We need a cricket thread here

DieselDaisy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ashes starts midnight (uk time). The most important sporting event of them all. Australia v England in a contest for world domination. 140 years of history encapsulated in a little urn. So many great moments - Botham's 149*, Laker's 19 wickets, Warne's 'Ball of the Century' - what moments will this series provide for us?

5 hours ago, Chris1989 said:

I've booked Friday off so that I can watch day 2 on delay. It'll probably rain now!

I remember when I was young and free staying up downstairs, midnight to eight in the morning horizontal, birds chirping and people starting to go out, with empty beer cans and stuff about, while McGrath is just about to complete his final over. 

I should probably point out that when I said ''birds chirping'' I meant the avian kind, outside, at dawn. I (unfortunately) did not possess a personal harem!

I would say that first day was honours' even. Old-school test cricket with England digging in and frustrating the hyped Aussie seam attack, but they struggled with Lyon and Australia will be happy they got Cook and Root out cheaply. 

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, megaguns1982 said:

Anyone watching the Ashes?

I was. Repeatably beating my head. Terrible (from an England perspective) but at least there has been some fight here at the MCG.

I have a feeling Australia will struggle in England 2019 and England will reclaim them. Same old story: England struggle on fast hard Aussie wickets and Australia struggle with English wickets that seam and swing laterally. (Both struggle in Asia on raging turners.) 

Only South Africa really travel well these days. Definitely a problem for test cricket, re-addressing the home-advantage. 

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I was. Repeatably beating my head. Terrible (from an England perspective) but at least there has been some fight here at the MCG.

I have a feeling Australia will struggle in England 2019 and England will reclaim them. Same old story: England struggle on fast hard Aussie wickets and Australia struggle with English wickets that seam and swing laterally. (Both struggle in Asia on raging turners.) 

Only South Africa really travel well these days. Definitely a problem for test cricket, re-addressing the home-advantage. 

I agree, I think they should have the one day series prior to the ashes not after. Let them get used to the conditions to make it a bit fairer.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been watching, since Friday, this astonishing game of cricket,

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2018/05/07/durham-following-256-runs-behind-conjure-astonishing-46/

Durham followed-on (Leicestershire needing 148) and won the thing by 46 runs. - James Weighell 7 for 32!!!!

Probably the greatest, most exciting, sporting event (Days 3 and 4 really) I have witnessed in person. 

Edited by DieselDaisy