Botched execution in Oklahoma

Redhead74

When there is absolutely no doubt as to the guilt and the crime is heinous enough I'm in favour of capital punishment.

I'm also not opposed to the punishment fitting the crime, including what would probably be described as torture.

I know this is probably abhorrent to some of you but I think we could take a leaf out of some Middle Eastern countries when it comes to human scum.

I'm a little less severe I don't think torture is the answer

But for the worst of the worst they should get life or the death penalty(As long as it's quick)

You're right. He should have been given a bullet to the head long ago. Seriously. One shoots a young lady and watches her be buried alive. The other RAPES and KILLS a baby. Let me repeat: RAPES and KILLS a baby. Just wrap your head around that...........

And I'm supposed to feel sorry for his pain? HIS pain?! Fuck. That. The only thing I disagree with is that these complete wastes of space sat in prison with three hots and a cot while we have homeless and hungry veterans out there. Bullets are cheap and if done correctly, painless and instantaneous.

This. As most of you who have read my posts can surmise, I'm pretty liberal. But I have no fucking tolerance for crimes like this. I know that the "right" answer probably lies somewhere in attempting to rehabilitate these individuals... I know that many European prison systems are based on that, but I'm not sure if it would work in America, given the country's size and cultural diversity. This is one of those seldom cases though where I think the "right" answer is not the "best" answer. If you commit a grievous crime like these men did, you deserve punishment. In my opinion, they got off easy. There's been a lot people in this thread throwing around the term "inhumane." Humans have existed on this planet for upwards of 100,000 years, and I'd bet every penny I have that we've been killing each other for the same amount of time. It's unfortunate, but malevolence is in our nature. That's the whole point of political philosophy, the suppression of primal animal instincts in favor of self-discipline, wisdom, courage, and justice. Now where most political philosophers would disagree with me is in regards to violence - they would argue it is never correct to bring harm to another human being. I'm not saying we should torture every felon, but this notion of "if we treat 'em nice then it'll correct the behavior" is rubbish (I admit that's a reduction of the argument).

Obviously we can always try to improve, but can you change human nature? I don't think so. There will always be people who commit treacherous actions, regardless of reasons why or life backgrounds. Why do we say to them, "You did this because there's something wrong in your mind, we (law abiding citizens) will rid you of this poison so you can be cured, and whole." Fuck that, I know I have a very negative view of human nature, but I don't think these individuals deserve our help.

For things like murder, rape, torture, etc., punishment should be punishment, not rehabilitation. Theft, fraud, etc. I think are lesser crimes that can be successfully rehabilitated, and not only that, but those crimes are more common "everyman" mistakes (albeit, they are still poor lapses in judgement).

this is exactly how i feel. there is a difference to someone who fucked up/made a mistake and a rabid animal.

I honestly couldn't care less that this guy suffered before he died. Fuck that piece of scum, he shot and buried a 19 year old girl alive.

I understand in theory why some oppose the death penalty and at it's core that argument is sorta about equality. But that's fantasy, people are NOT equal, and some, like this guy, simply deserve to die. I'm not losing any sleep over this being botched.

If he buried a girl alive I couldn't care less if he suffered

Tax payers also pay for death row which is more expensive than life in prison.

We could just kill them as soon as they are proven guilty, but that would make us tyrants.

At least that goes to something they want.

They could at least be cheaper about it.

It makes sense SoulMonster. It's sad though. Really sad.

Is it also sad that someone who raped and murdered an infant suffered a fraction as much as the family of the infant and the infant itself? Yes, let's allow him to live a long life at taxpayer expense.

We could just kill them as soon as they are proven guilty, but that would make us tyrants.

This and this. Convicted and given the death penalty? OK, kill the motherfucker sooner. Especially with crimes as heinous as this. I do not want to continue to pay taxes for someone to live in a confined prison after shit like this. There's no coming back.

• Like 1

I bet he was a different person now than in 97/99. If you are up for the penalty, they should do it within a year or two. People change as they grow older. Maybe he never did, but i bet a lot of the people that died 'were different people' than when they commited their crime 15 years earlier.

I bet he was a different person now than in 97/99. If you are up for the penalty, they should do it within a year or two. People change as they grow older. Maybe he never did, but i bet a lot of the people that died 'were different people' than when they commited their crime 15 years earlier.

Anyone who can commit such a heinous crime against an infant has something irreparably wrong with them. It doesn't matter if he's 19 or 59, criminals of this type will never change. You cannot "fix" a pedophile. They don't grow out of it. It's not like deciding you don't like tennis as much as you used to.

• Like 3

I read about this guy in the paper today.

He was a rapist and killer of a baby. I only wish he suffered more before he died. People like this don't deserve to rest in peace.

I hope that when you are truly a horrible person, you continue to suffer after death.

Anyone that does that to a baby or a child deserves to suffer. I think they should have hanged him or used the gas chamber, just so that he would suffer more before he died.

I have no sympathy for killers of children or animals. I hope he suffered until his last breathe.

• Like 1

Yes, they have years to reflect and read the bible. They find God, forgiveness and peace within themselves. They are repentant for their sins, become mentors to the other rapists and murders, spread the good word and assure each other God will have mercy on their souls, etc., etc. It's quite touching. And imo a load of bullshit. They'll get zero sympathy from me.

• Like 3

Guest Len B'stard

Still unsure how you can botch an execution if he dies anyway.

Reminds me of that scene on only fools and horses talking about how cops killed their old man and set him up, they said it was a suicide attempt gone wrong...or right, depending on how you look at it, they say he tried to hang himself with his suspenders and bashed himself to death on ceiling :lol:

• Like 1

I can't consider any country that has death penalty a civilized country.

Why not just lock up the fucker who hurt someone for a time based on how dangerous they can be and to discourage thrm from repeating that. What's revenge good for?

usually for the family of the victims mental well-being...eye for an eye...even in primitive socities when they found someone to be corrupt they'd toss 'em off a cliff

where does turning the other cheek actually get you?

but honestly i'm always back and forth on the issue

I can't consider any country that has death penalty a civilized country.

Why not just lock up the fucker who hurt someone for a time based on how dangerous they can be and to discourage thrm from repeating that. What's revenge good for?

usually for the family of the victims mental well-being...eye for an eye...even in primitive socities when they found someone to be corrupt they'd toss 'em off a cliff

where does turning the other cheek actually get you?

but honestly i'm always back and forth on the issue

I understand that theory but I don't think any family member of someone who was brutally murdered would claim afterwards that the execution made it all OK, or made them feel any better at all. At the moment they may have felt some retribution, but ultimately it solves nothing and brings justice down to the level of the murderer.

I also question whether there isn't more suffering on behalf of the executed individual by losing all freedom and being forced to spend the rest of his/her life behind bars and essentially being treated like a caged animal, contemplating his crime, than there is in a few minutes of suffering that ends existence.

• Like 2

For so much of my life I was all for the death penalty & when a serial killer in my neighbourhood was loose I signed all the petitions and was angry with my husband who wouldn't sign as he didn't agree with it. For some unknown reason I have turned that around & now I don't really like it & have heard interviews with people who say the person who killed their loved one being executed didn't give them the satisfaction they expected.

This man committed a henious crime, he was an awful awful person so I can see why people say it's good that he suffered. However from the documentaries I've seen he would have suffered a lot if he stayed in prison for the rest of his life, it looks a terrible place to be. Prisoners take care of their own gripes in jail and we saw that with Jeffrey Dahmer who was killed by other prisoners - this bloke would be looking over his shoulder for the rest of his life if he'd stayed in the prison system.

I've heard stories here as to what happened to some prisoners who killed a woman in a very brutal way, the case is well known in Australia & I have to say they deserve what they get if it's true. I understand one of those mongrels is now having to wear a bag as he can no longer use the toilet due to his injuries & I'm not sorry one bit. Let him suffer, he's young so he's got a lot of suffering to go through yet.

• Like 1

There is a difference between discussing the pros and cons of death peanlty and disagreeing with it and, on the other hand, not being very affected because this bastard's execution didn't turn out very well.

It even irritates me that people feel outraged for this , however we see a lot of shit happening to good people every day on the news and no one gets offended, not in the slightest. This society is either sick or idiotic. Or both.

It all boils down to an eye for an eye, that's capital punishment.

Justice here is based on redemption. (Here being the UK for me). I don't even think 'Life' means 'Life' here, unless you're old or done something really wrong, I think, IDK.

It's humane to belief in redemption, I think.

(And humane is good). :)

This botched execution however was not.

I fear it's incompetence at the Oklahoma state penitentiary where the botched execution took place - It's bad enough the state said he had to die, but what this prisoner must have suffered sounds horrifying, somebody should be held accountable.

Edited by Snake-Pit