn of the millennium.

People said he got it back by 2006...etc etc etc

His voice obviously yoyos between great and lousy and always has done- probably due to not taking care of his voice and all that entails.

Personally I thought he was great in 06-07, was noticeably worse from 09 onwards and in 2014 sounds shockingly bad....but I don't think that's it.

I'm sure if he put the work in he could sound good again.

People said he couldn't sing anymore after attending concerts in 1993, probably before that too.

People said he couldn't sing anymore when he resurfaced at the turn of the millennium.

People said he got it back by 2006...etc etc etc

His voice obviously yoyos between great and lousy and always has done- probably due to not taking care of his voice and all that entails.

Personally I thought he was great in 06-07, was noticeably worse from 09 onwards and in 2014 sounds shockingly bad....but I don't think that's it.

I'm sure if he put the work in he could sound good again.

His voice was ON. FUCKING. FIRE. in 1993.

• Like 3

I gotta admit, I just spent the past weekend really checking out all the past few gigs with duff and it's so frustrating because there's times where that rasp, power and talent shines through, but by the next verse he just loses it. And when it's bad holy shit he really sounds like he should hang it up. I keep holding out hope that he'll bring it back like in 2006 but to be honest most of the time he sounds like he just can't sing. For some reason I feel like it's still in him, but for the love of it I can't see why he just doesn't bring it. It's so sad

I really wish the rasp would come back. But to say this is a man who can't sing, or that this is "shit" is simply insane.

Even You Could Be Mine, which is one of Axl's weakest songs. There have been many worse reinditions that the latest ones, in every single year since 2000 (except 2006 and 2010)

His voice does not crack on this tour. While mostly clean, he hits every single note, and with good power. Now I'd obviously rather see him put some drive into it, but still, this is far from a shit singer.

• Like 1

Ok I know this thread is about being honest, but let's be fair to Axl. Less than a year ago he was working on a much stronger voice. There were still hiccups in his voice on some songs, but he started to find a pretty damn good voice leading up to the gov. Ball.

Nighttrain from June in Kansas was great! It's one example of how strong he had gotten his voice again.

Now I think Axl got lazy and quit singing from August until this current tour. Which caused the lapse in voice this tour. But if he can keep singing consistently going into vegas I think he might pull off some much better performances. If he can rasp a paradise city in full then I'll say it's a success! Yes expectations may not be high, but I don't think all is lost with his voice. I don't see 2010 coming back but I can see him minimizing his Mickey performances in Vegas.

• Like 1

He can't sing like he used to. But I agree he's still a very good singer. His baritone voice is still spot on and his higher registers are clean but have lost some of the snarl and power obviously. The rasp missing seems to be a sticking point and obviously that's understandable since it's what he's known for. However saying he's a bad singer is not correct. He still puts on a good show and is a very talented singer and performer.

• Like 3