We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

It is more complicated than that as the Rajas and the Indian elites adopted it and it filtered down from there, downwards to the ordinary people. Indian elites - and by India I am including Pakistan of course - wanted to be, English gentlemen in essence, and all English gentlemen were in amateur cricket clubs so it was natural that Indians followed suit. It is a bit like, Rome. Conquered elites would aspire to wearing the toga, attending bathhouses and speaking Latin.

Guest Len B'stard

Shit, i never even knew that for a fact, just kinda guessed it. So i was right then sort of? The few times i been the lads there love it, some of them their whole lives revolve around it, i mean they spend every day, entire days, in the blazing heat playing cricket. The amount of fights that break out and all that, it's like a whole culture centred around it, kinda like black lads in America and basketball.

i watched cricket a couple of times and i thought it looked like fun, problem is when do they run to the stick things? i thought once the ball was hit you are supposed to run back and forth between the two sticks? every game i have seen they hit the ball and if it hits the ground it is 4 points and if the ball goes over the fence it is 6 runs.

Guest Len B'stard

i watched cricket a couple of times and i thought it looked like fun, problem is when do they run to the stick things? i thought once the ball was hit you are supposed to run back and forth between the two sticks? every game i have seen they hit the ball and if it hits the ground it is 4 points and if the ball goes over the fence it is 6 runs.

You basically judge your run, you've got to whack the ball a good enough distance away so you can run between the stumps before someone can grab the motherfucker and crack your wickets before you get over the line, so you don't run after every hit or you just go out.

It is a bit like, Rome. Conquered elites would aspire to attending bathhouses.

See Lenny? At least that's one thing you can empathise with eh? :lol:

I knew this culture had a place for me, i fuckin' knew it! :lol:

You basically judge your run, you've got to whack the ball a good enough distance away so you can run between the stumps before someone can grab the motherfucker and crack your wickets before you get over the line, so you don't run after every hit or you just go out.

It is a bit like, Rome. Conquered elites would aspire to attending bathhouses.

See Lenny? At least that's one thing you can empathise with eh? :lol:

I knew this culture had a place for me, i fuckin' knew it! :lol:

oh so if you hit a good roller that rolls forever, then you can run between the sticks to get more runs, but if you try it and fail you basically fuck yourself out of runs?

Can we just kill all the septics in this thread, bar bran? :lol:

Anyway my boys are T20 champions. .... don't think they'll ever win the ODI World Cup again with how they choked the last two times.

Edited by Johnny Drama
  • Like 1

I've been hit in the thumb by an 85mph bouncer and it is not pleasant. Very difficult game and I have a personal best batting of 26 off 22 balls (I don't hang around, I'm a middle order finisher)

I was meant to play last week but injured my hip and groin during my first training session of the year and had to stop. Couldn't get in the team this week, maybe next week...

In Durham, our openers were trying to save the game. Jennings batted straight and hit the stumps at the bowling end while Stoneman was off his crease (you know how the other batsman sort of, trails he bowler in order to instigate a run?). So poor Stoneman had to go when he was on 40 or something. Cruel way to go.

It's kind of an old white mans game, isn't it? The sahibs game, the boys with the big taches and that. Ever notice how all men in India and Pakistan tend to have taches? It's a sign of manhood over there. I have a theory that thats a leave over from the colonialists too, all them old school 19th Century white men with those mammoth taches.

It is the reverse. the British stole it from the Indians. In Indian culture - then, as I suppose, now - to be clean shaven is seen as a sign of effeminacy. The conquering British, clean shaven in the 17th and 18th centuries, had taken this massive landmass yet could never be respected by the locals as imperial conquerors without impressive facial hair. So by the Victorian era, men were donning moustaches (and beards). No doubt it started with soldiers and colonial governors in India but spread, irrespective of whether you worked in the Raj or not to become de rigueur for the Victorian gentleman.

Edited by DieselDaisy

You may be interested in the word, 'acculturation' (i.e. how two cultures effect one and another). Empire is not one way traffic. Ghandi was a Middle Temple lawyer; India gained cricket, common law and the Westminster system; the British obtained the words ‘bungalow’ and ‘thug‘, and also, became addicted to tea (taken from China and transplanted in India by the British). Generally, the British liked to run their empire indirectly through colonial elites, and, the thing that the Moghal Empire shared with Great Britain was, it was unbelievably class-based (i.e. the Hindi caste system). The Romans did this also - it saved on cost and administration. You have to remember, there were two types of ’British India’: there was the portion directly administered by Calcutta (a Viceroyalty after the Great Indian Mutiny) and then there were the ’princely states’ where Indian rulers still administered directly over their territories providing they gave up a bit of tax to the British (and were not too, despotic).

So what happened was a sort of, Anglo-Indian elite culture which manifested itself in a love of royalty, cricket, hunting - and yes, facial hair.

Here is the exact figures:

STUMPS, DAY 1: Sussex 441-5 (Wright 183*, Brown 152*) v Durham at Hove.

A record sixth wicket partnership between Luke Wright and Ben Brown gave Sussex the upper hand on day one at Hove.

The pair put on 326!

http://www.durhamccc.co.uk/news/sussex-v-durham---match-report/

I know exactly what happened without reading the match report. Rushworth and Onions knacked themselves out and we were forced to play the part timers. Borthwick cannot bowl and Stokes is out, having had an operation on his hand, so our bowling attack is flimsy. It was the same thing against Yorkshire. There was a time where our opening batsmen, Jennings and Stoneman, were bowling for long spells!

• 3 weeks later...

Durham, 300/1 against Middlesex. I am probably going up tommorow (would have went today but I am knackered after jugging too much)

Currently listening the 5extra (Sussex v Notts) and Freddie is now talking about his return. Seems his doctors were a bit, over the top, when he retired in 2009; it was a pure accident how he bowled again. Some kid asked him to do it and he was shocked how little pain he felt. Seems to be doing it for the right reasons.

Are any of you Aussies aware of a player called John Hastings? I think he plays for Victoria and is knocking at the door of your test side - he had a stint in the IPL for Chenai also. He is now at Durham and he was very impressive, bowling fullish deliveries from a great height which then zip up off the pitch. He is also great with the bat, scoring quick runs.

Guest Len B'stard

Why was Hansie Cronje buried and not cremated?

They couldn't find anybody to throw a match :lol:

:rofl-lol:

Whats the difference between Luis Suarez and the KKK?

Suarez wasted 8 matches on one black c***

:lol: