Forum Changes - Merging Discussion and News, Side Projects and the Slash section

highvoltage

Not a great start, but I think it's worth seeing if people settle down with the nonsense threads after the initial few days.

We do need a thread about the guy who was responsible for Axl's mic stand in the old days, though....

I'm hoping we don't have to get nasty to stop people being silly, because that defeats the purpose of the whole exercise. I think it's just an expected reaction to things changing... I never really expected it to be easy at the start, and it hasn't been.

We've been deleting any posts from people straight out trolling, hopefully the useless threads will reduce in number within the first week.

I must be the only one who thinks this could be a good idea. This way many people who only visit the main section will see other threads and it will generate more discussion.

There is no much left to do given the current state of the band and the lack of things happening.

Thankyou. I'm not guaranteeing things will happen exactly this way, but there are a lot of positives that we're wanting to come out of this, and I think they will start to show through soon.

I don't think it's an awful idea, I just think it should have limits. I just feel it should be limited to classic members, current members, Finck/Buckethead. Anyone else should be regulated to my world imo.

Well, it's funny you mention Finck in there because the only limit I've really thought to impose so far is moving the NIN tour thread back to My World (where it probably has the most interest). I think a thread about Robin/NIN that was focused on him going back and forth between GN'R and NIN, or about Robin's playing in general is what belongs in the main section.

Other than that, I think that threads about current, classic and "notable" former members should naturally rise to the top and crap about Gary Sunshine should to sink to the bottom. I know what you mean, but limits are hard to come up with because they're confusing for people, and change is a difficult enough process for some as it is.

I'm actually very against having NIN tour news in the main section as well. But I know Finck fans will come out in droves to defend it. I agree, it belongs in My World. A general Finck appreciation thread is fine, but coming to a gnr page to read about NIN is just weird imo. But as you said, change takes time. You guys are awesome 99% of the time, so I'm fine with everything you all think is right.

• Like 1

I think the problems of the D&N section are not going to change just because you bring in other topics. It's the posters who are responsible for the tone and quality of discussion. No one is forcing regulars to discuss the rubbish they talk about and argue among themselves. They are the ones dragging that section down.

What was good about the Slash sub-forum, is that barring the odd cupcake, it was free of that. This may have meant it was less active, but for a casual visitor, it felt reasonably active to me. It forced people to seek out discussion on Slash, so most posters were fans, now any fool who's logged in will add their 2c.

I don't like it, but I understand why you're trying new things. I hope the mods do keep an eye on the cupcakes.

• Like 1

This focus on mythical cupcakes is fucking retarded.

They do exist, but I agree the supposed presence is vastly overstated by some.
Sure, but they're not the problem. As someone who is here pretty much every day, I saw that the forum was moving along swimmingly until the Golden Gods performance. Then you had almost everyone carrying along as usual, being honest about the performance, until the forum police showed up to berate people for their opinions. That's when shit went dark and a lot of folks stopped posting as much.
  • Like 1

Leprechauns? I swear running this place must be like kindergarten playground sometimes.

Sure, but they're not the problem. As someone who is here pretty much every day, I saw that the forum was moving along swimmingly until the Golden Gods performance. Then you had almost everyone carrying along as usual, being honest about the performance, until the forum police showed up to berate people for their opinions. That's when shit went dark and a lot of folks stopped posting as much.

because gnr went inactive after the goldengods? I think a lot of us were unimpressed with that performance but what can we do?

Edited by PITBOSS

I'm not a fan of the new format. It should be kept to current members and classic era members. Having Gary Sunshine and Paul Huge appreciation threads in the main forum is rediculous. Look at it from an outside perspective, that's like going to an Aerosmith forum and reading a bunch of Jimmy Crespo appreciation topics. People will be like wtf??? I just think it is going to create more problems than it solves.

I agree with you. It should be classic members and current members.

I think it's great! While I always took a peak at the Slash section, I wasn't normally inspired to post because there just wasn't a lot of activity. 7 posts in a thread of "sounds great" and "that's cool" really doesn't allow for interesting reading. What makes this place special and fun has always been the differing opinions of various members. People bitch about cupcakes, but the best threads are the ones where posters disagree (respectfully of course) and share different viewpoints. There are people who only post in D & N , and I think it will be interesting to see what they have to say about other topics they wouldn't usually comment on before. I have a feeling I probably won't even like what they post most of the time, so really, not much of a change to be honest. Except for the fact that there will potentially be a wider variety of topics to discuss, and I see that as only a good thing.

I consider myself a supporter of this admin/mod crew ... I even understand the idea of these recent changes but, IMO, this is a big mess :facepalm:

C'mon .... I want a main section where I can easily find threads about GN'R ... It sucks to having to search between threads about Slash's solo work, Izzy and the jo jo hounds, Gary Sunshine and others ...

Now, this is worse than mypjforum.com

Please, fix this as soon as possible :(

Edited by GUNNER PT
  • Like 3

I consider myself a supporter of this admin/mod crew ... I even understand the idea of these recent changes but, IMO, this is a big mess :facepalm:

C'mon .... I want a main section where I can easily find threads about GN'R ... It sucks to having to search between threads about Slash's solo work, Izzy and the jo jo hounds, Gary Sunshine and others ...

Now, this is worse than mypjforum.com

Please, fix this as soon as possible :(

The same goes for me. I really do love most things Subs and Voltage did to this place and the way they run it. But the thing is, I want to be able to ignore all the constant repetitive bullshit going on in the gnr main section for a week or two when I feel like it, and still be able to find that one relevant thread about Tommy or Izzy making a new solo album or whatever.

Basically, this kills one of the few quality sections of GnR-related discussion by throwing it into the big melting pot of GnR threads.

I don't need a Slash section, but I still feel a side projects section for former and current members would be very handy.

• Like 1

The same goes for me. I really do love most things Subs and Voltage did to this place and the way they run it. But the thing is, I want to be able to ignore all the constant repetitive bullshit going on in the gnr main section for a week or two when I feel like it, and still be able to find that one relevant thread about Tommy or Izzy making a new solo album or whatever.

Basically, this kills one of the few quality sections of GnR-related discussion by throwing it into the big melting pot of GnR threads.

This.

• Like 1

So far so good! For the first time in ages I spent more time reading threads in D & N than I did in AG. I don't know about anyone else, but I never joined this forum with the intention of reading threads about dresses and cheese. Other sections became a greater focus mainly because discussion in the main section has been either limited or extremely repetitive, and even downright boring for months or years at a time. This change is refreshing, especially for someone like myself who has been here for way too long. I'm no fan of Bucket for example, but it doesn't bother me whatsoever that he's being discussed on the first page. I may even open the thread later, and read something about his music I wouldn't normally have been exposed to.

People will whine about anything I suppose. Even something as silly as what is allowed to be discussed in a section of an Internet forum.

Awww, some people sound so unhappy and pouty, I think I might shed a tear if I hear more of these heartbreaking stories about how awful this all is. :(

• Like 1

It suck arse how hard is it to get a mod in the slash section what a piss week excuse. This is what happen on gnrevolution Will fucked with the lay out and everone got the shits and left its a ghost town about 3 people post there now.

Why not open your own forum if you're so unhappy with Evo and Mygnr? :thumbsup:

Edited by downliner
  • Like 1